Rookie and First Alfa Romeo 159

Started by Capique, February 21, 2015, 06:44:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Capique

Holla all experts ,

Im from Malaysia. I just bought my first little italia 159 2.2jts.
Please give me some good guidance coz i know this ALFA brand is a rare
to see on the road rather than typical "German Torque".

Since this is my first Italia ride, i look forward to play this toy by helping
with all the "Italia Expert" here. Please share any info or knowledge with me.

Thank you.

FORZA ALFA!

colcol

Welcome Capique to the Forum, the 159 is certainly a stunning looking car, even after 10 years, one of Guigaro's finest.
The 2.2 JTS is not too bad on fuel, nowhere as heavy on fuel as the V-6, and it handles a bit better due to less weight in the nose.
What transmission do you have, manual or selespeed, selespeeds are a usual controversial subject, you hate them or like them.
The 2.2 as you know is a GM motor that was used in Vauxhalls, Opels, Saabs and some GM products in America.
It sometimes will stretch the timing chain, which will cause the valve timing to go out, causing errors in the timing and the motor control light will illuminate.
You will have to get the chain replaced if this happens.
Not like the good 156, 4 cylinders that have to have the timing belts changed every 3 years.
A few pictures of your car please, best regards, Colin.
1974 VW Passat [ist car] 1984 Alfa 33TI [daily driver] 2002 Alfa 156 JTS [daily driver]

obersturm

Hi Col,

I thought the oiler for the timing chain is the primary cause for everything else to fail?

If the old style oiler with its tiny little hole is still installed a little particle in the oil can block it and let the chain run almost un-lubricated, stretch, bang around and brake the plastic guides and if picked up to late do what it did to a car I bought cheap on Ebay....
So not to scare anyone but always a good idea to check or get the latest version timing chain kit incl. cogs, tensioner and the all importan oiler 8)

Thanks and best regards

Obersturm

colcol

And doesn't that show you the importance of changing your oil and oil filter on time.
If the oil filter becomes full and blocked, rather than starve the engine of oil, the dirty unfiltered oil will bypass the filter and block up oil galleries as mentioned.
Important to change the oil more often in a Direct Injected motor, such as a JTS, due to oil dilution with the high pressure injectors, Colin.
1974 VW Passat [ist car] 1984 Alfa 33TI [daily driver] 2002 Alfa 156 JTS [daily driver]

Capique

Quote from: colcol on February 21, 2015, 09:34:05 PM
Welcome Capique to the Forum, the 159 is certainly a stunning looking car, even after 10 years, one of Guigaro's finest.
The 2.2 JTS is not too bad on fuel, nowhere as heavy on fuel as the V-6, and it handles a bit better due to less weight in the nose.
What transmission do you have, manual or selespeed, selespeeds are a usual controversial subject, you hate them or like them.
The 2.2 as you know is a GM motor that was used in Vauxhalls, Opels, Saabs and some GM products in America.
It sometimes will stretch the timing chain, which will cause the valve timing to go out, causing errors in the timing and the motor control light will illuminate.
You will have to get the chain replaced if this happens.
Not like the good 156, 4 cylinders that have to have the timing belts changed every 3 years.
A few pictures of your car please, best regards, Colin.

Thank you for the little explanation...mine is Selespeed and for me i enjoyed driving the transmission. Just wanna know where can i get to buy any Alfa accessories and parts online in Australia market?