Introduction

Started by DamoNewland, April 02, 2014, 10:08:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DamoNewland

Hi guys,

I'm Damien, just bought a 2004 2.0 JTS GT in black with Red leather, it's my first ever Alfa and I don't think I've stopped smiling since I picked it up on Saturday. Couple of things to do with it, the diesel sounding engine and variants (I think) seem to be a job that may need doing, so I'll be contacting the recommended garage in Clayton (name escapes me) but looking forward to many years smiling ahead

John Hanslow

Welcome to Alfa ownership.

Mauceri Motors in Clayton are will known to club members and are very good with repairs, advice and any necessary improvements.

One problem with JTS motors is that the cams wear due to incorrect oil that should include zinc found in Pentite and similar quality oils.

We will be holding a Garage Visit there on Friday 9th May so check out the home page for an informative evening.
Now:
2011 Giulietta QV

Previously:
1989 164 3.0  V6
2002 156 Twin Spark Sports Edition
2002 147 Twin Spark
2002 916 Spider Twin Spark
1990 Alfa 75 Potenziata

krysRAW = AROCA-Vic PR =

Hey Damien

And welcome to Alfa Romeo Ownership(obsession)  :o

Nice buy man. I would be checking up on when the last timing belt and water pump change was done. If you want to be safe and you have the cash, I would just get it done. I got mine both done at Zagame Richmond for about $1400 but Alfamen in Footscray will do it for under $1000, so I would say give them a call when you get a chance.

Regarding oil, I would suggest Castrol Edge 10w-60 which contains zinc vital in protecting our JTS engines.

If you're free on Sunday, a few of us will have our Alfas on display at Autobella at Como Park in South Yarra.

http://www.alfaclubvic.org.au/forum/index.php?topic=12161.0

I'll have my 2004 156 2.0L JTS on display  ;)
2004 156 JTS 2.0 5-Spd Manual

MODS:
Tint
Stance SC7 19x8.5 Rims
Custom Sport Exhaust
Custom 90mm Cold Air Intake
SAAS Pod Filter
Wheel guards Rolled & Pumped
BC Adjustable BR(RS) coilovers
Front Tower Strut Brace
3" intake pipe

colcol

Diesel sound is the camshaft variator on the way out, when you get it changed, you have to pull the cambelt off, so if the cambelt is off, put a new one on and if the water pump hasn't been changed, do it now with everything pulled off, and there is only 4 bolts to take out.
If the tensioners are worn or noisy then put in new ones, also change the balance shaft belt as well, because if it skips a tooth and breaks and comes off, then it will tangle with the cam belt belt and it will break or come off and you will have a ruined engine.
The oil for the JTS is 10 - 60 fully synthetic racing oil, the brand being of your choice, the oil gets contaminated with water and acid, from driving it around the city and it not getting hot enough and burning off all the rubbish and this shows up as the high wear area of the camshafts being lubricated with petrol solvents, change the oil more often and or take it for a run on the freeway, Colin.
1974 VW Passat [ist car] 1984 Alfa 33TI [daily driver] 2002 Alfa 156 JTS [daily driver]

DamoNewland

Thanks guys, all sounds nice and expensive hey, I know the cam belt was changed 5,000km's ago, just need to establish if they did everything else while it was there..... Much appreciated

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk