Brakes Squealing!

Started by Quattroporte, November 09, 2013, 07:15:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mick A

Quote from: Craig_m67 on January 04, 2014, 12:25:38 PM
We didn't bother putting the undertray back on mine after redoing the front wishbones/links and ARB. That was five years ago, no drama or noticeable difference other than the benefit of being able to reach and change the oil filter more easily !

I'd highly recommend to other owners to leave the under tray on as long as it is still serviceable.

AikenDrum105

Regarding the squeaking pads - and apologies if you know this already -  if you take them out and lightly chamfer the leading edge (the edge the disc feeds into when travelling forwards)    it can stop the squealing.   I tend to do this on any new pads I fit these days..   it's only a 3-5mm chamfer we're talking.

I think most modern car pads come with an anti-squeal backing on them already - but a little of that orange stop-squeal you can get from repco/bursons/autobarn  smeared on the back of the pads and let tack dry works wonders as well.

Cheers,

Scott.
Scott
'66 Giulia Super 105.28.720988 TS+MS3+ITB+COP
'65 Giulia Sprint GT 105.04.753710
'04 156 JTS Sportwagon

Earlier follies...
'66 Duetto 105.05.710057
'85 GTV6
'71 1750 GTV

Craig_m67

Quote from: Choderboy on January 13, 2014, 10:34:12 AM
We didn't bother putting the undertray back on mine after redoing the front wishbones/links and ARB. That was five years ago, no drama or noticeable difference other than the benefit of being able to reach and change the oil filter more easily !

I'd highly recommend to other owners to leave the under tray on as long as it is still serviceable.

Why?
'66 Duetto (lacework of doom)
'73 1600 GT Junior (ensconced)
'03 156 1.9JTD Sportwagon (daily driver)

colcol

And you put a chamfer on the leading edge by rubbing on rough concrete, not be grinding, as you don't want to be creating dust, except for jallopys from Great Wall, all brake pads are free of dangerous stuff that use to be made by Hardie Ferodo and co.
You can use that brake quite silicone, some manufacturers use a shim behind the brake pad.
Leave the undertray on as it will catch all oil and coolant leaks and make them easier to find, Colin.
1974 VW Passat [ist car] 1984 Alfa 33TI [daily driver] 2002 Alfa 156 JTS [daily driver]

Mick A

Quote from: Craig_m67 on January 14, 2014, 12:29:10 AM
Quote from: Choderboy on January 13, 2014, 10:34:12 AM

Why?

So when you hit a fucking rock or whatever debris is on the road, it doesn't either damage your oil cooler lines on a V6, or puncture your oil filter on a Tspark.

You're welcome.

colcol

And you will keep your engine cleaner, avoiding crap being thrown up when it rains, if it wasn't needed, Alfa would have left it off, in this world where accountants are more important than engineers, they have been known to make bolts 1mm shorter to save money, over production of  hundreds of thousands of cars, all adds up, Colin.
1974 VW Passat [ist car] 1984 Alfa 33TI [daily driver] 2002 Alfa 156 JTS [daily driver]