Giulia sprint Veloce 68

Started by boomerang147, February 18, 2014, 07:32:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Evan Bottcher

My emotional response is - please don't leave a stepnose GTV out in the weather.  They're getting rare now, and the outcome of leaving them out in the rain (under a cover, sweating) is not great.  Do you have a family member with some storage?

But it's your car, do as you please of course - I won't judge you.  You asked :)
Newest to oldest:
'13 Alfa Mito QV
'77 Alfasud Ti
'74 Alfasud Sedan
'68 1750 GTV
--> Slow and Fun - my Alfa journal

boomerang147

I havn't driven the car since June last year, but I'm sure the brakes would still be fine. The engine is running well.
The engine in the car is in the correct range. The spare is AR00526  08558 does anyone know what year that would be?

Evan, that is definitely a concern for me.. I don't want it to rot away! I think the fish oil will help.. Maybe I should spray the whole car! I don't have any other storage options at the moment.

Nick

boomerang147

Any other suggestions regarding preservation techniques? If I keep the car, then I will try and get it under cover ASAP
Nick

Davidm1600

Nick, the thing I have found with such cars, is that the longer they sit, then the more likely seals will dry and fail. So if it were me, I would re-install the door, that way you can keep moisture out of the interior.  Secondly if it starts (and you really should try starting it at least once a month) a good idea would be to be to move it around a little at your home.  Otherwise you might find the brakes either binding and/or things like the master/slave cylinder failing.  The other thing is to ensure that you have fresh coolant in the engine. 

I am not sure if it might be possible, but could an alternative to the car cover option be to try to rig up some sort of temporary shelter - 'car port.", shade cloth sort of shelter etc ??

I only am suggesting this as that then would allow air circulation around the car, you could then also use your cover more as a dust cover.  The key really being to try to get it out of the elements, rain and sun.
Current:
2003 JTS 156 sportwagon
1969 Giulia sedan (x2)
1969 AC Fiat 124 sport

Past: '76 Alfetta 1.8 GT 
        '76 Alfetta 1.8 Sedan
        ' 73 2L Berlina