147 Windscreen Washers

Started by Garibaldi, August 05, 2013, 04:31:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Craig_m67

It's just one pump, two outlets, fluid is diverted by one way valve dependant on pump spin. Pump is and interference fit in the washer bottle with. Grommet, just pull it out.
'66 Duetto (lacework of doom)
'73 1600 GT Junior (ensconced)
'03 156 1.9JTD Sportwagon (daily driver)

colcol

Alfa, er Fiat must have been too stingy to put a pump in the hatch, so they ran a long washer pipe......, even the 33 has a pump in the hatch, would be a decent sized pump to run that far with the water!, see you learn interesting things on this Forum all the time, Colin.
1974 VW Passat [ist car] 1984 Alfa 33TI [daily driver] 2002 Alfa 156 JTS [daily driver]

Garibaldi

Good news, it is fixed. It was the pump. Not the easiest to get at though. I unbolted and moved the coolant reservoir out of the way which exposed the washer bottle and the pump. The pump is a force fit through a grommet, I just pulled it out and disconnected the wiring and washer tubes then reconnected the same to the new pump. It helps to soak the washer tubes in boiling water to soften them up prior to fitting them to the new pump as the go on a whole lot easier. I found that it is best to install :) the grommet in the washer bottle first prior to inserting the new pump. I purchased an after market pump on Ebay for about 80% less than the price of a genuine one and it works well. Thanks again guys for all of your suggestions.