Shannons car insurance...good experience...update!

Started by DomenicC1, May 17, 2013, 07:23:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DomenicC1

Decided to get another quote from Shannons car insurance today for my 83 Alfetta GTV 2.0 and found they were quite competitive with their insurance premium and gave me an agreed value of $6000 and did not ask questions on the condition of the vehicle. They were also good to deal with!
This was a major improvement compared to 5 years ago when I got a quote from Shannons and they were the most expensive and offered a very dismal agreed value on my car. About time their premiums are competitive with other Insurance companies and finally acknowledge the value of Alfetta GTV's, but still some way to go!
Current: 83 Alfetta GTV 2.0 (Red)

Past: 82 Alfetta GTV 2.0 (Red)
      : 87 Alfa 75 V6 2.5 (Silver)

colcol

When i purchased the 156 over 4 years ago, i was too scared to phone Shannons for a qoute, and after a Falcon owner at work telling me he has his Falcon insured with Shannons because they are cheap, i got a price and they were very similar to RACV and AAMI, but with Shannons you can choose your own Panel Beater and god forbid, buy back the wreck, brother had the same experience with his 147, Colin.
1974 VW Passat [ist car] 1984 Alfa 33TI [daily driver] 2002 Alfa 156 JTS [daily driver]

DomenicC1

They certainly have improved since my first experience with them and would recommend to give them a go if anyone is looking for competitive car insurance...

Spada

Hmm, I was looking to buy a 1985 GTV just this week and thought I'd ring Shannons for a quote. Cutting a long story short, I got hung up on by a very rude operator. Anyone else had this experience?
105 2L Group Sc Racer - FOR SALE
147 Twin Spark Racer - Converted to scrap metal
147 GTA - Racer build in progress
147 Twin Spark - Waiting to become a racer

colcol

I had a good experience, they 'interviewed' me for about 10 minutes to find out if i was a true car enthusiest, 2 Alfa Romeo's, what else could i be!, such questions, in a car club, been on any club events, ever restored a car, read car books, interested in motor racing, etc, and they are underwritten by AAMI, Colin.
1974 VW Passat [ist car] 1984 Alfa 33TI [daily driver] 2002 Alfa 156 JTS [daily driver]

AikenDrum105

Very happy with Shannons,  we have the house etc with them and all our cars... 

Along the lines of what Col said,  a friend of mine moved to them recently and said he felt they grilled him a little to check if he was a car buff or not....  but was still happy with the service / price.

we've had two claims with them,  one at fault and one not - both handled very quickly.   

the enthusiast benefits on the house (tools / workshop etc)  are good,  as is the buy back on older cars, and the one free glass replacement per year policy... 

Never had an issue with the agreed value on cars,  although they will require an inspection of the car if you push it too far..   I've found you can nudge it up a k or so every year at renewal time without too much drama or increase in premium.   

One interesting thing, they gave my wife 100% no claim bonus immediately as she'd been covered as a named under 25 driver in my old 1750 gtv for a 2 years when she bought her own car.   the usual suspects in the industry wouldn't have a bar of that at the time.   (admittedly this was more than 10 years ago..  :eek: 

Cheers,
Scott
'66 Giulia Super 105.28.720988 TS+MS3+ITB+COP
'65 Giulia Sprint GT 105.04.753710
'04 156 JTS Sportwagon

Earlier follies...
'66 Duetto 105.05.710057
'85 GTV6
'71 1750 GTV

Beatle

You need to check prices EVERY YEAR!!!   Insurers change their risk calculations and one car/driver combo may be expensive with one insurer one year, but considerably cheaper the next.  You can no longer just set-and-forget.  Consider using a broker (for all your insurances) as they are paid to do the legwork, and don't cost a lot.

For the record I've used Shannons in the past, and still have my 4WD with them (the last one was stolen and torched).  My 90 is with Lumleys.
Paul B
QLD

Past:
'79 GTV - Loyal 1st love
'76 GT - Track entry
'89 75TS - Saved
'76 Alfetta - Sacrificed
'83 GTV6 - NT bullet
'67 Duetto - Fun
'66 Super - Endearing
'92 164 - Stunning
'85 90 - Odd
'04 GT 3.2 Rosso/Tan - Glorious
'02 156 V6 Auto Rosso/Tan - Useful daily

Rok_Dr

Yep x2 Paul.. It pays the check prices and agreed values. I have my discovery 2 with SGIO but agreed value dropped from $23k to $16k, due to an internal  change in valuation ranges.  Needless to say I will be moving on.

For the record I give Lumleys a thumbs up when the poo hits the fan. No drama's last year then my range rover was written off due to a fire.

Cheers

Steve.
1986 Alfa Romeo GTV6 Grand Prix
1994 Jaguar XJ40 V12 "Lady Penelope"
2003 Discovery 2 S Td5 "Charlie"
2006 19'6" Windsor Genesis "The Castle"
2002 Nissan Pulsar ST "Iggy"

Steve S

I have my Fiat with Shannons and also my partner's Toyota because it gives us a 10% discount on both. I did check around other insurers for the Toyota and I was surprised how competitive Shannons were. The only company that could beat the price by a decent amount was Youi. However they are a real problem, they wanted me to get the car checked by an agent for condition, they did not offer choice of repairer or things like excess free glass cover. I also switch my home contents to Shannons as they were $100 cheaper than AAMI who we were using previously.

oz3litre

I have always had great experiences with Shannons. The staff have to be car enthusiasts to work there and are genuinely interested in your car if you take it to them. The are easy to deal with and settle claims with no hassles. I stick to them for that reason. I'm done with insurance companies that try to worm out of paying for decent repairs. The last thing you need after having an accident is to fight with an insurance company.
2010 159 ti TBI. Red. Wife's daily driver.
2013 Giulietta Sportiva 1.4 MA. Anthracite Metalic  My daily driver.
2009 Mito Sport 1.4 TBI. Red. Daughter's daily driver.
1999 GTV V6. Black. Son's daily driver.

Davidm1600

Been with Shannons possibly for more years than I wish to contemplate, have all the cars, houses and yes even contents insured with them. 

Never had an issue nor even been grilled re whether or not a car enthusiast.  Dealt with my claim perfectly, when needed.   Perhaps it helps that our local rep, is also a car enthusiast and has been to our club meetings etc, so is pretty familiar with club members.  Oh and of course you get an additional discount for being a club member, on top of multiple policy discounts. 

Basically will stay with them and not even interested in looking around for another insurer.
Current:
2003 JTS 156 sportwagon
1969 Giulia sedan (x2)
1969 AC Fiat 124 sport

Past: '76 Alfetta 1.8 GT 
        '76 Alfetta 1.8 Sedan
        ' 73 2L Berlina

DomenicC1

Since my original post 10 days ago, I have done a bit more shopping around to see if I could better Shannons quote which was the cheapest and offering the highest agreed value by far! I decided to do what I have done many times over the years which always finds me the best deal and that is to go through a broker. I received a quote from 'Enthusiast motor insurance' which was cheaper by a little more than $100 than Shannons and offered an agreed value of $7000 which is a $1000 more than Shannons can offer.

I called more than a dozen insurance companies, all the major ones and a few not so well known, well not to me anyway! So I think I'm done ringing around and listening to all the bullshit excuses to why their insurance premiums are through the roof for such an old car. I discovered I could insure the latest commodore for cheaper which is worth 10 times more and probably the same to have it repaired than my 83 Alfa GTV.

So my advice would be if you haven't done so before give 'Enthusiast' a call. But, to give you a heads up, use a broker because they will always get a cheaper deal than you can by calling yourself and I have put this theory to the test and always turned out to be true. Oh, and Enthusiast included all the little extra goodies that some other insurers charged as an extra.

Hope this info is useful to someone :)

colcol

And make sure that you can choose your own panel beater, in Melbourne 2 well known insurance companies, one sponsors a horse race and the other is a supposed voice for the motorist, well when you take your car to Preston, they put it in a big shed and unknown Panel beaters walk round and give qoutes to them and the other one has their shed in a panel beating place, except there is no panel beating taking place, just panel beaters putting their price on a car, with Shannons you can choose your own panel beater, that you know does a good job, Shannons sponsor car shows like Spectacolo and such, but have nothing to do with horse races, Shannons also sponsor car racing, because its more related to cars, not horses, my 2 cents worth, Colin.

DomenicC1

Enthusiast Motor Insurance allow you to choose your own repairer as well!