Better sound from my 159 Ti

Started by Dr Ben, August 26, 2014, 09:42:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dr Ben

Hey guys,

I need help getter a better sound from my new alfa 159 Ti.
It's a beautiful looking car, but sounds average.
Any suggestions on exhaust mods to improve sound would be awesome.

Cheers Ben

kaleuclint

Which engine, Ben?  I assume it's out of warranty.

If it's the turbobenzina just push the throttle harder; sound will change!!
2011 159ti 1750TBi

Dr Ben

It's a 159 Ti 2.2 4cdr (no turbo).

All good except for the fact it sounds like a Camry.

Help!

Cool Jesus

There must be something up with the exhaust. Although relatively muffled for ADR compliance, our 159 came to life in the upper rev range. As clarkeson put it, it sounded like a metalic werewolf  8)
Could have recommended a muffler man here in Sydney, don't know about Victoria. But there's nice sounding cat back systems available. Just depends on your taste. I keep my mufflers mild to preserve its italian heritage, don't go putting rice burner cannons on it (but that's just me I guess). My muffler man makes his own piping and installs locally made free flowing mufflers. Just as good, minus the brand name price tag.
Present:
* '76 Alfetta GTAm 2.0 (project)
* '03 147 2.0 TS
*'12 159 Ti 1750 TBi
===================
Past:
* '10 159 2.2 JTS
* '89 164 3.0
* '98 Spider 2.0 TS

Dr Ben

Thanks cool Jesus.
Like your thinking. Your right I don't want big noise. More something like a golf GTI burble and pop.
I'll speak to local muffler guy.

Cool Jesus

Shop around and sound out (excuse the pun) a few of them out. Maybe even see what the main Alfa workshops can recommend. If you find an installer with some racing background that would be the one to pick. Just check the shop for photos, trophies etc they like to show that stuff off. Then give them the brief of what your looking for in sound. Not sure what the cost would be as I get a family discount with my exhausts. But if they make their own pipe and source local boxes it shouldn't be too offensive for the hip pocket.
Present:
* '76 Alfetta GTAm 2.0 (project)
* '03 147 2.0 TS
*'12 159 Ti 1750 TBi
===================
Past:
* '10 159 2.2 JTS
* '89 164 3.0
* '98 Spider 2.0 TS

Dr Ben

Gtv6

There are plenty of options around. Try posting this question of ausalfa.com.