Finally a Alfa Romeo owner.

Started by Joey, September 01, 2009, 06:30:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Joey

Hello all, I am a 19 year old New South Welshman with a passion for cars, mechanics and driving! I have spent time racing Karts and some speedway, so I get a kick out of something that handles well with good breaks and a fun box.
I just bought a 2L Alfetta which I found on the side of the street! It was at a price which I hope was good LOL $500. It is a bit hit and miss as far as cars go, the engine is excellent with the head done recently with mild cam shafts added. It has twin Webber carbs as well. Rust wise it doesn't appear to bad really, some rust under the rear window and front drivers side door isn't the best. The idler bearing is gone and the obvious noise is quite obvious although it is well and truly drivable. Breaks are very good and so is the suspension. The interiour is terrible besides the roof lining. Its all standard and its all there. The paint work is in need of a respray. It is two months out of rego and would need the Idler done along with some of the rust repaired for it to be put back on the road. So now the next part is what do I do with it! Is it worth more in parts, should I try to get it back on the road and I know that it will be expensive to change the idler, but how much will it hurt!
a very excited me.
http://www.facebook.com/home.php?ref=home#/album.php?aid=148458&id=531293848&ref=mf
(excuse the facebook photo album)

franck

hey joey, ill be selling lemons on the side of the road next week only $20.00@kg any chance you ll be drivin past???    here's hoping!!! ;D
sorry mate not taking the piss, but i thing your alfa experience is going to hurt...a lot!! i have not yet seen a profit on these cars or any cars for that matter, so buy to fix and enjoy for yourself
cheers

Joey

Quote from: franck on September 01, 2009, 07:41:40 PM
hey joey, ill be selling lemons on the side of the road next week only $20.00@kg any chance you ll be drivin past???    here's hoping!!! ;D
sorry mate not taking the piss, but i thing your alfa experience is going to hurt...a lot!! i have not yet seen a profit on these cars or any cars for that matter, so buy to fix and enjoy for yourself
cheers
Yea, I knew I was taking a gamble on it. I was only going to be selling it for parts if it turned out that it was beyond my budget/skill to try to get it running half decently on the road.

dehne

hi joey welcome to a new way of life dont stress you can get parts for these cheaply and most ofus alfa owners will have parts hanging in uor back yards that our other/better halves will be only to happy to get rid off had all the help u need is only a post away
now
1x 85 mdl road 90
2013 Giulietta 1.4
2015 Launch Edition Giulietta
Past
Multiple Alfa 90's, Alfetta's and 147's

Sheldon McIntosh

If you only paid $500, then you're probably ahead.  Worst case scenario, you shoud get that for the engine easily. 

Good luck putting it back together; as Dehne says, plenty of advice and/or parts on this forum.  Once you do get it on the road, then yes you will love the great handling.  Brakes will be so-so, gearbox will not be fun.  Sorry, but these cars are renowned for having a terrible gearchange.

Rust under the rear window is pretty tough/expensive to fix on these I think, but I could be wrong.  Mat?

Joey

I had a panel beater friend go over the car and with the general condition of the panels besides the bonnet being good he feels that I could get away with bog on the drivers side door and the rear window sill, its about 2" long (I hope that I can just find a replacement rust free bonnet). I might move over to the technical section for advice and the for sale wanted section for parts!
Thanks for the replies!

Mat Francis

Well dad hasn't welded for like 15 years, and he fixed under the rear screen pretty well i reckon. Definitely not something i'm capable of doing (yet), but should be pretty easy for any panel beater.

This thread for pictures http://www.alfaclubvic.org.au/forum/index.php?topic=1479.0
'83 Alfetta Sedan TS
'88 75 3.0
'85 Land Rover County
'87 Land Rover Perentie

MD

I repaired both left and right hand sides of the rear window area that had rusted out. This was a back to bare metal job so all the parts were off including window out. Still a tricky job due to compound angles involved but you can do anything if you have the passion so that's what you need do discover first...the humble brick can be an awesome machine if you want to make it so. However it will never realise the resale potential of a coupe. That's just the way it is..
Transaxle Alfas Haul More Arse.

Current Fleet
Alfetta GTV6 3.0
Alfetta GTV Twin Spark supercharged racer
75 1.8L supercharged racer

Past Fleet
Alfa GT 3.2V6
Alfetta GTV 2.0
Giulia Super 2.0
Berlina 2.0

Joey

Quote from: MD on September 02, 2009, 10:04:02 PM
I repaired both left and right hand sides of the rear window area that had rusted out. This was a back to bare metal job so all the parts were off including window out. Still a tricky job due to compound angles involved but you can do anything if you have the passion so that's what you need do discover first...the humble brick can be an awesome machine if you want to make it so. However it will never realise the resale potential of a coupe. That's just the way it is..
Thats whats making me think that I should wreck it and use the money towards something which might be a little more rewarding.