156 2.0 JTS Wagon - any good?

Started by kiwirgv, June 11, 2015, 12:01:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kiwirgv

Hi all,

Looking at getting a practical car for semi-regular use. (I don't drive every day).

There are a couple of 156 JTS Wagons (in manual) for sale within my budget, and they seem way less boring than anything else I can think of in this segment.

I suppose my question is this: what are they like to drive? are they reliable? would it be a bad idea to buy one with say 170,000km on the clock? Anything you recommend I look out for?

Did Australia ever get the V6 with 6 speed Manual in the wagon variant? One of those would probably be the best compromise for me - would love a 147 GTA but realistically that will have to wait another year or two.

Or, would you recommend anything else interesting to fit this need? perhaps a stretch to a 159? Can a GTV6 be termed 'practical'?

Many thanks,
Josh

Craig_m67

I don't think any V6 sportwagons (manual or auto) were brought into Australia? 
Nor any GTA sportwagons (bugger). Although you could assemble one easily enough.

Typical issues with 156 extend to the wagon also.
I've had mine for 9 years, it's a diesel and the only one here, no you can't have it :)

What sort of use and driving are you doing?
I've use mine for anything; Tip, Bunnings, 2 children under 3 and a lazy lap of the Nurburgring, fantastically useful cars. 159 looks just as nice and is better built, has a wider choice of engine choices but seems to have less room and available space inside (seats don't fold flat for instance).  I prefer the 156.

Got a budget?
'66 Duetto (lacework of doom)
'73 1600 GT Junior (ensconced)
'03 156 1.9JTD Sportwagon (daily driver)

kiwirgv

Thanks for the reply.
As always, I'd like to spend as little as possible, but as always, my budget seems to go out the window by the time I find one that I really like...

I don't drive every day, It will be used for getting to/from work on the days that I drive, and for carting bicycles and sports gear, and the occasional road trip on the weekends.
I'd like to say I'd be doing laps of the nurburgring in it, but the reality is, it'll just be doing the A to B drives for the most part.
That said, I definitely do not want a boring econobox like every other car on the road, so thought the 156 wagon was a bit of me.

To that end, does the 2.0L JTS have sufficient "gusto" to make my A-B commuting a bit more exciting? is it powerful enough and is the chassis good enoug to have fun in the twisties?

Or should I spend the extra and get a 147 GTA? ::)

As far as budget goes, I see there is a red one that looks very nice on Carsales.com.au for $10k. Probably too nice an example for me though, as it will be parked outside.
10 grand would be my limit, I think, and I'd hope to get a low km example in very good condition, and in the colour/specs I like for that money.
There is another silver one on carsales for $8k, but it has 170,000kms. Looks presentable in the photos but I'm weary of the higher mileage. Is my concern justified?

Thanks again

V AR 164

Advice: Buy an Alfa with your heart, not your mind (except if you absolutely need the practicality of a wagon). If you are keen on a 147 GTA, save up and go for it. Just my two cents.
Also, remember it's an Alfa, don't think they are cheap to maintain....

Andrew.
Present:
-1992 164Q
-1993 Hilux Surf

Past:
-2006 159 2.4 Ti

pasey25

there is no comparison between a 2ltr 156 and a 147 GTA.
Current:
1969 Lancia Fulvia 1.3s Coupe
1967 Lancia Fulvia Berlina GT
2017 Abarth 595 Competizione
1991 Alfa SZ #440
1967 Fiat 850
1966 Fiat 850
1969 Giulia Super
1989 Alfa 75 Twin Spark

Past:
2005 147 GTA Monza Sele 59/100
2001 156 Monza Sele 2.0TS
2010 159 TI 2.4 SW

Craig_m67

Quote from: kiwirgv on June 11, 2015, 06:30:21 PM
Thanks for the reply.
As always, I'd like to spend as little as possible, but as always, my budget seems to go out the window by the time I find one that I really like...

I don't drive every day, It will be used for getting to/from work on the days that I drive, and for carting bicycles and sports gear, and the occasional road trip on the weekends.
I'd like to say I'd be doing laps of the nurburgring in it, but the reality is, it'll just be doing the A to B drives for the most part.
That said, I definitely do not want a boring econobox like every other car on the road, so thought the 156 wagon was a bit of me.

To that end, does the 2.0L JTS have sufficient "gusto" to make my A-B commuting a bit more exciting? is it powerful enough and is the chassis good enoug to have fun in the twisties?

Or should I spend the extra and get a 147 GTA? ::)

As far as budget goes, I see there is a red one that looks very nice on Carsales.com.au for $10k. Probably too nice an example for me though, as it will be parked outside.
10 grand would be my limit, I think, and I'd hope to get a low km example in very good condition, and in the colour/specs I like for that money.
There is another silver one on carsales for $8k, but it has 170,000kms. Looks presentable in the photos but I'm weary of the higher mileage. Is my concern justified?

Thanks again

Does it have sufficient gusto, yes
Is the chassis good enough, again yes. Indeed it's better than the heavier 159 and more nimble with the lighter engine than the V6 which by all accounts (in here) is quite heavy in the front end when pushing it.

You could get a nice one for half your budget, which would allow extra money for any preventative cambelt/waterpump/suspension bush replacement and new shocks/tyres and a good detail (with change).  Buy the manual.

There is also a well priced blue GTA147 on gumtree, I actually saw it on the road last week (Gabba). Sounded fine.

An Alfa (anything) bought with your heart will bankrupt you. Always do some due diligence around previous service history or the cost(s) to bring it up to spec.  There is nothing mechanically special in an Alfa, they all use Bosch electrics/sensors, ATE or Brembo brakes, standard kit from standard suppliers for most vehicles including Toyota. Just buy sensibly with your eyes open and don't let people rip you off for parts. They're not at all expensive to maintain when compared to other cars of the same vintage. Especially if your maintenance is preventative as opposed to reactive (when you will pay through the nose).

Beautiful and extremely useful cars.

'66 Duetto (lacework of doom)
'73 1600 GT Junior (ensconced)
'03 156 1.9JTD Sportwagon (daily driver)

kiwirgv

Thanks everyone for the tips.
Yes; I'd love a GTA, and I've seen that blue one on Gumtree. I even called the guy about it a few weeks back, but haven't got round to an inspection yet.
I suppose I'm conflicted: I realise they're in different leagues performance-wise, and I'd much prefer the 147 GTA, but i'd rather wait until I can get a low mileage one, in the colours I want, and with Q2 and all the maintenance etc up to date and documented. I would need to save more to get one like this, and wait until I have garaging at home etc first.

I need a car right now though, and a cheaper wagon would probably suit me better - added practicality, cheaper rego, cheaper insurance, cheaper servicing etc.
I just can't stand the rest of the boring cars on the road and thought the 156 was a good compromise.
I'll drive a couple and report back. Maybe my arm can be twisted.

pasey25

Drive a GTA as well. just so you know.

....then post back after you've bought the GTA  ;D ;D
Current:
1969 Lancia Fulvia 1.3s Coupe
2017 Abarth 595 Competizione
1991 Alfa SZ #440
1967 Fiat 850
1966 Fiat 850
1969 Giulia Super
1989 Alfa 75 Twin Spark

Past:
2005 147 GTA Monza Sele 59/100
2001 156 Monza Sele 2.0TS
2010 159 TI 2.4 SW

kiwirgv

Thanks Pasey - 'll let you know.

Interesting you have a Fulvia 1,3S - I have one too, at the moment doing daily-driver duties.
Where abouts are you based?

kiwirgv

Reviving an old thread here.
I test drove a couple of 147 GTAs - Awesome cars, very nice in person, and fantastic to drive. In an ideal world I'd buy one of them. But the only ones in my current price range were tatty. Too tatty for my liking on a car like that.

So, I have decided I will continue my hunt for a 156 JTS Wagon to fill the need I have for a cheapish practical car that has the benefit of being more exciting than a toyota camry.
The cost saving will go towards deferred maintenance on another car I have.

Do any of you know of anyone selling theirs? I have just placed a Wanted ad in the Buy/Swap/Sell category.

Thanks all for your inputs above - much appreciated 8)