Cruise control on a TS

Started by GTVeloce, October 15, 2015, 04:14:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GTVeloce

Has anyone had success installing cruise control on a TS motor? It will be into a GTV TS. I am considering the Command AP60 model;
https://www.autoelec.com.au/ssl/public_autoelec/store_v4/product_detail.asp?id=2218&cat=52

Has anyone used this one? Any issues people have come across? Are you using a vacuum reservoir? Is there a better model or is it worth paying for one of the better models?

Ahem, my speedo isn't functional at the moment (will be soon - just need to finish wiring in the SGI-5) but does the CC need that? I think it just uses magnets to generate a speed signal.

Thanks in advance.

colcol

I fitted one to a Sud and 33, they work quite well, i would reccomend fitting a vacuum tank, as reserves of vacuum is a good thing, such as wide open throttle when going up a hill, with no vacuum, it won't work.
With front drives, you fit 2 magnets to drive shaft, with rear drive, you fit one, but pick up sensor needs to be rigidly mounted, don't fit it to body, fit it to motor or gearbox, so it will move with the up and down forces of the movement of the drive shaft.
I have found that if it say cuts out at 100 kilometres, then you have too many magnets on the drive shaft, but if it cuts out at say 40 kilometres, then it hasn't enough magnets, so you might have to use anywhere between one and three equally placed magnets, do what the instructions say and see if it works all right.
The gap from the fixed pick up to the magnets is usually 4 mm or 5/32 inch, i always find they work better at a minimum gap.
You can get a fully electronic unit that has a stepper motor to open and shut the accelerator linkage, but they are double the price and a well set up vacuum cruise with tank works fine.
There was also a model that uses the vacuum actuator with an electronic vacuum pump that is always supplying vacuum for actuator.
Some models use a pad that goes on the brake pedal, so that when you touch the brake, it cuts out the actuator, i prefer the ones that use the hot wire coming out of the brake switch, as they are more durable and easier to install, i always have the brake switch adjusted, so that i just touch the brake pedal and it cuts out the actuator, as opposed to standing on the brakes hard.
They also reccomend using a dump switch on the clutch, so that when you press the clutch and disconnect the drive, the computer doesn't try to open the throttle to make up for lack of speed and rev the motor to the billio, you can just put a brake switch on the back of the clutch pedal, the same way the brake pedal has a brake switch, or you can not put a switch on the clutch pedal and remember not to push it when cruise is engaged.
I always install the computer under the dash near the driver, so you can make adjustments to the sensitive setting on the acelleration.
The sensitive adjustment, depends on how much power the car has, if you have 600 horsepower, then you use the low setting, so you are not smoking the tyres all the time, but if you have a lower powered car, then you use the high sensitive adjustment, so that it doesn't take forever to get up to speed.
Also the sensitive adjustment will also change how quick the actuator stops gassing the car up, if you have a low sensitive adjustment, it may overspeed the car when it gets to its desired speed, also if you have the sensitive setting too high, it might cause it to be a bit jerky, that is up and down all the time trying to get to or loose 1 or 2 kays, you will just have to taylor it to your car, hope this helps, Colin.

1974 VW Passat [ist car] 1984 Alfa 33TI [daily driver] 2002 Alfa 156 JTS [daily driver]

GTVeloce

Thanks very much Colin for such a detailed response. Sounds like it should serve my purposes but I will add a vacuum pump as well. Cheers