MIto Wheel Nuts Rusting-Corroding

Started by Dougg, February 18, 2015, 02:40:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dougg

Hi All,

I have a 2009 Mito and the wheel nuts have started to rust/corrode?  Has anyone else had this issue? I called Alfa and they said its up to the original dealer to decide if they will do anything about it as Alfa won't as the car is out of the warranty period!   :(

colcol

Hey Dougg, its only surface rust, where the chrome and or plating has been knocked off due to wrenching, apart from appearance, its nothing to worry about.
You could always get them rechromed, plated or black oxide, but you put a lot of pressure on them when you tighten up the wheel bolt or its done by an rattlegun.
Have a look on Ebay and see if there are replacement wheel bolts, Colin.
1974 VW Passat [ist car] 1984 Alfa 33TI [daily driver] 2002 Alfa 156 JTS [daily driver]

Neil Choi

Pretty gutsy to go and complain about rusty nuts.

Neil Choi

colcol

The rusty nuts are most likely through lack of use, you may need to oil them now and then, Colin.
1974 VW Passat [ist car] 1984 Alfa 33TI [daily driver] 2002 Alfa 156 JTS [daily driver]

Neil Choi

Mmmm, yes I don't use them much but I give them a scratch now and then.  Would that get rid of the rust?

And yes, wheel bolts on modern Alfa's ie 156, 147, 159, Mito, Giulietta etc.

giulia_veloce

The rust CAN be caused by using mag wheel cleaner to clean the wheels.
On many occasions,,I have found it difficult yo remove alloy wheels,even after the nuts are removed.
When the wheel is removed,there is a lot of corrosion where the wheel mounts on the hub.
Has to be cleaned and treated.

So maybe the cause is mag wheel cleaner ?????????

colcol

Try and stay away from Mag wheel cleaner, they are quite harsh on your wheels and not that good for your health.
Try cleaning the wheels a bit more often and maybe give the wheels a bit of a polish to repel the brake dust, Colin.

Garibaldi

Quote from: colcol on February 18, 2015, 10:16:15 PM
The rusty nuts are most likely through lack of use, you may need to oil them now and then, Colin.

Most nuts do tend to do this but how much use is too much. Col, please explain. :o

colcol

I won't explain this anymore, as it is turning into an episode of 'On the Buses' or 'The Benny Hill Show', Colin.

Garibaldi

Col, I really liked both of those shows so maybe we can discuss it on the drive this weekend. ;D

obersturm

Quote from: giulia_veloce on February 19, 2015, 06:58:19 AM
The rust CAN be caused by using mag wheel cleaner to clean the wheels.
On many occasions,,I have found it difficult yo remove alloy wheels,even after the nuts are removed.
When the wheel is removed,there is a lot of corrosion where the wheel mounts on the hub.
Has to be cleaned and treated.

So maybe the cause is mag wheel cleaner ?????????

Hi all,

a thin film of copper paste can avoid having the nuts bind on the studs and the mag wheel sticking to the brake disc....

http://

Gotta love Benny Hill.....

Thanks and best regards

Obersturm