Hazard Switch wiring

Started by GTVeloce, January 03, 2013, 10:45:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

GTVeloce

Hi all

Is anyone able to help with the sequence of wires on the hazard switch for a GTV? There is one central pin which is for the black wire, and then a ring of pins with a small space between two of them. What would be really helpful is if someone could look at theirs and tell what the order of wire colours are in clockwise order whilst looking at the pins, starting at the space. Even a photo from the back would help if it shows the coloured order.

I thought I had it right but when I put the indicators on (either side) all indicators flash simultaneously which I suspect is coming from the hazard switch.

Thanks.

Alan Hopla

The spare 8 pin hazard switch that I have has the pins marked starting at the gap and moving clockwise around the switch looking from the rear as follows;
49a
30b
R
L
The centre pin is marked 31.

I had a look at a switch fitted to a 77 GTV and it has 7 pin switch fitted, the wires are fitted to the pins as follows;
49a - White & Black
49 - Red & Black
30b - Does not exist on this switch, (so this should be your extra lead!)
R - Light Blue, (right hand lamps?)
30 - Red
15 - Pink
L - Blue & Black, ( left hand lamps?)
31 - Black.

I'm pretty sure my 83 has the 8 pin switch, but I won't be having a look at that out in the sun in this heat. Maybe tonight or tomorrow.

Alan.
Alan Hopla
77' 116GTV
83' 116GTV TwinSpark
04' GT 3.2 V6, Stromboli Grey

GTVeloce

Thanks Alan, this is of great help. I will check it out tonight and hopefully it fixes my woes.

GTVeloce

I was close! All I had to change was the Light Blue and the Blue/Black which probably doesn't actually make any difference. It certainly didn't fix my problem  :(

Back to the drawing board then. Any thoughts what may cause all the indicators to flash simultaneously? I have a spare switch I will try to see if that is the problem but I don't think so.

Thanks

Alan Hopla

I had a look at the switch fitted to my 83 GTV which is an 8 pin switch, I can't read the PIN numbers but starting at the gap and moving clockwise around the switch looking from the rear the wires are as follows;
White & Black
Red & Black
Red & Black jumpered to the previous pin
Light Blue
Red
Pink
Blue & Black
Centre pin - Black.

I think this is the same as you have.

I have had a look at the circuit diagram and think I know how this is supposed to work, but please take this with a grain of salt.

The Hazard switch has two modes of operation.
Mode 1. 4 way hazards running, switch button not depressed, (out).
Mode 2. Normal running for use with the indicators, switch button depressed, (in).

In mode 1, power is fed from fuse F3 which is always live to the hazard switch via the Red lead on pin 30. This is fed through the switch to the Red & Black lead, (doesn't matter which one as they are jumpered together), this lead feeds power to the Flasher can.
In mode 1, the Light Blue, Light Blue & Black, and White & Black are all connected together. The White & Black wire feeds 12V from the flasher can and passes it to the Light Blue and Light Blue & Black wires, (these feed the indicators). The White & Black wire also feeds the internal repeater lamp in the switch which is then earthed via the Black wire.
The flasher can then interrupts the 12V feed causing all the lights to flash.

In mode 2, power is switched via the ignition switch and fed via fuse F8 to the hazard switch via the Pink & White lead on pin 15. This is fed through the switch to the Red & Black lead, (again it doesn't matter which one as they are jumpered together), this lead feeds power to the Flasher can.
The flasher can then connects to the column indicator stalk centre pin. When the indicator stalk is moved to either the left or right position this lead connects to EITHER the Light Blue, OR the Light Blue & Black circuits to feed the indicators on one side of the car or the other.
Again the flasher can then interrupts the 12V feed causing all the lights to flash.

First a word of caution here, a lot of these leads are either always live, or sometimes live during this testing.
When not connected to the hazard switch you should tape them up with insulation tape to prevent shorting. Also if you pull the hazard switch out through the dash, do this with the battery disconnected to avoid shorts.

To test just the indicator circuit you should just need the Pink & White and 2x Red & Black wires connected to the switch. All others can be removed and insulated.
If the indicators then work it will probably be a short in the hazard switch.
If you still have the same problem of all four corners coming on, then it is some other wiring issue in the car. (I think) it should be due to a short (or an incorrect connection) between the Light Blue and Light Blue & Black circuits.
I measured this in my car at the leads at the Hazard switch. In Hazard mode there was ~0 Ohms. In Non-Hazard mode or when disconnected from the switch there was ~1 Ohms.
Not much difference, and I think this is due to an electrical path being available from the left circuit, through the indicator left bulbs to earth, then through the right indicator bulbs to the right circuit. If you remove all the bulbs from one side of the car I would expect this reading to go to open circuit.

Alan.
Alan Hopla
77' 116GTV
83' 116GTV TwinSpark
04' GT 3.2 V6, Stromboli Grey