Alfa GT Lighter Socket....

Started by Beatle, March 27, 2015, 09:52:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Beatle

I've tried five different design USB charger plugs in the ciggie socket of my GT, and none will take hold?????    Are Alfa ciggie lighters a different design/shape to the rest of the motoring world?   

These adapters all click firmly into place in my other vehicles, and stay put.  In the GT they either won't stick at all, or pop out within minutes.

I've tried teasing out the tangs inside the socket to no avail.

Ideas?  Solutions?

Thinking I may resort to installing an aftermarket socket hidden under the dash somewhere. 
Paul B
QLD

Past:
'79 GTV - Loyal 1st love
'76 GT - Track entry
'89 75TS - Saved
'76 Alfetta - Sacrificed
'83 GTV6 - NT bullet
'67 Duetto - Fun
'66 Super - Endearing
'92 164 - Stunning
'85 90 - Odd
'04 GT 3.2 Rosso/Tan - Glorious
'02 156 V6 Auto Rosso/Tan - Useful daily

shiny_car

The GT has the 'slightly bigger' diameter socket, Euro style.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cigarette_lighter_receptacle (size B)

If your plug is 'just a plug' (as opposed to a power adapter with internal electronics), you can cut it off and replace with the bigger plug that will fit snugly.

But you're probably best adding your own socket that matches the USB unit.

:)
Giulietta QV TCT . 1.75 TBi . Magnesio Grey - Black
GT . 3.2 V6 . Q2 . Kyalami Black - Red
75 . 3.0 V6 . Alfa Red - Grey

colcol

There is a new type of 12 volt female plug called 'Merit'.
It is not called a cigarette lighter plug, because it won't take cigarette lighters as they are too big, but will take MP3 players, GPS's and phone chargers, and unlike cigarette lighters, the plug is a snug fit for the male plug in the merit plug and doesn't fall out on bumps, Colin.
1974 VW Passat [ist car] 1984 Alfa 33TI [daily driver] 2002 Alfa 156 JTS [daily driver]

Kulwinder

I have installed dual socket adaptor in my 156. I took connection from cigarette socket fuse in fuse box. A wired connection. I am able to use original socket and have two more sockets under steering wheel in little pocket thing on fuse box cover.

Kulwinder Singh

colcol

I installed a twin socket outlet in the centre console to run a MP3 player and GPS, the original cigarette lighter was to far away, and the sockets wouldn't stay in, all good now, Colin.
1974 VW Passat [ist car] 1984 Alfa 33TI [daily driver] 2002 Alfa 156 JTS [daily driver]