buying an alfa spider yr 2000 luxury model,

Started by Darren, September 25, 2008, 11:08:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

hi everyone, i am going to be buying an alfa spider yr 2000 model, just wondering if any one can give  me advice ?

Help
0 (0%)
Advice
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 0

Darren

Hey guys and girls

as i have said i am looking at buying a alfa spider yr 2000 model, just wondering if there are any things i should be asking and looking out for.

i hope to hear back from you soon and looking forward to joining the club as soon as i have purchaced my Alfa.

Davidm1600

Hi Darren

Gees communication on this forum is a little slow of late.  Either that or they are all on the Alfabb.

Re your queries on purchasing of a 2000 spider.  Firstly good on ya !!  I have previously driven all of these models including spider, Twinspark GTV and GTV6.  Personally for me I loved the sound and feel of the GTV6.  I have a '69 1750 GTV and strangely both the GTV and GTV6 reminded me of my 1750, except that they are about 30 years newer and FWD.  Funnily enough I ended up buying a '03 JTS 156 sportwagon.  Probably something to do with that I needed a practical car to carry surfboards, skis, camping gear and house renno stuff and couldn't convince the missus that a 3rd sportscar wasn't unreasonable. 

Hmn anyway bcack to your queries.  Firstly my advice would be to check out what is available on www.carpoint.com.au or www.carsales.com.au or www.carsguide.com.au  I would say you should have plenty of spiders to choose from on this.  Otherwise check out ebay.com.au 

As to prices well this is largely dependant on the kms done, servicing history and general condition of the car.  If you can get it checked out by a reputable Alfa mechanic.  Depending on which state you are in check out the relevant Alfa club magazines (on line) for mechanics since most of the best ones are club sponsors.

In terms of things to look for, obviously mechanical condition is important.  The Twin Spark is a good motor and if well maintained as I understand it is very reliable.  Based on my 156 experience, do check out the front suspension for rubber bushes in case they are worn.  Similarly, do the basic checks like engine oil, coolants etc.  I am not so familiar with the Twin Spark as compared to the JTS engine in my 156 but I do know that they say that the belts must be regularly changed unless you want your engine to be ruined (ie. pistons meeting valves). 

The only other thing I am aware of is that some spiders suffered problems with the hood mechanism, so I would definitely check this to make certain it worked properly.  I can't recall if spiders came with the selespeed gearbox or not.  If they do, from my experience and on the advice of my mechanic I personally would avoid them.  Mind you I am sure you could find many owners who would say otherwise and are very happy with the selespeed version. 

Goodluck and hopefully someone with greater knowledge of th 2000 spiders will post some further advice for you. Cheers Dave

Current:
2003 JTS 156 sportwagon
1969 Giulia sedan (x2)
1969 AC Fiat 124 sport

Past: '76 Alfetta 1.8 GT 
        '76 Alfetta 1.8 Sedan
        ' 73 2L Berlina

Darren

;) Thanks for that Dave,

There are quite a few to look at, so i have many hours of searching to do! lets hope i get lucky and find the right one soooooon.

cheers Darren

John Hanslow

Have a good look at the other treads on this forum for any issues and things to look out for.

Do not forget to get an independant 'pre purchase' inspection that you pay for.  That gives you some negotiating leverage for price, roadworthy etc.

Come along to the next club night, introduce yourself and talk to the members and get some more info.

Regards.

Now:
2011 Giulietta QV

Previously:
1989 164 3.0  V6
2002 156 Twin Spark Sports Edition
2002 147 Twin Spark
2002 916 Spider Twin Spark
1990 Alfa 75 Potenziata