Phillip Island historics GTAm

Started by pancho, March 29, 2014, 07:46:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

pancho

So there's been some discussion of late about the Jaegermeister GTAm at PI.

I must say I was excited to go see it and when I did see it, it looked quite polished and bright to say the least. Almost too bright! I didn't get underneath it or under the bonnet etc but my excitement and woody definitely dissapeared when it was fired up. I think my vacuum cleaner makes more of a racket.

So what's the deal? I was told it was a real one and specifically brought out to show and compete and does the historic rounds globally. I think although it looked great I am hoping others didn't feel a gipped as I did.

I found this thread earlier which might be the same car - can't be sure.

http://www.alfabb.com/bb/forums/picture-room/167612-jagermeister-project-gtam.html

GTV6SA

Its a replica , saw it in Monza a few years ago and it only had a wide angle 2 litre modified engine in it

vin sharp

Interesting thread on the BB......so it seems that the car is a recent build and not an actual GTAm.
That might explain the total lack of any original GTAm modifications and additions to the underside or interior of the car (I never did see the bonnet open, despite asking...) and the lack of GTAm  upright/steering arm, camber arm, hubs, discs, and various other mountings and fittings.
What was obvious was from the wheels and suspension/brake items to the fibreglass doors and reproduction door buttons, that much of the car has been bought off-the-shelf from various aftermarket sources. Nicely presented, but....
No wonder one Alfa enthusiast complained that he had extended a trip from NZ to see this "ex-works GTAm" at Phillip Island and what he found was 'not as good a reproduction one as one they have over in NZ....'
Not that there is anything wrong with reproduction cars where it is openly stated as such, and not openly suggested to be otherwise.
There are many very nice GTA and Am replicas getting around in AROCA circles in Australia; I wonder if any of them will be offered free entries to next year's major events.......
Vin