Spin-on Oil Filter Adaptor

Started by Ash Gordon, June 16, 2008, 09:45:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ash Gordon

I was just wondering if anyone has or is using an oil filter adpator, pictured below from Italservice in Adelaide. " fits Alfa Romeo 101 and 105 models with 1300, 1600 and 1750cc engines."

What are the pros / cons of switching to the adpater?

I have one floating around and as the car is due for an oil change was contemplating changing over from the old cartidge filter.

cheers Ash
'69 105 1750 GTV White (SLOW work in progress)
'72 105 2000 GTV Green ( Donor Car)

1750GTV

Ash,
I heard about these some time ago and would also be interested in comments from those who have converted their old filters.
Surely they couldn't be any messier or more difficult to get to than the standard 'can' ?
Chris
1957 Giulietta Spider (750D)
1968 Fiat 500F
1970 1750GTV

branko.gt

there is nothing wrong with the standard can and paper filter. It is not particularly difficult or messy to replace with just a little bit of care.
The paper filters are readily available and provide large filtering surface which means minimal pressure drop in the filter.
There is also less rubbish and throw away materials when you replace the paper filter from the old style can.

IMHO there really is little to be gained by the spin on filter adapter.

1750GTV

Ash & Branko,
OK, I'll keep the paper filter - got a few dozen lying around the shed anyway. I've also heard a few bad stories about the spin on variety so I'm quite happy to keep the car original.
Also, I guess it's only messy for me because I usually run the motor to heat the oil and redissolve the nasty combustion acids (though this may be another urban myth) so the exhaust headers are still a bit warm when I get to that bit of then oil change routine.
Finally, the environmental concerns you mentioned are also very valid.
Thanks,
Chris
1968 Fiat 500F
1970 1750GTV

Ash Gordon

Thanks for the feedback Chris & Branko.

Chris,  Just wondering what "bad" stories have you heard?

The actual unit looks very well manufactured, machined from one piece of alloy - very clever albeit basic design.

I wouldn't have thought too much could go wrong with such a straight forward design??

Perhaps I should stick with the standard can and paper filter for now, rather than be the guinea pig that tests the unit!

cheers Ash
'69 105 1750 GTV White (SLOW work in progress)
'72 105 2000 GTV Green ( Donor Car)

1750GTV

As far as I know the adaptor is very well made by the firm in Adelaide who market it (Italservice) - another great Australian design.
The stories I've heard concern the spin on filters themselves. Poor manufacture, internal leaks, high resistance etc. Not all of them are bad, but some just seem to have either initial design faults or poor quality control. The main perpetrator seems to be Fram, with Purolator being one of the best brands. On the other hand, the cartridge types (technocar) seem to be universally good.
I know none of this from first experience, just what I've read and heard.

The pictures show the various types of spin on filters and their contents plus the original cartidge type that we are all familiar with.

Chris.
1968 Fiat 500F
1970 1750GTV