fast idle switches

Started by kartone, December 27, 2013, 10:18:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

kartone

In my 1980 GTV (originally with A/C) I found two fast idle switches, one behind the clutch pedal, the other on the side of the transmission housing. According to the schematics they are connected together but not connected to anything else!
Should I just remove the switches and wiring ? 
82 GTV6 split-dash
80 Alfetta GTV

colcol

It may be to do with the emmision equipment, so that the emmision system knows what gear you are in and if the clutch is in or out, [ i used to have a Gemini that had the same system, but don't tell anybody that i had a Gemini], if your GTV has a electrical advance/retard, then it also may be linked with a temperature sensor.
Just remove them and see what happens, Colin.
1974 VW Passat [ist car] 1984 Alfa 33TI [daily driver] 2002 Alfa 156 JTS [daily driver]

kartone

Colin, have removed the switch at the clutch pedal and will advise as to any consequences once the car is back on the road ;)
82 GTV6 split-dash
80 Alfetta GTV

martym00se72

Nothing wrong with a RWD Gemini - was my first car and was great for what it was. The colour was 'fawn' so it was naturally called Bambi...
'83 GTV6 - 3.0 is in! Ohhh yeah!
'99 156 T-spark - Formula 98 ready!

What do people do with their old 2.5...?

colcol

"Nothing wrong with a RWD Gemini...mmmm, diabolical handling caused bt the centre of gravity being too high, too much unsprung weight caused by using a Torana rear axle, causing uncontrolled oversteer, when you don't want it, terrible brakes, caused by being overbraked on the back,....by using that big heavy Torana back axle, and when it rained, don't get me started!, not to mention the Alfa Romeo type rust problems, without Alfa Romeo type driving pleasures, after a drive of brothers twin carb Sud, i was on the road to ruin and opened up my eyes about how good front wheel drive on a small car can be, Colin.
1974 VW Passat [ist car] 1984 Alfa 33TI [daily driver] 2002 Alfa 156 JTS [daily driver]