GTV project finally started!

Started by scuzzyGTV, April 23, 2009, 09:07:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MD

Well for your sake I hope the manual is for the car and not the honeymoon... ;D

...and oh yeah, speaking of honeymoons, did you hear one about the farmer with choking duck problem and the honeymooners living on the fruits of love ??  ;D
Transaxle Alfas Haul More Arse.

Current Fleet
Alfetta GTV6 3.0
Alfetta GTV Twin Spark supercharged racer
75 1.8L supercharged racer

Past Fleet
Alfa GT 3.2V6
Alfetta GTV 2.0
Giulia Super 2.0
Berlina 2.0

scuzzyGTV

So I'm back in the country. We had a fantastic time catching up with family and friends in the uk, and exploring Malaysia and Vanuatu. However I have come back with a big desire to get the car back on the road, very soon!

One of the things I have been contemplating is the guttering. Has anyone removed this from their cars, or is this a silly idea? Given that most of the rusting areas on the car are along the gutter I had thought it could be a welcome removal.

Anyway the plan at the moment is to remove the motor and get the car soda blasted then resprayed, whilst the motor is getting an overhaul. I would like to add fuel injection at this point and like the look of the dcoe style tb's, but it doesn't appear to be a popular conversion.

Looking forward to the next couple of months  ;)
81 GTV 2.0 - Red

scuzzyGTV

so as i desperately wanted to, got stuck into the car today and the result is half a heart replacement. at time is was incredibly frustrating, seeing as i dont have steriotypical small old italian man hands, but its out.

it'll be off to the mechanic this week sometime, so now its all onto the body so i can send that off to get sodablasted, cancer removed and a new lick of ar dutch blue added :).

on the removal we noticed that the front donut is shot, good thing it didnt fall apart whist it was being driven in high spirit!

here are a few pics of the end result...
81 GTV 2.0 - Red

scuzzyGTV

and the donut...
81 GTV 2.0 - Red

scuzzyGTV

what a way to spend a friday night!

a cold beer (not hard in tassie at the moment) and pretending to work on the alfa. just playing with my new toy, one of those fake dremel things. i thought i'd have a bit of a look at one of the rust spots on the rear end of the guttering. whike the hole isn't insignificant the amount of rust underneath was suprisingly less than i'd imagine. mind you its only one spot of many!

speaking of rust MD was a bit hesitant for me to restore the car originally, i can understand that, but it was my first ever car, so the likelyhood of me wanting to scrap it or sell it are quite remote, guess i'm just sentimental :D

anyway as much as i'd love to strip the motor myself and rebuild it, i just dont have the tools, or time to do it, so the motor is at my mechanics, i pick up a set of good cams tomorrow and hopefully i can get the old girl off to a painter soon.

anyway pics will come when i get around to it.

enjoy your friday eve!
81 GTV 2.0 - Red

scuzzyGTV

lets just say it'll be going on before the motor is stuffed back in!
81 GTV 2.0 - Red

scuzzyGTV

hmmm, got some annoying news yesterday.

not sure why but everywhere that paints classics in hobart seems to be stupidly busy. i thought there was an economic crisis on! anyway short story is i'm not going to get the car in to a workshop until at least late this year, bummer.

it looks like i'll be using snother place to have the works done too, as they seem to want to do projects a bit quicker than my mate, who still has cars sitting around in the same state as they were months ago!

anyway its friday, more beers and finals await!

scott.
81 GTV 2.0 - Red

scuzzyGTV

well progress has been much slower than i'd hope, but with a few problems sourcing parts this cant really be helped.

anyway with some help from Vin @ Pace i now have a nice new set of high compression piston, liners and rings  :D :D :D

so the motor should benefit from these next week.

still trying to get someone to do bodywork, but i'll sort that at some stage.

anyway thought i'd show you all my new parts and the view from my desk at work, shame the mountain is hidden by the clouds!

scott.
81 GTV 2.0 - Red

scuzzyGTV

pulled a few more bits off today, between enjoying the rare sight of sunshine, and have come across a small issue.

the exhaust system is completely welded from the start of the 2:1 pipe to tip. is there a simple way of getting it out, or will i need to remove the right rear drive shaft? i would prefer not to cut it!

cheers
81 GTV 2.0 - Red

scuzzyGTV

why is it that everything happens at the same bloody time??

been doing the SPAM reno the last fortnight, house is still a mess as we're removing walls, i'd rather be under an alfa than in th eroof. after finding some more bits that the previous rebuid had left off, the motor is together today!! tomorrow i had a guy coming to look at the body, hopefully he'll take it away in the next couple of weeks. should be getting the TS 'box sometime over the week too.

i can only hope that it all comes together smoothly, but i dare say it wont.

anyway here a few pics of the rebuilt motor, with another set of HC pistons, some fast road cams, and a nice clean, meaning no more oil in the plug wells! enjoy (i do!)...
81 GTV 2.0 - Red

scuzzyGTV

with the motor rebuilt we have now moved attention to the fuel injection. the basic plan is to gut the dellortos, use one of the screw holes to put an injector in each throat, run a single commodore map sensor from each throat and hook it all up to my new wolf 3d v4.

not sure if i'm likely to get anything from this, but has anyone got a base map for a 2lt alfa motor on a wolf 3d? i'm new to programming and this could be a great starting point, otherwise, i'll do a heap of reading and try to sort one myself.

hoe you all have a great christmas break, working on your pride & joys
81 GTV 2.0 - Red

scuzzyGTV

Well its been quite a while since my last update, same old story, Im still not use to adult life where I do nothing but work at work and work on the house. Needless to say that time management hasn't left many minutes for the poor old alfa  :-[.

There is however some good news. Managed to save the carbies from the drill (now i can rebuid my spare motor), and have instead installed a Nissan pulsar injection system. It is similar to a camira one, where the ports are a close match, we did make an adaptor plate to it, but there are may more of them, and they are heaps cheaper! In the end has cost about 250 for the system, which I believe is great value for a FI system.

I have pulled more stuff out, so it is almost completely empty inside and cut the exhaust, with a hack saw! My arm ached for days after that effort.

I have also taken to some of the bubbling spots of paint and cleaned the rust up a bit. To be honest it was not as bad as I had imagined, but the rest remains to be seen, literally!

So I have a few pics of the pulsar set-up and some more of the uncovered rust...
81 GTV 2.0 - Red

scuzzyGTV

and the rust...
81 GTV 2.0 - Red

scuzzyGTV

and some more *Gulp*...
81 GTV 2.0 - Red

Mat Francis

If that's the worst of your rust, you're laughing  :)

I gather the pulsar injection system is all fully programmable? Or are you going to build one from scratch? Love to hear more about the development of that.

'83 Alfetta Sedan TS
'88 75 3.0
'85 Land Rover County
'87 Land Rover Perentie