How About Some Prerequesists To Be Able To Post In 'Buy/Swap/Sell'???

Started by Duk, December 06, 2013, 09:25:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Should we require an introductory post before someone can create a 'for sale' post?

Yes
No

GTV-074

I tend to agree with Duk's sentiments.

You see it time and again, first post is in the classifieds. Tough to find a workable solution though.

As others have mentioned, I would enforce a "must state price" policy. A number of other forums I subscribe to have this in place and it stops the price fishing,
underground bidding war that can otherwise eventuate.

You know the, "Gee i have xxx ...was thinking of selling .. not sure what it's worth...anyone have an idea? blah blah blah" ......

Cheers,

Paul.
Speed costs money - how fast do you want to go?

pancho

Being on both sides of the fence, my opinion (for what it's worth) is that there should be at least an introductory post requirement. I got pinged for it when I first listed my NOS GTV6 stuff years ago and I agreed that I should have introduced myself for the benefit of the community.

I also bought my GTV on a 'first post' from a seller and I guess I got lucky - my wife begs to differ. But I think one should at least post their details to avoid scammers advertising for the sake of 'fishing' for the overly trusting members on here.

I don't necessarily agree with price being a definite must (if interested then ask the seller and work it out that way) - I do however really like the current announce only setup which prevents thread shutdowns and derailment.

Gary Pearce

If it ain't broke don't fix it.
Lets encourage everybody to post regardless.
If you don't like what they have advertised.......vote with your mouse and don't respond.
If you are upset that your add has slipped down the list.......'bump it'. Not too hard.
1966 Giulia GTC
1967 Giulia Sprint GT Veloce
1974 Metalic Green Montreal
1966 Giulia Super Blue
1980 Mazda B1800
1989 MX5
2013 MB C250 Coupe

MD

QuoteIf it ain't broke don't fix it.

Gary,

Isn't that what the discussion is about?
Why create all the diversionary tactics around an ad that shouldn't there?
Transaxle Alfas Haul More Arse.

Current Fleet
Alfetta GTV6 3.0
Alfetta GTV Twin Spark supercharged racer
75 1.8L supercharged racer

Past Fleet
Alfa GT 3.2V6
Alfetta GTV 2.0
Giulia Super 2.0
Berlina 2.0

extraball

I really don't see any problems on this forum, but I haven't been here very long.

Cool Jesus

Well, here's my 2 bobs worth...
I tend to agree with DUK's sentiment and MD's points. I have in the past reported one (maybe 2) post by signal posters who were simply trying to drum up business. I think one was advertising insurance, one of my pet hates. I noticed it was their only post and thought no friggin way, so I reported it.  >:(
But we need to look more objectively at this issue. As a forum, we are in a virtual community of Alfa enthusiasts. AROCA has forum members Oz wide and is constantly growing, along with many guest viewers also watching our threads. I believe the removal of adding comments on the advertising section was a good move, as it did away with any and all negative input which some of us can't help ourselves but to post. To add further prerequisites, we start to create an elitist forum where newbies will be put off from joining. Even if it's just to post an item for sale, as long as its Alfa related, I don't personally see an issue, just because it's on here, doesn't mean it's above board either. I would and do have an issue on advertising items non Alfa related though, I certainly haven't joined the forum to be bombarded by BS advertising. Hopefully the one time poster may return and become an Uncle Col Col to impart their wisdom and knowledge on all things LUCAS.  8)
It really becomes more of how one uses the functions within the forum. I don't agree with MD's point of exposure of ones ad as I for one am a regular user of the 'show unread pots since last visit', and yes all new threads for buy/swap/sell come up, but if it holds no interest to me, I don't look it up. If it does, and I want to keep an eye on it I hit the notify button to find it later and keep informed on its progress.
A price requirement? Yeah a price would be nice, I for one would like a price up front, but if there is none I am just less likely to enquire about an item. So it's the posters loss on my part.
So the upshot for me is, leave the thread as is, however require new members joining to introduce themselves within a time frame or face having their membership revoked. In a sense this becomes a one post requirement.  ???
Present:
* '76 Alfetta GTAm 2.0 (project)
* '03 147 2.0 TS
*'12 159 Ti 1750 TBi
===================
Past:
* '10 159 2.2 JTS
* '89 164 3.0
* '98 Spider 2.0 TS

Davidm1600

Some very good points there cool jesus.  I agree, especially re not wishing this forum to be elitist, and also surely as a new poster to the forum, it is a nice way of introducing yourself and your interests/ownership whatever re Alfas.   

Personally I like to see what a seller thinks his/her part(s) are worth or at least astarting price for negotation.  Ads that don't have a price as a rule don't interest me, and hence we both miss out.

My one personal gripe with the forsale-wanted section, and I accept the no comment thing on forsale items, is that in respect of wanted ads.

It seems illogical to me that one cannot add comments, for the only way you can provide such advice currently to let someone know about where perhaps find a part (whether or not you have said part) or to fix to a problem is to PM someone.  My point here is that you actually are doing  forum members a service if you know where to find a part that someone may need, as others also might.  However, by limiting such a function to PM to the poster only is limiting.

One alternative could be perhaps to split this section and limit forsales ads to no comments but wanted ads to permit comment to be added.   Surely a thought worth considering.

Current:
2003 JTS 156 sportwagon
1969 Giulia sedan (x2)
1969 AC Fiat 124 sport

Past: '76 Alfetta 1.8 GT 
        '76 Alfetta 1.8 Sedan
        ' 73 2L Berlina

Gary Pearce

Too much writing for not much of a problem I say.
Who's to say what is of interest to whom MD. Who should adudicate? Everytime you look at any site on the Web someone is trying to advertise their wares.
It's just not a biggie IMO.
1966 Giulia GTC
1967 Giulia Sprint GT Veloce
1974 Metalic Green Montreal
1966 Giulia Super Blue
1980 Mazda B1800
1989 MX5
2013 MB C250 Coupe

Evan Bottcher

I agree it's not a biggie Gary.  I've also looked and it's not a biggie to have the forum software require the person to have made one post before allowing a post in the classifieds section.  So it wouldn't add any administrative overhead (Brad introduced this rule before, but enforced it manually and that causes more pain than it's worth).  I don't think restricting it is completely unfair either.

I'd like to get some quantitative input, so I've added a poll to this topic.  The options are 'No' - leave things as they are, or 'Yes' - require a single post somewhere else on the forum before a new user can post in the for sale section.

I'll check the numbers later in the week, and try to come to a conclusion on this one.
Newest to oldest:
'13 Alfa Mito QV
'77 Alfasud Ti
'74 Alfasud Sedan
'68 1750 GTV
--> Slow and Fun - my Alfa journal

werdna

Without wanting to bring another user into it I think it highlights why we shouldn't restrict posting to verified members.

http://www.alfaclubvic.org.au/forum/index.php?topic=11716.0

The above advertisement is a whole heap of useful and hard to find parts for a berlina.
As the owner of 3x older vehicles, advertisements like this are a goldmine.
Sure it's the guys first post but having to make several posts or wait a period before posting scares people off and make advertising on here more trouble than its worth. I'm often in a similar position (but from the other side) when looking for cars and parts on websites that allow for member only viewing comined with a cooling off period or minimum posts just to LOOK at the buy/sell section.
Most of the time these ads on our forum are useful and help keep cars on the road.
Just food for thought.
Andrew

Cool Jesus

Werdna, glad you chimed in. It was enough to sway my vote for the poll (not that it's definitive at this stage). I've been on the forum for near 2 years, and have at most only noticed 1 or 2 questionable adverts. I then read your post along with the starting post and it really distinguishes what the forum that requires 30 posts is missing out on. It takes a certain character to feel the need to join a group, let alone impart any thoughts one might have. I would never have dreamed of joining a forum, until I came into Alfa ownership and needed assistance, which came in bucket loads.
I've stated earlier that at most, maybe an intro post, but even so I don't see any issue with the thread as is. It's not to say that this thread is a waste. That's what a forum is for, to discuss ideas and it's good for the administrators to see whether the members are content or if changes need to be made. Keep the posts coming troops, no such thing as a stupid question, knowledge is power.
Present:
* '76 Alfetta GTAm 2.0 (project)
* '03 147 2.0 TS
*'12 159 Ti 1750 TBi
===================
Past:
* '10 159 2.2 JTS
* '89 164 3.0
* '98 Spider 2.0 TS

extraball

Ash Gordon

Always Looking For Another , and if someone can help regular forum users find the car they are after or a part to help complete a resto I am personally not fussed if they have posted before.

It is after all a public forum and there a rules in place to be followed. I would draw the line at excessive or commercial use of Buy/Swap/Sell but I believe that is already the case.

I recently rescued a collection of workshop manuals most of which were no use to me and was able to help out a few guys on the Historic Commercial Vehicle Club of Australia forum. Items were listed on eBay and links provided , I also offered the forum users a discount if they wanted them.

As in life a little etiquette goes a long way...
'69 105 1750 GTV White (SLOW work in progress)
'72 105 2000 GTV Green ( Donor Car)

oz3litre

I can't see any problem with the way it is. Requiring 30 posts would seem a bit elitist to me and, as others have said, we might miss out on some bargains or useful stuff. I would like us to be seen as a friendly, welcoming group of people. One of the great things about AROCA is that there is very little, if any snobbery amongst the membership.
2010 159 ti TBI. Red. Wife's daily driver.
2013 Giulietta Sportiva 1.4 MA. Anthracite Metalic  My daily driver.
2009 Mito Sport 1.4 TBI. Red. Daughter's daily driver.
1999 GTV V6. Black. Son's daily driver.

Evan Bottcher

65% of poll respondents voted 'no', so we'll continue the way things are.

Thanks for the input folks.
Newest to oldest:
'13 Alfa Mito QV
'77 Alfasud Ti
'74 Alfasud Sedan
'68 1750 GTV
--> Slow and Fun - my Alfa journal