Wheel Sizes for an Alfetta Sedan

Started by Two Dogs, December 13, 2012, 04:36:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Two Dogs

Hi all,

I am considering getting some "Performance Wheels/ Superlites"http://www.performancewheels.com.au/nav/ShowBigPic.asp?pic=C+SUPERLITE+15X7.jpg and was wondering if anyone has any experience out there with sizes.

I was thing 15 x 7 or 15 x 8, thoughts ?

Carl

Doug Gould

Go 16 inch. Its better & tyres are easier to get. +1 size is 205/50R16. From memory its a 6.5 or 7 inch rim. My car is running 205/55R16 tyres (left over from my 156) and they touch the front inner guards. So you probably need to play with offset to get 8 inch wheels / tyres to fit, but others will know better.
08 159 JTS
07 Brera
85 GTV6
72 Montreal
65 2600 Sprint
60 VW Beetle

Two Dogs

Another question if I may,

Would a set of 15x6.5 with an offset of + 15 work ?

Thanks

Storm_X

I have 15x6 front and 15x7 rear on my giulietta. The rims a summon b45s unsure of the offset. They fit a clear no problems, even with 1 inch spacers on the front the wheels just touch at full lock and then only hitting a bump and the same time (drive way). And with spacers on the rear it just touches the lip.

If you go any wider let me know because I want to fit 15x8s or wider on my track car.
"Alfa Romeo built to excite.. Some dream of driving the ideal.. I drive it"

Two Dogs

Found this info on another site(http://www.serpentautosport.com/HTML/Wheels.html);

Type 3.5 (4-lug) fits Alfetta GT, Sport Sedan 

Wheel Size    Bolt Pattern     Offset       Centerbore     Weight         Price 

15"x7"            4 x 98              38 mm          73.1 mm           16#            $195.00 (call for availability)

16"x7"            4 x 98              38 mm          73.1 mm           17.5#         $205.00 (call for availability)

So I have a bit more confidence to take Doug's advice and go 16", the centre bore dimension seems odd ?

I shall give Performance Wheels a call and see if they can do them. I believe they used to give club discounts, can anyone confirm ?

Carl

Sheldon McIntosh

Only my opinion, of course, but...

Alfettas can't go bigger than a 15, unless you want to look like a dickhead and have your car accelerate like a turd.  I've been wrong before though.

Just personally, I wouldn't even go bigger than a 15" on my 90s, both road and track.  Once I get about 250rwhp,  I might think about a 16".....

However, go as wide as possible young man, God knows it's difficult to get 15x7s, let alone 15x8s;  you'll always be able to sell them on.

Two Dogs

Thanks for the info, I was kind of wondering about that.

Two Dogs

OK, one more question !

Is anyone running 15 x 8 ? I'll also check with Performance Wheels but was hoping someone could tell me.

If no answer I'll order the 15 x 7

Thanks

Storm_X

15x8 is big for a road car. All depends on the offset aswell.

hammer

Two Dogs,

I had 15 x 7 on a 75 Twinspark and they looked @#$%ing horny. They are heavy wheels but cheap, good looking and the company is easy to deal with.

One of our Alfa Comp racers up here has 15 x 8 Superlites on a 105 with flared guards. He runs 225/45/15 semi slicks and they also look damned good.

As Sheldon alluded to the 16s will mess with your gearing, taking the edge off your acceleration.

Cheers,

Brent

Beatle

8" wide on a non-PS Alfetta road car will get tiring pretty quickly
Paul B
QLD

Past:
'79 GTV - Loyal 1st love
'76 GT - Track entry
'89 75TS - Saved
'76 Alfetta - Sacrificed
'83 GTV6 - NT bullet
'67 Duetto - Fun
'66 Super - Endearing
'92 164 - Stunning
'85 90 - Odd
'04 GT 3.2 Rosso/Tan - Glorious
'02 156 V6 Auto Rosso/Tan - Useful daily

MD

two dogs,

If appearance is your key criteria, you couldn't go past the Borbets on sale from the Forum:
http://www.alfaclubvic.org.au/forum/index.php?topic=10027.msg62020#new

These wheels are much more in keeping with body lines and period of the car. The PCD is correct.
Transaxle Alfas Haul More Arse.

Current Fleet
Alfetta GTV6 3.0
Alfetta GTV Twin Spark supercharged racer
75 1.8L supercharged racer

Past Fleet
Alfa GT 3.2V6
Alfetta GTV 2.0
Giulia Super 2.0
Berlina 2.0

Storm_X

7.5 will fit good. If you lower it to much you will have problems up front. You may need to get your guards rolled.

Two Dogs

OK, So I lied.

Having taken all advice in to consideration I am looking at 15 x 6.5's (7-8" would have made the steering to heavy for the wife). Front with an offset off 40 (10 less than the Camapnaturas 15x6) which will increase front track slightly and rear offset off 25 which will put the rear track wider by 20mm each side (for asthetics).

Now I understand that widening the rear track will increase mid corner grip at the rear wheels with some loss off initial turn in/less tendency to oversteer (so more initial push). I should also add at this point that I am fitting heavier torsion and sway bars shortly so expect the stiffer front bar to bring back some extra turn in.

Does anyone see any problems with this ?

Carl

Storm_X

Sounds good to me. I'm sure you will be happy once your finished.