Barnfind GTV6...ok shed find

Started by Mike, June 10, 2017, 06:09:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bonno

Mike
Yes now that is an inspirational CAR, the Lancia Delta Integrale!! My Fiat X1/9 is a car I sold recently and was a good fun run about, but not in the same class. 
cheers
bonno.

poohbah

Mike, if you ever need someone to help give your toys an airing ...

A Delta Integrale has always been in my dream 10 car garage, right next to a Stratos.
Now:    2002 156 GTA
            1981 GTV
Before: 1999 156 V6 Q-auto
            2001 156 V6 (sadly cremated)

Mike

Airing it tommorow on the lancia club run.  Spare seat.
cars / projects:
Twinspark - Bonneville car build
85 GTV6 red
86 GTV6 3.2 quadcam on ITBs
Alfetta '74 sedan project
Alfetta '74 sedan 1 owner
'76 Alfetta GT blue
'76 Alfetta GT Twincharge
Fiat 128 3P
78 Ferrari 308 gtb
78 Ferrari gts
79 Ferrari gtb
Audi SQ5...well something has to run

Mike

Always liked yhe x19. Great car..sadly my 2m frame is not conducive to x19 ownership!
cars / projects:
85 GTV6 red
'76 Alfetta GT blue
Fiat 128 3P
78 Ferrari 308 gtb
78 Ferrari gts
79 Ferrari gtb

poohbah

Very kind offer Mike and I wish I could tag along - unfortunately I have to lay a concrete slab in my demolished bathroom!

Say g'day to Reg H-S if he's taking one of his multitude of machines out for a spin. His Fulvia is a joy to behold.
Now:    2002 156 GTA
            1981 GTV
Before: 1999 156 V6 Q-auto
            2001 156 V6 (sadly cremated)

GG105

Mike on tweaking the 2.5. These little engines pull above their weight, are very torquey and feel like more than 160hp. My guy reckons a big limitation is the size of the intake plenum and their ability to get enough air in, this limits fuel input. Comp, porting and extractors help, but as everyone knows there's no substitute for capacity.....
1959 Giulietta Sprint
1969 GT 1300 Junior
1970 Giulia 1300 TI
1975 Ferrari 365 GT4
1990 Mazda MX5
2005 BMW 330Ci
2014 Porsche Turbo

Mike

Ah yes...capacity.  True enough.  I've considered going for extra capacity..quad cam etc but have ultimatly decided that Ill save a big liter quad cam for my track car and focus on fettling the factories original intent rather than side stepping it.  So no literage increase on this one,  just a smidge up on compression and a properly built pair of heads. 

Good news today.  I've inspected the heads and they are in wxcellwnt condition. Valve stem seals are as new but or course will be replaced.  Seats will be redone,  valves are as new.  Water ways are corrosion free despite the huge buildup of crystaline junk. 

As can be seen its a good thing the passenger side head was removed as the valves have also seen some moisture which has resulted in the potential for a sticking valve with potentially unpleasant results.  Quite asside from that the coolant galleries and completly blocked in areas...would have led to uneven cooling and trpubled ownership..not what I am looking for!

cars / projects:
85 GTV6 red
'76 Alfetta GT blue
Fiat 128 3P
78 Ferrari 308 gtb
78 Ferrari gts
79 Ferrari gtb

Mike

Parts list has been put together so heads go off to Cilerbertie for machining on Monday.  They know their stuff when it comes to Alfas.

Now for some fun stuff....lets prep some cam covers!  Cant decide whether to crinkle paint black or simply bead blast and leave as factory intended...I personally love the black look as it makes the lettering pop.  Thoughts?
cars / projects:
85 GTV6 red
'76 Alfetta GT blue
Fiat 128 3P
78 Ferrari 308 gtb
78 Ferrari gts
79 Ferrari gtb

bonno

Hi Mick
Find attached a couple of photos that may help you decide. I am with you wrinckle black tappet covers, with either lettering natural finish or contrasting red as per photo GTV6 bling-1.
cheers
bonno

Mike

More like this I was thinking for the cam cover. 

cars / projects:
85 GTV6 red
'76 Alfetta GT blue
Fiat 128 3P
78 Ferrari 308 gtb
78 Ferrari gts
79 Ferrari gtb

bonno

Nice one Mike. Agree you need to bling the engine bay a bit and very hard to go past the wrinkle finish tappet covers, with the natural finish on the raised lettering is a matter of choice.

Mike

Snuck off to the shed thisarvo and got started on bead blasting the cam covers.  To anyone doing this be sure to thoroughly wash them after to remove sand...it does not go well inside your fresh engine!

I dont have the worlds best sandblaster so it was slow going.  After bead blasting both I'll then hand file and grind casting any dags.  I then polish the lettering surface.  Then washing any oils with isopropyl  alchohol.  Then heat the covers to an even temp in the oven before painting the crinkle paint.  Then its just a matter of carefully removing the crinkle from the letterimg to reveal the pre prepared polished surface. Some post polishing is sometimes needed.

Thats how I do cam covers anyway!  Any other tips welcome.

Other than I could not help.myself so I cleaned up the front bumper and grill a bit.  Not bad.
cars / projects:
85 GTV6 red
'76 Alfetta GT blue
Fiat 128 3P
78 Ferrari 308 gtb
78 Ferrari gts
79 Ferrari gtb

Mike

Here's an example of the last cam cover I did for my integrale.  If you want to see the full resto of the integrale you can swing over to 124turbo.com

https://t124.com/forum/forum/fiat-fans/fiat-fans-aa/14912-lancia-delta-integrale-evo-2-freshen-up

cars / projects:
85 GTV6 red
'76 Alfetta GT blue
Fiat 128 3P
78 Ferrari 308 gtb
78 Ferrari gts
79 Ferrari gtb

four90s

Hi Mike,

Looking good. They are a great car and even better with the three litre in them.
Just asking the question. I've never seen the finned cam covers on a GTV6 unless they've been added; I always thought they all had the smooth cam covers. Are they the original ones?

Regards
Steve
Adelaide.
Four90s
Too many others to list
(33 Alfas and some other things since 1979)

Mike

Yep they are standard cam covers. Just later model gtv6.  I am not sure what year they changed but early ones were smooth.

Cheers
cars / projects:
85 GTV6 red
'76 Alfetta GT blue
Fiat 128 3P
78 Ferrari 308 gtb
78 Ferrari gts