Alfasud Doco - in italian, - great footage

Started by blazingsud, September 02, 2013, 02:07:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

blazingsud

found this doco,

As true enthusiasts of Italian cars, we didn't want you to miss out on this amazing documentary about Alfasud. Those who think that the term Alfasud only stands for a model from the seventies/eighties – and was the cause for Alfa's international image problem –, are wrong. Next to the typical (Southern) Italian problems, Alfasud is also the story about a successful and booming Alfa Romeo in the Southern side of Italy. Without this rich history in Pomigliano d'Arco near Naples, Alfa wouldn't have had the chance to flourish in the early twentieth century and help Milan towards its vivid automotive industry with 'AlfaNord'. And to complete the story; Fiat would nowadays not be able to build important cars such as the Panda in Italy, had it not been for Alfasud.

The documentary 'Un auto chiamata Sud' by Giuseppe Pesce and Aldo Zappalà takes its viewers on a wonderful journey through the history of Alfa Romeo. A journey that would never have taken place without the contributions of important people such as Nicola Romeo (the Neapolitan who immediately gave a new impulse to the company thanks to the work he created in Pomigliano d'Arco) and Giuseppe Luraghi. Though this southern side of Alfa Romeo has always been – and still is – the epicenter of a class struggle between the Italian politics and those who are against it, it is also the factory which resembles the Italian resilience and inventiveness. Alfasud stands for the succeeding and the failing of an industrialized south. This place just under Rome meant the domination of Alfa Romeo by fascism (IRI) to be set free by politics only decades later. As a result, this factory has become a symbol of a late reformation of the Italian (automotive) industry and also of a second life for the glorious Alfa Romeo. The brand with nine lives. Unfortunately, the documentary is 100% Italian without subtitles. The footage is unique, though, and should be more than enough to persuade you into watching this epic documentary.

http://www.autoedizione.com/alfasud-a-documentary-about-the-southern-heart-of-alfa-romeo/
Nigel Hyphen Donut
2010 159 2.4JTDm SW
74 sud  Blue Procida
76 sud L Silver
76 sud.L Coral Red,
78 Sprint 1.5 Red Twin carb
82 Alfasud Ti 1.5
83 Alfasud Ti 1.5
Porsche 928S4,Ducati 907ie x 2,Lambretta
Haflinger
past
79 Alfasud,Alfetta 2.0
76 Autodelta Alfetta GTAM
64 Guilia Sprint Gt "Patchwork"

Ricky Ricardo

That's freekin awesome, wish I could understand the lingo. I think the sud while nearly sending them bust was also alfas biggest selling model in there history!   

colcol

The Alfasud was the biggest selling Alfa Romeo in history, followed by the 33 then the 156, now Alfa Romeo is down to 2 models only and making only 100,000 cars a year, this is dangerously close to Saab teritory.
A bizzare thing happened to me about 10 years ago, i just happened to tune in by accident to a documentry on radio about the Alfasud project and how it was designed to soak up unemployment in the South, but the North were not too happy about all the resources going to the South, so they were less than helpfull, along with Fiat who didn't want a sub 1300cc car competing with the smaller Fiats, then there was the involvment of crime in the poor South Italy who dictated prices and suppliers, which compromised quality, cannot even remember what the doco was called, but it was most likely the ABC, Colin.
1974 VW Passat [ist car] 1984 Alfa 33TI [daily driver] 2002 Alfa 156 JTS [daily driver]

lombardi

Grazie for the excellent documentary,
I grew up in italy at that time at ostia near rome and remembering all the opinions from the romans saying that the project will not work due to the attitude from mezzogiorno ie, refering to the work ethics of the napoletani, of course in those times unions where very strong and workers stuck together. great doco.
forza lazio,viva l'alfa

Current Alfa=

Giulietta 2015 QV manual Ghiaccio

1974 Spider series 2 ,carabinieri blu

Previous Alfas=

33x4 1985 wagon
33 ti 1985
156 sportswagon manual red
Alfetta sportiva 1981 red
166 silver 1999

Paul Gulliver

QuoteI grew up in italy at that time at ostia

A bit off topic , but WOW, that must have been a great place to grow up . I have been to Rome a couple of times , the old Port of Ostia must be one of Rome's  top hidden gems. so close to Rome yet hardly any tourists .  Imagine if you had been the harbour master there 2000 years ago. The things going through the old port then would still make your eyes water today.

Maybe something like this

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JOZ382-AvDk

Paul Gulliver
Present
2017 Silver Giulia Veloce
1979 Silver Alfa 116 GTV Twin Spark
1973 Red Alfa 105 2.0 GTV

Past
2013 Giulietta QV
2006 Black 159 2.2 J
1970 Dutch Blue Series 2 1750
1975 Blue Alfetta Sedan 1.8
1981 Piper Yellow Alfetta GTV 2000
1985 Red Alfetta GTV2.0
1989 White Alfa 164
2000 156

lombardi

Thanks Paul for the youtube link, very interesting , of course now Ostia is very different, the coastline is filled with private beaches including amenities like cabins and swimming pools and the Kursaal has its own 10 meter diving boards plus of course bar and restaurant where u can dine in ur cozzies and have a birra alla spina,very civilized, Fiumicino is the main port, mainly fishing boats, if u pick the right time,u can hackle for the catch of the day. I visited again this February with my son, it was a cold day but gloriously sunny, my son could not believe how many people all dressed up for the passegiata along the seaside, enjoyng of course a caffe and cornetto. regards Angelo
forza lazio,viva l'alfa

Current Alfa=

Giulietta 2015 QV manual Ghiaccio

1974 Spider series 2 ,carabinieri blu

Previous Alfas=

33x4 1985 wagon
33 ti 1985
156 sportswagon manual red
Alfetta sportiva 1981 red
166 silver 1999