New to Alfa

Started by Harley, June 12, 2014, 08:41:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

colcol

Hello Harley,
Lack of reply on my behalf on the variator is because i have no knowledge of the variator on the manifold, i have never had to fix one, so i no nothing about it, so i will keep quite on the matter.
On the other hand the cam locks in the picture seem quite good, i have seen some shockers on ebay with roll pins and other dodgy engineering to lock the cams in, being in China, it will be cheaper on freight and delivery time will be shorter.
The bush replacement looks good as well, i remember seeing the 'dogbone' on ebay and it wasn't too much dosh, but your method worked a treat, you can get bush replacment tools on ebay for a cheap price, it makes you wonder how they do it for the price, Colin.
1974 VW Passat [ist car] 1984 Alfa 33TI [daily driver] 2002 Alfa 156 JTS [daily driver]

Harley

Well I got the car registered without to much fuss.
Decided to sex it up a bit with new door cards and cleaning up the handles and control units.
Leather interiors for these cars are so cheap!

I got the door cards posted from Rocco in Blacktown, he's a champ.
I removed the handles and soaked them in bleach and hot water, then 4 coats of Plastidip.
I also disassembled the control switches and gave them a soak, the bare plastic is best here.

Apart from the switch exploding when it came apart, luckily I found all the little plastic pieces, it was all very straight forward.

Harley

Harley

Got tired of the usb cigarette charger poping out so did an easy swap using original wiring with some shrink wrap for good measure.

Harley

Harley

The engine tapping has quietened down ;D.
As mentioned the variator solenoid was not plugged in, which caused oil gunk to settle inside it. I removed the solenoid and placed it across battery terminals, it took a few times to fire but then it cleared the old oil out the drain hole, a bit of a spray with some WD40 to help it along.
Now the engine noise has stopped. I have already purchased a Variator repair kit and will fit it with a cam belt kit when my cam locks arrive.

Harley

Harley

Fitted new timing belt kit.
Judging by the previous paint marks on the crank, the cams where oit by 2.5 teeth with my cam locks on... is that possible without any internal contact?
Motor is running sweeter now.
I also reno'd the Variator with a kit, although it did seem nice and tight when I opened it up.

Harley

colcol

Considering the amount of damage you could cause and how relatively cheap the cam locks are, why wouldn't you use them?, sometimes the white paint method is a bit dodgy, because the belts are a bit worn, they don't quite line up, with cams locks, there is no doubt at all, Colin.
1974 VW Passat [ist car] 1984 Alfa 33TI [daily driver] 2002 Alfa 156 JTS [daily driver]