2000 GT Veloce Repairs.

Started by Balfa, April 07, 2014, 12:26:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Balfa

While I remember, another thing I wish I did was something I saw on Pancho's rebuild thread. He reinforced the door handle openings on the inside of the skin.
On my drivers door, I've noticed small cracks in the paint appearing from the pressure of opening the door.
At this stage, I'm learning to get comfortable with small imperfections in the paint and scratches and not get tempted repainting the whole damn car again...again.
The cost of repainting the car is expensive and I have to realise that the paint won't remain perfect forever especially being a dailyish drive.

My brow is starting to sweat just thinking about the time and effort put into this car:P Posting these pics was meant to be cathartic :P

Electric fan...this has since been replaced with a better one and another radiator.

Many hands makes light work?

Balfa

Boot lips turned out well.

I'm surprised at how well the new rear light units fitted the rebuilt boot.

Balfa

Due to the slow process and my need to see progress...I started watching car restoration shows like fast n loud, car SOS and overhaulin to get my fix.

Didn't help...just made me anxious. And these shows are unrealistic, they show restorations being done in like 1 to 3 weeks. If only...

Stripes go all the way..

Before driving the car to Canberra for the performance rebuild.

Balfa

Even untuned I loved having the old girl back on the road.

Made it to Canberra and none too soon. The gear box started making noises and was eating itself. This had to be rebuilt.

Some progress pics of the engine rebuild.

I can post a list of parts and things done to the engine a mile long if anyone is interested. But I might post a video from the dynotune which shows how well the engine is running now.

Balfa

New weber DCOE 45's

I'm ever amazed at how much Luke Clayton knows. A encyclopedia of knowledge on alfa's and cars in general.

He also puts up with the stupid questions I ask without laughing...too much ;)

Balfa

Luke showing me some of the ordinary repairs done when I paid around 13k (a lot of money back then) for a rebuild back in Perth.

Don't ask me what he was showing me here.

Wet liner cylinders.

Balfa

This is the sort of thing I occupy myself with these days. Pulling back off parts that I didn't have the patience to clean up before.

Balfa

Yes that is the partners hair dryer I snuck out of the house while she was asleep so I could speed up the paint drying process.

Some pictures I took just before the dynotune. Also the thing about the dynotune, even though I was happy with the results - I'm no tuning expert but I suspect I could pull a few more hp out of the engine. The dynotune guys didn't have a lot of parts for webers in stock and I suspect with some more adjustments with the jetting etc might elicit more hp.

You might also notice I've got the tinting done. The guys had massive trouble doing the rear window. I spent around 9 hrs with them most of it was them tinting the rear window multiple times. The curvature of the glass made it difficult for them to do it without spears appearing. They didn't get it perfect in the end but credit to them they tried for hours and said that if  I was unhappy with it I could come back they would redo it.

I never thought the old girl could rev that high or scream as loud as it was on the dyno.

Balfa

Okay, here is another question. Most of the gains I got through the tune were when we removed the ramair foam air filters from the trumpets.
They had too much oil in them blocking the airflow.
This meant a gain of around 50hp :P
I've since cleaned the filters and applied penrite foam air filter oil. It runs okay but now i'm paranoid about losing a few hp with having too much oil and then worried about not having enough and letting in dirt into the engine :P

Any recommendations on oil or high performance trumpet socks?

Anyway, a couple of friends and I spent a day installing modest sound system. Please do not laugh at the carpet or the wiring sticking out under the dash :P

Yes, we made that parcel shelf and covered it vinyl. And yes I haven't reupholstered the back seat :D

Balfa

The amp unit we've mounted discreetly under the parcel shelf.

I didn't go with a sub due to the weight issue.

Now some pics of the new boot lid from a few weeks ago. I've since had it on the car to adjust it. Had to made some adjustments to it but all in all it fits well.

Balfa

The funny thing about having a decent sound system. My friends laugh that there is no point as my engine is that loud that I can't hear it anyway. There isn't a lot I can do about the engine noise, I have sound proofed my car nearly as much as I can - I just have a loud engine :D

The noisey engine just adds to the joy of driving the car...it's such a 'raw' driving experience that you don't get with modern cars.

Before I hit the sack, I might just add another observation. With moderate power (gains) comes great fuel consumption. I used to be able to drive from Canberra to Sydney on half a tank. Now I am lucky to make it in a single tank :P

Balfa

If anyone can answer some of the questions I've got littered through out my posts that would be great.

Also any suggestions on wheels and tyres that would be appreciated. I'm happy with the wheels and tyres but if I manage to win lotto, I've been looking at the superlights or the lightweight wheels from alfaholics (some of their wheels weight around 5-7kg's from memory).

My next lot of tyres...I've seen many 105 owners put on yokohama's or bridgestone potenza's. My main usage is obviously road but I wouldn't rule out the odd track use. Wet weather grip is important to me.

Lastly, has anyone had experience with the black/RHD/Standing pedal carpet kits from classic alfa and alfaholics? A friend said they are most likely the same and come from the same manufacturer?
http://classicalfa.com/products/IN056-GT%7B47%7DGTV-CARPET-SET-%252d-RIGHT-HAND-DRIVE.html
http://www.alfaholics.com/browse-parts-by-car/105-series/interior-trim/coupe/gt-carpet-set-1300-1600-1750-and-2000-lhd-or-r/

Balfa

So this happened this morning as I was driving the old girl on the way to work on the boot lid.

I'm driving along the road and an elderly lady decides to reverse out of a drive way into the side of my car.

Could have been worse...but seriously? Why now? Why me? F#!@k

And as usual, the car driven by the party in error takes minor damage.

Besides the dent repairs that I don't need, this means a sand down of the entire front third of the car. I don't want the clear to make lines anywhere there shouldn't be.
Fortunately this time it will be someone else (insurance) paying for it.