Cambelt replacement on 2004 156 TI manual

Started by alfa 156 TI, June 01, 2008, 11:24:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

alfa 156 TI

Quote from: Davidm1750 on June 22, 2008, 04:48:31 PM
Hi Brad yes I know what you mean when you walk over and spot your car.  The 156 does that too you, I get a grin out of it knowing that I too have something that just looks damn good for a new car.  There are not too many you can say that about.  Even my brother who is a die in the wool old car person reckons the 156 is spot on.   I do like the looks too of the 159 and the Brera, but apart from a few very expensive exotic cars (eg Aston DB9 etc) there is not much to get excited about, design wise.  And then you get in, start her up and take off, the grin just gets bigger !! Just got back from a decent drive in the country, so enjoyable. 

I too know what you mean about cup holders but hey that is what the cafe is for.  Why would you want to drink coffee on the go when you are in an Alfa.  Good to know the cost of service and changing the cam belt.  Something to look forward to,.......but might not say too much about it to the missus. Good advice from Victor re both the club and also checking re any warrenty cover.

Cheers Dave

Yes, I like the Brera, 159 and GT, great looking cars.

I can do without the cup holders and the wife is starting to be charmed by the alfa.
Took it for a spin up to Sydney from Canberra on the weekend, the drive is very engaging. I love the way when you put the foot down you get that pur out of the engine. It is so responsive.

Brad

Brad

alfa 156 TI

Quote from: John Hanslow on June 23, 2008, 07:21:36 AM
Interesting comments.

Two 'Alfa syle decisions' I was told by a very knowledgable motoring enthusist were:

1. You drive yoyur car to the cafe so why would you want a cup holder !

2. The 159 will never have a GTA model because they won't.

Regards.

John,
In response to no.1: Unless you were driving to the snow and you were in a hurry, but you still needed that coffee factor in the morning. Yes I know I shouldn't drive with coffee in my alfa, maybe I will change my ways or put it between my legs.

Brad

alfa 156 TI

Quote from: hammer on June 23, 2008, 04:26:26 PM
Brad,

I am in Bulimba in Brisbane. Very hip neighbourhood, befitting an Alfa, where cafe culture is an integral part of one's life and the only thing more important than a well-lit make-up mirror is cup holders. However, I grew up in the housing commission badlands of Woodridge and Kingston - where we drove rusty old, mostly stolen, holdens. I'd definitely be in danger if I drove through the old neighbourhood in one of my Alfas. Aah, I'm a traitor to my roots. The shame of it.

Brent

Bulimba, I know it well. Have friends in Bulimba, actually there not really friends as they drive a camry.
At least you escaped impoverishment and have moved on to the dizzy heights of inner Brisbane. I lived in the valley, New farm, teneriffe and carina heights once.
What color is your 156 TI? I would have liked a black or dark Grey, however wanted a TI and this seemed a good price at the time. Actually still does.

Cheers Brad

pep105

Guys dont worry about the lack of cup holders in the 156Ti, I drive a souless characterless japenese company car to work that sounds like a bamix. It has a plethora of cupholders so I should be drinking coffee while driving so I dont fall asleep! Told the guys at work id rather arrive in style in an Alfetta or a 1750 Berlina (they think Im retarded, at least I wont lose the car in the carpark unlike now!)..............and have the 105 for those special ocasions

P.S For some reason the 147 had two cupholders yet the 156 cupholder tally was jacko weird 
Current
'74 GT 1600 Junior  (Currently under restoration)
'84 Alfetta GCL Sedan
'02 Vespa ET4 150
'05 GT 3.2
Past
'82 Fiat 131 Superbrava Mk II
'82 Alfetta GTV 2.0
'88 75 Twinspark
'80 Alfetta Sedan
'02 147 Twinspark

alfa 156 TI

Quote from: pep105 on June 23, 2008, 10:06:52 PM
Guys dont worry about the lack of cup holders in the 156Ti, I drive a souless characterless japenese company car to work that sounds like a bamix. It has a plethora of cupholders so I should be drinking coffee while driving so I dont fall asleep! Told the guys at work id rather arrive in style in an Alfetta or a 1750 Berlina (they think Im retarded, at least I wont lose the car in the carpark unlike now!)..............and have the 105 for those special ocasions

P.S For some reason the 147 had two cupholders yet the 156 cupholder tally was jacko weird 

Possibly, after the 156 came out, some coffee drinking (while driving) alfa driver complained about lack of cup holder's. Obviously not a true Alfisti! So Alfa included several in the 147?

Brad

Davidm1600

Hey guys and especially Brad, I can vouch for what happens when there is a lack of a cup holder and the vehicle is in motion, irrespective of whether or not the cup was between your legs.  Think of the impact from burns on that part of the anatomy that the wife owns !!  Believe me, from experience it is highly uncomfortable.  The worst part was it was in a diesel landcruiser and I wasnt even driving !!!

From now on coffee is to be had while sitting down at the cafe, especially if the Alfa is parked out front where you can admire its form, and hopefully feel a little smug in knowing that at least you dont drive whitegoods on wheels.

Maybe also that explains why I am not so keen on the 147. 

Pep105 I like your style, as I have a real soft spot for the 1750 Berlina and also early Alfettas, pity your workmates let alone the bosses don't understand such concepts.  Still good to know that there is that 105 ready for that perfect weekend escape.  So sad about having a baymix to get to work in. I think I would rather take the bus !! or walk.......which thankfully I can.

Cheers
Dave

Current:
2003 JTS 156 sportwagon
1969 Giulia sedan (x2)
1969 AC Fiat 124 sport

Past: '76 Alfetta 1.8 GT 
        '76 Alfetta 1.8 Sedan
        ' 73 2L Berlina

alfa 156 TI

Quote from: Davidm1750 on June 24, 2008, 05:25:39 PM
Hey guys and especially Brad, I can vouch for what happens when there is a lack of a cup holder and the vehicle is in motion, irrespective of whether or not the cup was between your legs.  Think of the impact from burns on that part of the anatomy that the wife owns !!  Believe me, from experience it is highly uncomfortable.  The worst part was it was in a diesel landcruiser and I wasnt even driving !!!

From now on coffee is to be had while sitting down at the cafe, especially if the Alfa is parked out front where you can admire its form, and hopefully feel a little smug in knowing that at least you dont drive whitegoods on wheels.

Maybe also that explains why I am not so keen on the 147. 

Pep105 I like your style, as I have a real soft spot for the 1750 Berlina and also early Alfettas, pity your workmates let alone the bosses don't understand such concepts.  Still good to know that there is that 105 ready for that perfect weekend escape.  So sad about having a baymix to get to work in. I think I would rather take the bus !! or walk.......which thankfully I can.

Cheers
Dave

Dave,
I hope you weren't scarred for life with your little accident?

On my way back from Sydney to Canberra, we stopped at Suttons Forrest upmarket 'Mc Cafe' and parked the beast out the front for all those fellow travellers to digest thier big Mac's while drooling over the cavaceous curves of the 156 TI. Reminds me a bit of that 'colorbond' roofing add.

By the way dave and everyone else, I did drink my coffee inside, until I got itchy feet and then finished it off on the road. Yes I was bad but I didn't burn my bits.

In relation too whether people should understand the concepts behind owning an Alfa, I believe that maybe its better if they don't. Maybe that's part of the reason why I own an Alfa, its original and most people are critical of the make although in secret they know they want it. Then again there are those who are interested at work. Those bored with driving a Toyota corrolla or camry.

Brad

Davidm1600

No thankfully I managed to survive that escapade with all the bits intact but it was scary !!  Sounds like you had a great drive back from Canberra.  My first drive in my 156 was from Sydney to Hobart (a road trip) via the coast over 10 days.  I know what you mean for I too had the chance to sit back and allow all those Corolla and Camry owners to admire a masterpiece in metal while tasting a little vino at a couple of vineyards we came across on the way down from Sydney.

Yes I think you are correct, it is good to know that those of us who appreciate Italian style etc are the real enthusiasts.  None of my old mates have ever understood this fascination.  Thankfully I have over the years made friends with like minded people who also appreciate actually driving and the pleasure that comes from having a drivers car.  The majority of people I work with have no idea what an Alfa is like and some even expressing a complete hatred of such cars. Mind you this comes from a Jap scrap owner with a taste for oldens and frauds.

Dave

Current:
2003 JTS 156 sportwagon
1969 Giulia sedan (x2)
1969 AC Fiat 124 sport

'76 Alfetta 1.8 Sedan
        ' 73 2L Berlina

pep105

yeah Brad couple of detail differences between the 147 and 156 pros and cons with both. The 147 was jam packed with kit on its release in 2001 so the 156 facelifts followed suit (ASC,VSC,upgraded stereo, multi function wheel etc) sans cupholders !!!!! maybe the whining 156 driving non Alfisti folk was the reason for the 147 cupholders.

Dave - There are a handful of enthusiats at work who appreciate fine machinery but not many, one of them who I dont see very often has a beautiful series 2 1750 GTV, although we are the only Alfa owners I beleive.
Think Ill take the company provided blando box to work than catch the bus (I have my limits) although riding the Vespa or the 105 to work breaks the manotomy   
Current
'74 GT 1600 Junior  (Currently under restoration)
'84 Alfetta GCL Sedan
'02 Vespa ET4 150
'05 GT 3.2
Past
'82 Fiat 131 Superbrava Mk II
'82 Alfetta GTV 2.0
'88 75 Twinspark
'80 Alfetta Sedan
'02 147 Twinspark

alfa 156 TI

Dave,
Sounds like it was a great trip. I could see the 156 parked at a winery. Its like it was built for such an occasion.
A guy at work just bought the new XR-5 Mondeo and the interior is well finished, its got all the modern gadgets, like voice activated stereo etc, but its an ugly car. And it has that northern European sterile feel to the interior.

Pep,
thanks for the feedback, do you know if the 159 has cupholders? You would think it would seeing as the world has gone cup holder crazy. Maybe its a bit like yo yo's and they will go out of fashion and be recognised for the eyesore that they are. Handy but eyesore.

hammer

Brad,

Sorry to take an eternity to reply. My 156 is a dark metallic blue. i can't remember the exact colour. I bought it from a dealer, although it had been sold to the dealer by a fellow club member (which I found out just after the purchase). He had lowered it a little on firm Eibach springs, so it looks hot but rides a bit harsh around town. On a good bit of road though the springs really improve the handling.

I'll appreciate the 156 even more when I get in it in an hour or so, as I just finished wrestling my race car onto the trailer, behind the old landcruiser ute. I have a steep driveway, off a busy street, a low trailer and a ute that is slipping a little in reverse. It was quite the operation.

Anyway enjoy chilly Canberra.

Brent

alfa 156 TI

Brent,
What sort of race car have you got?

QuoteAnyway enjoy chilly Canberra.

Canberra isn't cold, its 24C in my house. And anyway, the ski compartment in the 156 comes in very handy.

Cheers Brad

Davidm1600

Brad et al

It is bloody freezing here in Hobart.  Winter with avengance.  Snow on the mountain, rain, wind etc and dark skies in the city.  Yeeha, bring it on, thankgod for the ski compartment in the sportwagon.  Shall be heading to the mountains as soon as possible, read sufficient snow for some ski action (Ben Lomand).  Yep we do actually have a couple of ski areas in Tas.

I know what you mean re the Mondeo etc, they seem to be trying hard to be like a euro car but dont actually make it.

Brent, apart from the Eibach springs and lowered height did they make any other changes to the suspension ?  I guess the soft ride of my 156 came at a bit of a surprise to me.  I wouldnt mind it being a little more firm (like  my wifes BMW 318is) but not as firm as my old 1750GTV.   

Dave
Current:
2003 JTS 156 sportwagon
1969 Giulia sedan (x2)
1969 AC Fiat 124 sport

'76 Alfetta 1.8 Sedan
        ' 73 2L Berlina

alfa 156 TI

Dave,
Had a look at Ben Lomand on the web, maybe they should update their website. Yeah, heard Tassie was getting some fierce winds and snow.
Me and the immediate family go at least twice a year. Drive down and back to Perisher all in one day (Its about 2.5 hours to the ski tube from here). Haven't tested the 156 out around the snow fields yet but looking forward too it as the drive down and back is very nice. Especially on the way back with the sun setting in the west behind the snowy mountains and namadgi range.

Cheers

Brad

Davidm1600

Brad

Sounds like a nice trip indeed.  Will be interested to see how your car goes up in the Alps.  I havn't been to Perisher yet, one day I will.  I will be certainly taking mine up to Ben once there is sufficient snow. Need to get some chains for it though. 

Yes, I know what you mean re the Ben Lomand web site.  Absolutely hopeless. Not sure when they will get it up and going.  I can only presume there is not enough snow to make it worth while.  I go past the ski shop in the city on the way to work and check out their reports, so far nothing.  Am looking forward to a week in Wanaka (NZ) at the end of August, as I need to try out my new Skis, that I bought at the end of last season. 

Dave
Current:
2003 JTS 156 sportwagon
1969 Giulia sedan (x2)
1969 AC Fiat 124 sport

'76 Alfetta 1.8 Sedan
        ' 73 2L Berlina