Rebuilding Burman Box

Started by ktachimoto, June 21, 2016, 10:40:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ktachimoto

Hi Guys,

I currently have the 105 GTV2000 on stands and undertaking a full restoration of the front suspension and steering.
Everything was looking good until I decided to pull apart the burman box to inspect it. What I found was pitted bearing races, a worn brass bush and sector shaft along with a case that looked good but had cracks not only where the worm drive enters, but also half way down the casting. (Explains why it was covered in oil and dirt)

I have been searching around the forums to try and find places in Melbourne that recondition these Burman boxes. I have enquired in the UK, but would prefer to have it done here. If not, i'll get cracking on fixing the case and getting the damaged parts off to the hard chromers.

Does anyone know of any places in Melbourne?

Paul Gulliver

You could try Luke Clayton up in Canberra. I think he does change overs as well.

http://www.alfaclubvic.org.au/forum/index.php/topic,13119.msg78536.html#msg78536

Paul Gulliver
Present
2017 Silver Giulia Veloce
1979 Silver Alfa 116 GTV Twin Spark
1973 Red Alfa 105 2.0 GTV

Past
2013 Giulietta QV
2006 Black 159 2.2 J
1970 Dutch Blue Series 2 1750
1975 Blue Alfetta Sedan 1.8
1981 Piper Yellow Alfetta GTV 2000
1985 Red Alfetta GTV2.0
1989 White Alfa 164
2000 156

Paul Byrne

Yes, Luke did my targa car box recently. It performed really well at targa Tas. Initially had a bit of play as things settled in but removal of one shim from the oval cover has made it almost rack like. Luke uses a non metallic bush and changes the input shaft to taper rollers, both of which appear to work well.
However I doubt he could use your case with the cracks in it. Not a simple matter to fix those and you might need to source another case. I think the cracking usually is triggered by the top cover bolts being loose--the end thrust on the input shaft bearings is then taken by the Al casing instead of the steel cover -and it cracks.
74 GTV 2000 tarmac rally
75 Spider
EX 51 Jowett Jupiter

ktachimoto

Thanks guys.
I'll get in contact with Luke.

Cheers