New 156 GTA owner! Pic's included

Started by Afkap, March 01, 2013, 05:50:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Afkap

Ok, well the clutch finally went last night on the way back from work. Made it down the road about 3 minutes then it packed it in. Couldn't change into gear, funny noise, rattling etc. Annoying, but was expected! Had it towed to Eurosport, spoke to Peter who's expecting me in there this morning to have a chat.

Now seems to be the time to get everything done, seeing as they'll be in there racking up the labour anyway. Bushes need to be done, so they'll have to drop the subframe. Clutch, wouldn't mind installing the Q2 as well. I believe there is about 1 year left on the timing belt. Would it be worth while getting them to do that as well whilst they are in there?

Craig_m67

Yes.

No point paying them to disassemble the car again when you do those jobs later. Don't forget the metal impeller water pump.

'66 Duetto (lacework of doom)
'73 1600 GT Junior (ensconced)
'03 156 1.9JTD Sportwagon (daily driver)

Davidm1600

If you are needing a whole lot of parts for your GTA, it could be worth checking out EB Spares in the UK to see if they can do a better price than locally.  I have used them for all the parts I have needed for my 156 JTS and saved a bundle.  Even with postage it has been cheaper, and it normally only takes at most a week for parts to arrive, sometimes even quicker.
Current:
2003 JTS 156 sportwagon
1969 Giulia sedan (x2)
1969 AC Fiat 124 sport

Past: '76 Alfetta 1.8 GT 
        '76 Alfetta 1.8 Sedan
        ' 73 2L Berlina

Meng

Would definitely get the Q2 and clutch done together, and if doing belts then do water pump as well.  But if there's a year left on the belt then wait until then to change it, that's 30% of recommended life left (unless you're hitting close to the Max kms on the belts).

+1 on EB Spares, they should have everything you need.

Alfa Romeo 156 GTA 3.2 V6

Afkap

Thanks for the replies guys. Went in and saw Peter on Thursday morning and had a chat. I mentioned EBspares, he said they get all their parts from a wholesaler over in England, didn't seem to keen on the idea of using EBspares. I didn't ask him if he'd be happy with me ordering them all in...

All up he gave me a rough quote for around $3300 to do the Q2 dif and clutch. Might also need a new fly wheel which will add $400 to the price. This include parts and labour. He said I'd be better off waiting another year for the timing belt. The headlight he reckons is a faulty connection, they will attempt to find out.

Thoughts on the pricing for the above work guys? Peter as usual was a pleasure to deal with.

Craig_m67

For the fun of it I priced the 3.2 clutch and diff kits (Q2 or Quaife) from EB and Autolusso.
They come out within eight dollars of each other at $1,200./ ex. freight
Both use OEM parts for the clutch. 
There's a difference in the diffs (obvioulsy).  I read the Quaife is better, you need to do your own diligence.

Both of these can be fitted at the same time inside an 8 hour day
The diff is plug and play, no shims or adjustments should be required.

$2.2K labor to fit a clutch and diff (a days work) is taking the piss in my opinion, find another indie.

Craig
'66 Duetto (lacework of doom)
'73 1600 GT Junior (ensconced)
'03 156 1.9JTD Sportwagon (daily driver)

Afkap

That's interesting to hear, thanks for the info Craig. Can you by chance post up links to these parts? I've had a look at autolusso, clutch and q2 diff upgrade kit comes to £1200, add on import duties to that, can see it starting to cost around $2200AU. Then labour on top...