So what do you reckon of Topgear Australia

Started by Davidm1600, September 29, 2008, 08:44:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sheldon McIntosh

Looking at him in the HSV he looked reasonably shortish, and "stocky".

Robin Doherty?

Fast Eddie

Jason Bargwanna then if shortish or even Max Wilson if skinnier.  Not a full time driver i would have thought?

You couldnt drag RD away for the bar long enough or keep him from talking  :D
Now -
nuffin
Then -
76 Sud L 1.3
85 33 1.5
00 156 Selespeed
77 Alfetta GTV - Group S project - "yellow peril"
86 SudSprint 1.5 - clubsprint car
77 Alfetta GTV - Tarmac rally/Group S
03 156GTA 3.2 manual
80 Alfetta GTV
07 166 -3.0 Ti.
86 GTV6

Simon Bidese

just to throw a cat amongst the pigeons - Mark Webber  :P

Davidm1600

I think their base is in NSW as this is where SBS is based from ?? I know they have used Wakefield Park for one of the tests (Ford GT).  So is Wakefield in NSW or Vic?  Obviously though they have already filmed from Tassie to SA, as well as Vic/NSW.

Re who is the Stig.  Buggered if I know, but then who is UK Stig ???  Plenty of suggestions - no confirmation.

Loved the idea of car lawn bowls and as for the horse and a tracker vrs a GPS.  As for the 7L Commode, what was wrong with it, 250Km/H is that all !!  What sort of "Supercar" is that?  My cousin's 1 day old '05 Audi A8 V6 Turbo Diesel easily did 230 on the autobahns with heaps more to go.  I know I was there beside him as we used up all 4 lanes of the road from his place to Weimar in Northern Germany, and it didn't have some stupid arial thrashing itself to death on the roof.     
Current:
2003 JTS 156 sportwagon
1969 Giulia sedan (x2)
1969 AC Fiat 124 sport

Past: '76 Alfetta 1.8 GT 
        '76 Alfetta 1.8 Sedan
        ' 73 2L Berlina

alfagtv58

I believe the test track is at Cambden Airport in NSW.  And Wakefield is in NSW (Goulburn).

They have also done stuff in Vic.  The Maybach was filmed on the Eastlink before it was open to the public and they also had the BMW X6 on that road before heading up into the Dandenongs with it.

The Aussie Stig, I rekon it could be John Bowe.

The UK Stig, plenty of rumour floating around about it being a bloke who was named in an investigation into Hammonds crash in the Jet car, he was supposed to be a 'high performance driving consultant to TGUK'.  He was named.....you want to know or remain a mystery?
1967 Giulia Sprint GT Veloce - (WIP) Strada
1977 Alfetta GTV Group S - Corsa - For Sale (http://www.alfaclubvic.org.au/forum/index.php/topic,9600.0.html)
2009 159 JTS Ti

Gary Pearce

Not sure about John Bowe. I have been in his company and I think he is taller than the STIG.....who looks like a weed.
1966 Giulia GTC
1967 Giulia Sprint GT Veloce
1974 Metalic Green Montreal
1966 Giulia Super Blue
1980 Mazda B1800
1989 MX5
2013 MB C250 Coupe

Mat Francis

couldn't remember where or when i heard it, but one of Jack Brabham's sons as the stig? Geoff sounds most familiar to me? 
'83 Alfetta Sedan TS
'88 75 3.0
'85 Land Rover County
'87 Land Rover Perentie

Gary Pearce

Wouldn't be Geoff, he is currently following a champ car career in the States. Brothers David or Gary Brabham is a possibility? I think we need one of Sheldon's chocolate fish as a prize to ferret out the correct answer.
1966 Giulia GTC
1966 Giulia Super Blue
1980 Mazda B1800
1989 MX5
2013 MB C250 Coupe

Davidm1600

Sheldon's chocolate fish - what are these ??
Current:
2003 JTS 156 sportwagon
1969 Giulia sedan (x2)
1969 AC Fiat 124 sport

Past: '76 Alfetta 1.8 GT 
        '76 Alfetta 1.8 Sedan
        ' 73 2L Berlina

Sheldon McIntosh

From Wikipedia:-

The chocolate fish, a "species" that is "indigenous" to New Zealand, comprises a fish-shaped confection, 6 to 8 inches long, made of pink or white marshmallow covered in a thin layer of milk chocolate.

The chocolate fish has become recognised tender as a "thank you", an apology, or a reward for a good idea — widely used in the corporate world and the public service, possibly because it easily fits within a standard envelope and can usually survive posting. A chocolate fish also makes a popular forfeit — among friends someone who makes a small mistake or loses a bet might expect to have to distribute such fish.

Chocolate fish have entered the New Zealand culture to the extent that any Kiwi can understand the expression, "Give that man a chocolate fish". The role of chocolate fish as cultural icon seems largely confined to New Zealand, although the confection has become available for purchase in some other countries.

I foolishly offered a chocolate fish as a reward in the magazine, before I realised that you don't have them over here.  Hence it is a rare and very desirable treat rewarded only to those with great knowledge, or for feats of great daring and courage.

Mums coming over for Xmas, I'll have to get her to bring a box.

Gary Pearce

Aussies on the other hand probably prefer the Chocolte frog, but thanks for the cultural education Sheldon. I always knew there was more to Kiwis. I vote David Brabham.
1966 Giulia GTC
1966 Giulia Super Blue
1980 Mazda B1800
1989 MX5
2013 MB C250 Coupe

Sheldon McIntosh

Gary Pearce

I visited there a few years bach and milk was delivered free to homes. Can you beleive that? but Drive-in theaters were banned. Crazy ha?
1966 Giulia GTC
1966 Giulia Super Blue
1980 Mazda B1800
1989 MX5
2013 MB C250 Coupe

1750GT

Hi Guys below is what I wrote under the general discussion part of this site after another member suggested that he watched Top Gear Aus regligioulsy? Come on guys get real, someone said that because we are used to the UK show we can't get used to the Aus version. These guys just aint funny and tell me what would a guy who hosts an ABC antique program, a motor cycle wiz and a hack know about entertaining punters about cars? See further below:

Mate, how do you watch the new Aussie series of Top Gear religiously? It's like watching my granny nit for an hour, watching grass grow etc. etc. the grating voices of these guys who know 2 tenths of five eigths of you know what but the more seethingly grating thing is that they think they are funny? These guys need to be put down and some staffers from Wheels/Motor/Street Machine, funny guys who actually know something about cars, should take over.

I mean tonight I tuned in to see how badly they would stuff up a test with a Porshe, Lambo and Aston and you have three guys just repeatedly saying "Gee how good this car" and "Gee it takes the bumps well" What the! The Pommy guys are cool, funny and more to the point they know how to tell a story, when to shut up and let the car tell the story and their funny, bring it on, I'll be taping every episode of the pommy gig as it's going to be more enjoyable watching repeats during the Aussie show season than watching this bunch of Aussie idiots.

1750GT

branko.gt

Quote from: 1750GT on November 17, 2008, 09:39:59 PM
Hi Guys....
and some more ........
and more .......
and ......
...............................................................................than watching this bunch of Aussie idiots.

1750GT

stop sugar coating it and tell us what you really think