Leaking FUEL TANK

Started by kartone, May 21, 2014, 06:27:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Neil Choi

With regards to the possible and necessary metal repairs to the tank, if not doing it yourself, any radiator place will be able to fix it at little cost.  I had one repaired for a similar crack, $30, done which included a coat of paint.

I used one in Bayswater, great bloke, Mario.

VeeSix

Check your breather/pressure system is 100% operating, no blockages, no faults and get a new tank, your tank repairs will eventually just start leaking again, get rid of the problem or just keep repeating the fix  :o
1985 Alfa Romeo GTV6 V6 2.5 12V 
1986 Alfa Romeo 90 V6 2.5 12V
1990 Alfa Romeo 75 V6 3.0 12V Potenziata
1990 Alfa Romeo 164 V6 3.0 12V Zender
1991 Alfa Romeo 164 V6 3.0 12V QV
1992 Alfa Romeo 164 V6 3.0 12V QV

colcol

Wish the had redcote back in the day with all my fuel tank dramas in the Volksy, i used to throw some metho in the tank every now and then, so that any water sitting in the tank rusting it, would mix with the metho and get burnt off.
Then discovered a plastic tank and put it in and never had any more problems, Colin.
1974 VW Passat [ist car] 1984 Alfa 33TI [daily driver] 2002 Alfa 156 JTS [daily driver]

kartone

VeeSix, a new tank isn't easy to find. I checked in the US and UK, no go.
82 GTV6 split-dash
80 Alfetta GTV

MD

Kartone,

To chime in..

You have had some pretty straight forward advice on how to carry out the repair including safety cautions. All well and good. Nowhere have I picked up that you are a purist and want to retain the original tank. If that is the case, carry on.

Failing that, I am with VeeSix. Get a new tank but it doesn't have to be an original tank. It could be a hand made aluminium tank made locally to your requirements. It could be better baffled and reduce surge more so than the original one.

Just another approach..
Transaxle Alfas Haul More Arse.

Current Fleet
Alfetta GTV6 3.0
Alfetta GTV Twin Spark supercharged racer
75 1.8L supercharged racer

Past Fleet
Alfa GT 3.2V6
Alfetta GTV 2.0
Giulia Super 2.0
Berlina 2.0

kartone

MD the 34 year old car all original (including the radio/cassette player and factory ride height ;D).
The intention is to keep the original tank as it has absolutely no rust inside or out.
Fixing the symptoms (hairline crack/leak) is no problem, however rectifying the diagnosis (stopping the flexing/vibrations of the bottom of the fuel tank) without altering the appearance of the tank is not as easy.   
82 GTV6 split-dash
80 Alfetta GTV

MD

No problem.
Got a sneaky solution for ya.
Cut the original tank in half at the seam.
Discard the top part and keep the bottom part.
Make a complete aluminium tank to fit inside the bottom remaining shell.
Use the shell as a mock up cover and hide the ally tank.

Who would know the difference??  ;D ;D
Transaxle Alfas Haul More Arse.

Current Fleet
Alfetta GTV6 3.0
Alfetta GTV Twin Spark supercharged racer
75 1.8L supercharged racer

Past Fleet
Alfa GT 3.2V6
Alfetta GTV 2.0
Giulia Super 2.0
Berlina 2.0

VeeSix

Sorry, when I said a new tank, I did not mean it had to be brand new, although that would be nice, there are heaps of second hand tanks out there, get one that is still good on the inside and has not been repaired  ;)
1985 Alfa Romeo GTV6 V6 2.5 12V 
1986 Alfa Romeo 90 V6 2.5 12V
1990 Alfa Romeo 75 V6 3.0 12V Potenziata
1990 Alfa Romeo 164 V6 3.0 12V Zender
1991 Alfa Romeo 164 V6 3.0 12V QV
1992 Alfa Romeo 164 V6 3.0 12V QV

kartone

Red-Kote indicated a second coat can be applied within one month of the original coat, a year plus has gone by in my case :(.
Has anyone split the tank at the seam? There are no spot-welds, just a continuous rolling mark around the perimeter, is the joint glued or brazed? HELP :o 
82 GTV6 split-dash
80 Alfetta GTV

colcol

A fuel tank or radiator in my experience is usually soldered, as it is low temperature and strong, brazing is high temperature and a bit stronger, usually for brackets and things that are thicker and requiring a lot of strength, soldering can be done with a friggen big soldering iron that won't distort the metal, i have actually been to a radiator/heater/fuel tank repair shop where they fix them, not many radiator repair shops left, as they just replace with new now, Colin.
1974 VW Passat [ist car] 1984 Alfa 33TI [daily driver] 2002 Alfa 156 JTS [daily driver]

bteoh

I bought a new one from Greece. Check out Benavellis in Greece.
Otherwise Chris from Highwood Alfa in the UK might be able to source a good refurbished one.

kartone

Has anyone split an Alfetta fuel tank ?
82 GTV6 split-dash
80 Alfetta GTV

Jekyll and Hyde

I think you'll find that 'rolling line' is actually a resistance weld... In other words a continuous spot weld.

kartone

82 GTV6 split-dash
80 Alfetta GTV

brook308

Quote from: kartone on May 29, 2014, 07:03:00 PM
Yep, seam weld

Where are u located?
I've just had a look a spare tank I have in a wreck and it looks good.
If your keen PM me and I'll take a closer look in the morning?