Successful Ebay purchases for the 156

Started by Bear157, July 28, 2013, 11:16:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bear157

For those interested, I've just had a couple of successful eBay purchases of replacement new parts for the 156. Mine is the TI Facelift model.

1. Purchased some new leather gaiters for the gear stick and handbrake. The ones I bought were actually a tad thicker than the Alfa ones and the holes for the pins were slightly out of alignment, however, with a couple of carefully placed nicks with a sharp knife and some slow and steady stretching over the base (followed by some steady re-inserting of the completed replacement), it all came together well. All up, $22.50 inc. freight from the UK. It looks great and fits well. I did give them a pre-install of some RM Williams leather moisturiser to get them off on the right start given they were thicker leather.

2. Also from the UK, I purchased 2 new replacement Alfa Romeo 3D logos for my key fobs. I know this seems fickle, but they look much better now. These replacements are fantastic quality and have raised lines in the logo. Again, ridiculously cheap at around $8.00 inc. freight from UK for the 2. You just have to be careful which car you order for (measure the hole where the logo goes) because there is more than one size. Mine was the 15mm from memory.

Cheers

Rob

bteoh

Hi Rob,
Would be interested where you got the Alfa badge for the key fob.
Thanks,
Brian

Bear157

This is a link http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2x-Key-Fob-Case-Remote-Badge-Logo-Emblem-Sticker-for-Alfa-147-159-Mito-Giulietta-/111048191159?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item19dafcecb7 to another one (15mm) that the guy has on eBay Brian. To be honest, they look better in reality than they do in the pictures, which is usually the other way around.

dehne

Hi all I just purchased the front suspension kit, upper and lower control arms and stabaliser bars $290 delivered, just need to install now, I am also looking at the black ball for the sele but not sure how hard it is to replace
now
1x 85 mdl road 90
2013 Giulietta 1.4
2015 Launch Edition Giulietta
Past
Multiple Alfa 90's, Alfetta's and 147's

bteoh

Hi Rob,

Thanks for the link. Much appreciated :)

Cheers,
Brian

Davidm1600

Dehne, where did you get the kit from, off ebay and a local supplier ??   In the past I have bought the upper front control arms and Bilsteins all around from EB Spares for a good price.  Ditto also a set of rubber front sway bar bushes.  I need to get the lower front control arms and drop links and that will finish off the front suspension sorting out on mine.

Does anyone have thoughts on the quality of the control arms as sold through Ebay sellers locally ?
Current:
2003 JTS 156 sportwagon
1969 Giulia sedan (x2)
1969 AC Fiat 124 sport

Past: '76 Alfetta 1.8 GT 
        '76 Alfetta 1.8 Sedan
        ' 73 2L Berlina

L4OMEO

Quote from: Davidm1750 on July 29, 2013, 02:32:57 PM
Dehne, where did you get the kit from, off ebay and a local supplier ??   In the past I have bought the upper front control arms and Bilsteins all around from EB Spares for a good price.  Ditto also a set of rubber front sway bar bushes.  I need to get the lower front control arms and drop links and that will finish off the front suspension sorting out on mine.

Does anyone have thoughts on the quality of the control arms as sold through Ebay sellers locally ?

Yes. they're notoriously crap. Many of the UK guys have tried them (as have a few Aussies) and reported that some of these parts have lasted as little as 3-4 months, others maybe 12 months. Given the labour content of replacing these, a few extra quid for good quality parts is money well spent IMHO.
2002 156 GTA

Davidm1600

Thanks, that too had been my experience in the past, and hence have been buying my parts from EB Spares.
Current:
2003 JTS 156 sportwagon
1969 Giulia sedan (x2)
1969 AC Fiat 124 sport

Past: '76 Alfetta 1.8 GT 
        '76 Alfetta 1.8 Sedan
        ' 73 2L Berlina

colcol

With the 156 control arms, from EB,  you get 3 choices, most expensive, Genuine Alfa Romeo parts in Alfa Romeo packaging, Mid range price, Non Alfa Romeo approved parts made in the same factory or company, such as TRW, with the Alfa Romeo logo ground off, Cheapest, Generic replacement part made by unknown manufacturer, thats my experience anyway, Colin.
1974 VW Passat [ist car] 1984 Alfa 33TI [daily driver] 2002 Alfa 156 JTS [daily driver]

Neil Choi

So Col, of the three choices, what is best to go for.

I know this is a dumb question, I am a dumb person as I am a racing car driver or pretends to be one!!!

Neil

colcol

Neil, if i was paying someone to do the job i would go with the Genuine Alfa Romeo part as you only want to do the job once, and the part would be quality checked to Alfa Romeo's impeccable Quality control department, secondly if i was doing it myself, and paying myself nothing, i would choose the the Manufacturers part that had been Quality checked by TRW, but not Alfa Romeo, but obviously they are not allowed to put the Alfa Romeo logo on it, because its not approved by Alfa Romeo, if its not right i can always take it off and send it back.
The non genuine replica's i would touch, as i have heard nothing but bad reports on them, not once has anybody said that they were good, .....for roadworthy's only or t1ght a55es that go round to repair places wanting a cheap job, persons that know the price of everything and the value of nothing, Colin.
1974 VW Passat [ist car] 1984 Alfa 33TI [daily driver] 2002 Alfa 156 JTS [daily driver]

colcol

And another thing, when replacing the control arms, replace the pivot bolts as well, they are $10-$20 each or so, when i did my upper control arms in the 156, i measured the old pivot bolts and the new pivot bolts and the old ones had some wear in them, and had i put the old bolts back, then the new control arms would have rattled on the old bolts, Colin.

Cool Jesus

Regarding the mentioned key fob logos.

I initially did the same for my Spider key fob with a plastic gel coated sticker off ebay. Looked OK, price was good too, but it just didn't quite do it for me. Not having had or seen what an example should have been like, I did have my 147 key fob with the metal logo. Hmmm, after some deliberation and searching I found some actual pieces being sold on the web. Must have been gold plated unobtainium items considering the asking price. Anyhow, I came across some Alfa Romeo logo lapel/tie/cuff link pins in my search and I'll be damned, they were spot on for size and comparable in price to the gel coated stick ons. Anyhow, ordered the coloured metal pins, lobbed off the stem, a bit of contact cement and nek minut, what looked to be an original key fob  ;D

Just an alternative, for those more anal like myself. Oh, that last sentence doesn't sound good at all ... ???   
Present:
* '76 Alfetta GTAm 2.0 (project)
* '03 147 2.0 TS
*'12 159 Ti 1750 TBi
===================
Past:
* '10 159 2.2 JTS
* '89 164 3.0
* '98 Spider 2.0 TS

Domenic

Quote from: L4OMEO on July 29, 2013, 04:45:05 PM
Quote from: Davidm1750 on July 29, 2013, 02:32:57 PM

Yes. they're notoriously crap. Many of the UK guys have tried them (as have a few Aussies) and reported that some of these parts have lasted as little as 3-4 months, others maybe 12 months. Given the labour content of replacing these, a few extra quid for good quality parts is money well spent IMHO.

I have also heard that the cheaper arms are indeed bad. Was told by a mechanic about those ones on eBay for about $200-$250 for all 4 arms and the drop links, that he has seen those arms crack and snap. Doesn't surprise me, when you break it down, less than $50 an item what would one think they are made off when you compare to quality ones which cost a lot more.

I guess the old saying goes "you get what you paid for."
I know I wouldn't be trusting the weight of the car on those online arms, when for a bit extra you can either buy locally or from the UK guys, all which use reputable and quality arms.

ANG156

It would be interesting to get a weight comparison of the quality arms and the ebay items so one can really know how much of a lesser quality they are.