Current Model Workshop Night

Started by colcol, April 02, 2013, 09:30:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

frankfassi

Driving down to Melbourne from the Gold Coast without breaking down? Remember I drive an Alfa. Just kidding. Let me see. I'm pretty keen but work is busy at the moment and with 2 kids I barely have time to scratch my back.  Do you actually have any material like vids or booklets for people who aren't able to attend?

colcol

If possible i will try and post some photos and i will give a brief rundown on the night, with less than a week to go it is now about half full, get those bookings in now!, Colin.
1974 VW Passat [ist car] 1984 Alfa 33TI [daily driver] 2002 Alfa 156 JTS [daily driver]

colcol

Went down to Zagames last Sunday to check it out, not a lot of parking around Richmond, you may need to park in a side street, to all those coming along, give yourself plenty of time to find a parking spot, and the traffic will be at peak around 6-30 at night, so take all these into account, Colin.
1974 VW Passat [ist car] 1984 Alfa 33TI [daily driver] 2002 Alfa 156 JTS [daily driver]

colcol

I just wanted you to know that Joseph Toro - Brand Manager, Fiat Group Brands and Joe Diaz - National Technical Service Manager - Fiat Group Brands from Fiat Chrysler have kindly agreed to be part of our Alfa Club workshop night on Friday, should be a great night!, Colin.

colcol

Still a couple of vacant spots for the workshop night at Zagame's, a little late to email me, so text me on 0407 090 826, tell us if you are coming along, just don't turn up, as we have a limit of 40, see you on Friday, Colin.

colcol

We ran the current model workshop at Zagame's in Richmond last Friday night, there were 31 club members booked in.
The night started off in the Zagame Showroom for Italian cars with Alfa Romeo being the star product with support from Fiat products and the Audi owned brand Lamborghini.
We were welcomed by Joseph Toro who is Brand Manager for Fiat Group Brands who gave us an insight into the future under Chrysler Distributing the products, and how it has gone from 18 dealers across Australia to nearly 70 in the near future, Joseph worked with the old Alfa Romeo Australia at Beauchamp road Matraville up until Alfa Romeo closed down, and then Alfa Romeo was fired up again by then importer Ateco in 1998, Joseph thanked the Alfisti for keeping the faith during the lean periods.
Also present was Joe Diaz The National Technical Service Manager who gave a rundown on the latest engine technoligy that Alfa Romeo engines are using, such as Multi-air engines that have no inlet camshaft, but the valves are operated by a solenoid and oil pressure, so that they can open at various lengths and duration to suit various driving modes, the exhaust is less important and uses a conventional camshaft for valve actuation, Joe said its important to use the correct Selenia oil as it affects the new tech engine operations of the valve train, it seems Alfa Romeo are working on Multi-air applications for their diesel range as well, imagine a 2.4 diesel Multi-air, i hope they beef up the driveline!
Then it was out to the workshop where there was a range of new model car including MiTo, Guilietta and new again 159.
They were up on hoists so the Alfisti could get a good look under the cars, and they are very well built now, unlike 30 years ago, all the cars are galvanised and rust is a long gone worry, and all the cars have very high safety ratings in crash tests, then front rails get damaged in a frontal impact are easily replaced, also for enviromental reasons the new cars have a water based paint, which has a high lustre and durability, this is different to say a 156, which has a 2 pack paint system.
The Workshop Foreman recently went to Italy for a competition like Masterchef, except for Mechanics, where they had to diagnose problems and fix them within a certain time, he come out on top, well done!
There was a question and answer session for all the cars under the microscope, such as what oils to use, [Selenia], cam belt change periods, coolant types and the length they can be used for, they also have a brake fluid checker that determines when the brake fluid has to be changed, to eliminate guesswork, we also talked about diesel fuels and the upsurge in diesel powered cars that has been brought about by Australia catching up with Europe and changing the specs on diesel fuel from Truck to highly refined with no impurities in it, when a diesel powered car comes into Zagame's Workshop with issues they check the fuel in the car so they can determine what the problem is, the new premium diesel fuels make the car rattle less and they don't have the truck diesel smell as much.
Thank you to Tracey for helping organise the night and providing us with nibbles and Augustin for a rundown on the current Alfa Romeo range, thank you also to the 31 members who put their hand up to come along, and in general thank you to our good long time club sponsor Zagame's at 362 Swan St. Richmond.
Next technical night as ever is up to you the club member, if there is something you want to do, tell me and if you are a workshop / service provider and you would like to run a technical night, contact me and i will try to organise it, Colin.