stud conversion

Started by BradGTV, April 26, 2009, 08:40:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BradGTV

is it possible to change my 1985 GTV to 5 stud??
79 gtv sr20, 83 gtv, 83 gtv6 3.0, 75 ts x 3, 85 gtv, 76 gt, 91 164, Subey L Series, S13 silvia, Bmw e30 318i, VT SS 6spd

alfagtv58

Yup, suggest having a look on the SA club website at the sponsors page, you will find someone there to point you in the right direction (or wait for one of the SA boys to chime in with some advice on where to get it done there).
1967 Giulia Sprint GT Veloce - (WIP) Strada
1977 Alfetta GTV Group S - Corsa - For Sale (http://www.alfaclubvic.org.au/forum/index.php/topic,9600.0.html)
2009 159 JTS Ti

Neil Choi

hi there

I have changed my 4 stud to 5 stud before.

For the front, you will need the 5 stud hub for GTV6 or 75 or 90, beware of the cone size on the stub axle.  I can't remember which one I used.  One of them had a smaller cone.

For the rear, you can change the hub or I just changed the entire dedion with a 5 stud pattern.  Unbolt the suspension, the cross member, the gearbox mounts and the watts link.

Neil

Storm_X

brad go to u pull it there is plenny of alfa 90`s there and take the hubs off
"Alfa Romeo built to excite.. Some dream of driving the ideal.. I drive it"

redalfaracing

Quote from: Choderboy on April 27, 2009, 10:36:29 PM

The rear is a different story, the bearings are extremely difficult to remove, and you need a special alfa factory tool to do this, and a VERY long lever, they are tight to say the least. It's a hard job on the rear, and yeah like Neil said you might even be better off buying a whole new DeDion because the bearings for the rear are very expensive, and you need to replace the bearings because you will break them getting the shells out of the hub.  You have to use new bearings when you change the stub axle.

It really isn't that hard. a 3/4 drive breaker bar and a 4 foot pipe to turn the nut and a crowbar to stop the hub from turning will get you started. the threaded spline will just lightly tap out of the center, then use a hydraulic jack to push the hub from the bearing (you will need a length of pipe etc to prop the jack to the oposite side of the dedion ) . this will ensure the bearings aren't damaged. put the new 5 stud hubs ( after cleaning ) into the deep freezer for a day ( or better still, get an small esky of dry ice from BOC for about $10)  then remove one at a time and quickly tap into the bearings after greasing them well. works every time ( i have done quite a few)
Greg Wyatt

'79 Alfetta PRC
'83 GTV6 3.0L 24v CRC Project
'83 GTV6 restoration project

alfagtv152

It is pretty much as Neil and Greg said but if you want even less work you can just undo the nut as Greg described and use a suitable puller,something like a 3 leg,and draw the hub out of the bearing and refit as described by Greg.The puller relies on the drive shaft etc to pull against but I havent had any adverse reactions to this method so far.
Cheers
Andrew
SEE YOUR BACKSIDE TRACKSIDE.White 156 TI JTS,Silly Speed.