replacing rear brake pads alfetta gtv

Started by meizhak, August 25, 2008, 06:30:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

greengtv8

With the pads...adjust till the wheel locks up, then back off till just spins freely, usually back off about 1/4 turn...ish. In general, pads do touch the disc constantly, but shouldn't have any pressure on them. It is something that takes time/practice to get them just right.
      Rebuilding calipers is simple enough...lay the parts out as you pull it apart, don't lose anything, like the little circlips! take photo's as you pull it apart if your really not sure. When putting together dip the seals in brake fliud to wet them. This lubricates them and lets you slide the bits together nicely. Use the adjusters to push the pistons out and if it goes together correctly, the adjusters should pull them back in too. Don't forget to remove and clean the bleed nipples aswell. Calipers usually leak around the adjusters, especially when adjusting your pads, but if your doing a full rebuild, this should all be fixed. If you clean everything and dry it all, but then plan to leave while waiting for parts, etc, wipe pistons, the bores, and around the adjusters with brake fluid, this stops it all rusting up. If honing the bores, use brake fluid as your lubricant. Also don't wire buff the outside of the calipers, look nice and new when it all goes back in the car, but in a few months, the weather will get to them and they'll start to look very 2nd hand.
       There pretty simple but yell if you need more info...have fun!!! :)
Little green Alfetta gtv 1982
Fitted with:
Lexus V8 4Ltr
Supra w58 g/box
LS400 IRS rear susp.& 8 1/2' diff
Coil over's all round
Nissan R32 Front brakes
Peddle box,balance bar & adj.bias valve's
9 point roll cage(inc. engine bay)
Custom Extractors & exhaust
Custom body kit & under tray

meizhak

greengtv8

I might give the adjustment another go.from what your saying i think that maybe mine could be a bit tighter.
Good tip about the bleed nipples,they seem to collect alot of road grime in them.
I recently replaced the rear brake line. when i went to bleed it up three out of the four where ckocked up with gunk.

cheers
1979 alfetta gtv 2000`
series 1 alfa 33 1.7i 16v

shane wescott

Awesome thread guys. I have this job coming up on both my gtv6 and 75 tspark, and i now feel prepared.

I will have a go on the t spark first (can't practice on the GTV6!!!!!!!)

Catch ya

Shane
Current Cars:

No Alfa's :-(

Previous Cars:
1991 White 164
86 White GTV6 Zender Body Kit
90 Red 75 TS
98 Blue GTV 2.0
85 Red 33 1.5 TI
85 Red 33 1.7 Carby
83 Silver 33 1.5 GCL
70 Blue Berlina 1750
70 White Berlina 1750

70 White Berlina 1750 (my first)

Current Bikes:

2002 Yellow Ducati ST2 944

Sheldon McIntosh

If you really want practice you can come and help me put my calipers back on next week  :D  It's easy replacing the pads when the calipers are on the bench!

It's not too bad a job getting the calipers off, I just made sure I got lots of advice first, and was very careful not to strip any bolts.  Took about 3 hours to get both sides off.

I left the rebuilding of the calipers to an expert though, that's one thing I couldn't afford to get wrong, plus i don't want to have to do the job again in 3 months!