JTS Oil Consumption

Started by dc_cudi, June 12, 2015, 10:40:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Alfa156Melb1

Quote from: Craig_m67 on June 30, 2015, 10:09:58 PM
Quote from: Craig_m67 on June 28, 2015, 11:38:09 AM
Does this model not have an oil level indicator on startup?
Or can't it be trusted?

Checking the oil every week would get annoying, no wonder so many get lunched :)

I don't disagree with anything anybody said, but then that wasn't my question...

I've had two 156's and I'm not aware of any electronic oil level indicators.. they suck anyway. I don't see the issue with just checking your oil..

Mind you, the JTS's use a silly amount and after owning one for 10 years it got a bit old having to check the oil before every long drive and every Sunday. Thankfully the GTA is all good on oil.

colcol

Its not the Camry's that are the problem, its just the leisurely way they are all being driven by the owners.
What did the grey army drive before Camry's???, the Toyota Corona and before that, Austin 1800's, [the land crab], Colin.
1974 VW Passat [ist car] 1984 Alfa 33TI [daily driver] 2002 Alfa 156 JTS [daily driver]

dc_cudi

Bit of a delayed reply.  From what I am aware my JTS does have an electronic indicator but its useless, only ever comes on when im pushing it around a corner.  At the moment i am using Penrite 25w-70 to try and lower oil consumption which has helped a bit.  The guy at autobarn was extremely surprised when i told him this, he said if it was him he would have gone with the 10w-60 and tried using some additives that are designed for older engines which burn oil etc, what are peoples thoughts on this? would this be a better option? Might just have to try it to see how it works.

Garibaldi

Quote from: colcol on July 07, 2015, 08:46:13 PM
Its not the Camry's that are the problem, its just the leisurely way they are all being driven by the owners.
What did the grey army drive before Camry's???, the Toyota Corona and before that, Austin 1800's, [the land crab], Colin.

Col, you are right, you can actually drive a Camry quite hard. I have frightened a few people, I don't think they could believe what they were seeing. Camrys don't have Alfa like handling but they are not bad for what they are. ;)

colcol

Hey CD, i am interested about your electronic indicator, i don't think mine has one, but i have been wrong before, you are not talking about a low oil pressure oil light indicator?, if you are pushing through corners and it comes on, your oil might be a bit low.
If the Penrite 25-70 w works ok, then stick with that, as long as the extra drag doesn't effect the fuel consumption too much, Colin.
1974 VW Passat [ist car] 1984 Alfa 33TI [daily driver] 2002 Alfa 156 JTS [daily driver]

Neil Choi

Interestingly, I walked into a Toyota show room yesterday, not by accident, I thought I was going to be struck by lightning or beaten up.

colcol

"Struck by lightning or beaten up", or even worse buy a Camry to replace the 156, the horror, Colin.

bazzbazz

dc_cudi, does your Variator make the Diesel clattering when you initially for more than 30 seconds?

Is there oil leaking around the Variator Solenoid?

I ask for good reason.

Baz
On The Spot Alfa
Mobile Alfa Romeo Diagnostic/Repair/Maintenance/Service
Brisbane/Gold Coast
onthespotalfa@iinet.net.au

dc_cudi

sorry for relayed reply but no oil leaks at all, had this verified by the mechanic.  If there were then i would surely notice oil leaking given how much im going through.

GabAlfa

Hi all, I'm going to throw this one in, apologies if you think its not applicable!
Hope someone can help or maybe I can help someone. I have be an Alfa driver pretty much all my life. I have recently acquired a 2004, 156 jts (74,000 kms) and discovered the following;
Down on power, burning oil, burning fuel excessively as proven by the spark plugs, black carbon build up in base, core and arch (not oily).
carried out compression test - 150 psi (dry) 250psi (wet). I think that is good compression, please let me know otherwise.
took cam cover off and hold and behold discovered Cam lobes worn - replaced them with 147 TS, had a spare set lying around...yes, they are the same, and they work !. just need to have a thread machined on the end of the exhaust cam shaft for the HP fuel pump spindle.
Also replaced the variator and variator half bearings (intake cam) and half bearing for exhaust cam, they were scored.
Also replaced all 16 valve lifters/tapets.
Re-assembled. Put fresh Castrol Edge 10-60 oil and bang ! Power is up, fuel consumption is better but still blowing out smoke, doesn't seem blue, more like black.
Oil consumption seem excessive to me (100 ml to 100km's) this is city driving, short trips. Noticed the temperature does not rise quickly, possible thermostat issue (open all the time). Can take about 20 minute to reach 70-80 degrees. 
Checked spark plugs and burning right to me, slight black grey on base but grey white in core and arches (NGK twin arch spark plug).
Also discovered that the Cat Converter core (honey comb material) has been damaged as I discovered bits in the muffler (assuming due to excessive fuel burning and heat from inadequate intake and exhaust aperture). Have not experienced the Motor control system failure alert and checked the codes with the ECU Multiscan and only error code is P0443 - Evaporative Control Valve which I replaced (had one lying around) and still get the error. This one beats me, not sure but I'm not too worried about it.
So... my mystery is where is the oil going ? If it was the valve stem seals leaking surely I would see oil build up on the spark plugs. Compression is good as I can see. Is it the Cat converter causing issues ? Anyone have any suggestions or silver bullet !!
Alfa forever !! "Your not a true petrol head until own an Alfa"

bazzbazz

Replied to this in your other post.
On The Spot Alfa
Mobile Alfa Romeo Diagnostic/Repair/Maintenance/Service
Brisbane/Gold Coast
onthespotalfa@iinet.net.au

alfagtv152

My 156 has done about 230K according to the ECU and I have sprinted it 4 rounds already this year without topping up the oil except for a drop recently as the cam cover has started leaking. I can't explain why but after I got it I cleaned out the inlet ports in the head,blocked off the little cam cover hose to the inlet manifold,and ran the cam cover breather down to a catch can mounted on the Gbox and then back up to the throttle body.Changed out the injectors,cats for low KM ones and made the exhaust straight through 2 1/4 inch with a big hot dog where the front resy was and an offset inlet/outlet straight through muffler at the back. I use Penrite full synthetic Racing 20 (20-60).
In summary I think the richer it runs the worse the oil consumption ( bore washing),which seems to be associated with other issues like the exhaust and cats and engine systems(manifold vacuum) etc that provide data to the ECU.
If you can get all the systems working as they should and use the right oil I think it makes a big difference,all that being said if your rings are shot nothing will save you!.
SEE YOUR BACKSIDE TRACKSIDE.White 156 TI JTS,Silly Speed.

Colin Edwards

Given Direct Injection engines generally consume more oil, is the JTS issue relevant only to the 4 cylinder engines or have we also seen issues with the 3.2 V6?

I understand the main cause of oil consumption in Direct Injection engines is incorrect oil specification.  If the oil is relatively volatile, the high temperature of the underside of the piston, typical of DI engines, will cause volatile oils to vaporize.  End result, thicker dirtier oil in the sump and less of it.  The vaporized volatiles from the oil travel from the crankcase, via the PCV to the upstream side of the inlet valves.  The volatiles then bake onto the inlet valves restricting airflow and reducing power.

IF the engine is in good order, using an oil with a low volatility rating (NOACK number) may reduce oil consumption.  The trick is to find an oil with a published NOACK rating.   

To control oil consumption by using a thicker more viscous oil that flows less easily when cold may be doing more damage than good.
Present
2023 Tonale Veloce
2018 Abarth 124 Spider
1987 75 3.0

Past
2020 Giulietta Veloce
2015 Giulietta QV
2009 159 3.2 Ti Q4
2012 Giulietta TCT Veloce
2006 147 Ti 2 door Selespeed
1979 Alfasud Ti 1.5

johnl

Colin, what you say about nasty gasses being drawn into the induction and fouling the inlet valves may well be true, seems plausible. It's my understanding (questionable) that a large part of the problem with gunked up inlet valves (with DI engines) is due to the back of the valve heads (i.e. stem side) not being exposed to a cleansing spray of fuel from upstream injectors (i.e. they don't exist). So, no detergent laden fuel both attacking deposits and also cooling the valves...

I vaguely recall having read somewhere or been told (but don't know for sure) that some manufacturers have resorted to installing secondary upstream injectors that are intended to 'wash' (and cool?) the inlet valves. I also (equally vaguely) recall reading that such injectors spray at a significantly lesser frequency and volume than the main injectors do. I could be vaguely wrong in my recall...

PS, apropos of an earlier post, the reason why passengers in rapidly driven Camrys become terrified is due to the dreadful understeer...

Regards,
John.

Colin Edwards

Hi John,
The Toyota 86 features Direct and Port Injection. 
Not even close to a Camry but out of the same stable!

I would be very suprised if more non-turbo engines did not adopt this arrangement.  More than 90% of the fuel injected directly and the remainder upstream of the inlet valves.  Petrol is a great solvent for keeping inlet valves clean. 

Direct injection allows very high compression ratios on low octane fuels.  Good power and low short term running costs until the valves clag up!   

Ceramic coated pistons keeping the base of the piston cool coupled with dual fuel injection could be the next big thing in IC engines.
Present
2023 Tonale Veloce
2018 Abarth 124 Spider
1987 75 3.0

Past
2020 Giulietta Veloce
2015 Giulietta QV
2009 159 3.2 Ti Q4
2012 Giulietta TCT Veloce
2006 147 Ti 2 door Selespeed
1979 Alfasud Ti 1.5