cams log book and roll cage

Started by Mark54, January 24, 2008, 09:25:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mark54

Hi everyone,

Does anybody know how hard it is to log book a cage that you have built yourself?
I am doing it to the cams specs in both design and material and my brother is a steel fabricator so welding is covered but I am a bit worried about all the paper work with cams.
thanks
mark

Colin Byrne

No problem, as long as the cage is as specified in the CAMS manual and is the correct material just ring your CAMS state office and ask for a safty cage registration form  to be mailed out to you, its in triplicate so you can't download it. Simply Fill it in, sign it and take it with you when you get your vehicle log book inspection as long as you have interpreted and followed the rules correctly you shouldn't have a problem
72' 105 2000 GTV Red (tarmac rally/race car)
74' 105 2000 GTV Blue (road car)
68' 105 1600 Giulia Super White (Not sure yet)
01' Nissan Pathfinder (Tow car/Alfa support vehicle)

Scott Farquharson

Colin's spot on.  Probably also a good idea to find out your closest CAMS scrutineer, the one who will do your pre race inspection, and get him to look at your cage during the build as you don't want them knocking you back at the pre-race inspection once the car is complete.  Schedule J is not well written and the correct interpretation is not always the obvious one. 

I'm sure workmanship will be fine but if you haven't built one before some of the regs can be confusing.  The purpose of the safety cage registration form is so someone takes responsibility for the construction of the cage.  If you sign it, it means you are taking responsibility/liability for the the construction of the cage should it fail, you are signing/confirming that the cage has been built using specified materials and to CAMS specs.

Also don't forget all welds must be complete, that is all the way around the tube, even just under the roof, etc also watch any flattening of the tube at the bends and size of mounting plates.
Scott Farquharson
Group A Dulux Alfetta GTV6
Group S Alfetta GTV
Alfetta GT (GTAM?)

Gary Pearce

Just the subject that I need help with.
How do I go about arranging a visit from the CAMS scrutineer during mid-build of my group S racer Scott/Colin?
And the log book?
1966 Giulia GTC
1967 Giulia Sprint GT Veloce
1974 Metalic Green Montreal
1966 Giulia Super Blue
1980 Mazda B1800
1989 MX5
2013 MB C250 Coupe

Mark54

Thanks Colin and Scott, thats a bit of a load off my mind. I have built a cage before but I thought that I would do this one properly so that I can run as an improved production as well as Alfa sprints.

thanks
mark