Alfa Romeo 156 V6 2.5

Started by Italian, November 19, 2012, 06:24:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Italian

Hi,
I'm looking at buying an Alfa Romeo 156 2.5 V6 Auto and was wondering what I should look out for and whether anyone could share their ownership experience. Are there major differences in the facelifted models after 2003 that could mean improved reliablity? How reliable are they?
Thanks

frangutz

Hi,
I used to own a 2001 V6. Loved the car. It looked great.

Mine was very reliable mechanically - given it had 100K on the clock when I got it. The only issues were electrical. However I will qualify that by saying mine hadn't been kept in best condition by previous owner.

The various parts that the Engine Management System (from my experience) looks after is very heavily interwound. What do I mean by this? Well the ECU can think there are issues with the engine if things aren't running properly. It may then cause totally unrelated issues to appear. So I used to get the auto gearbox intermittently go into safe mode at one stage. Turned out that my thermostat/waterpump wasn't working properly, which when I realised and changed, made the safe mode issue disappear.

Also, sometimes the connectors in the engine bay may get condensation which can also cause some electrical faults (again, I found it reflected in the gearbox going into safe mode).

Both times the safe mode problem manifested itself under load (ie heavy acceleration, air con on etc). It didn't do it often but just enough times to make it annoying :-) It was frustrating, but I think i got used to it.... <hehehe>

Make sure you change your cam belts as recommended. Change the water pump and thermostat as well. The gearbox (auto) is one of the best you'll find - especially driving it as a conventional H Patter clutch-less manual! The rubbers on the suspension may also wear over time. Mine was lowered (way too low actually) so the suspension didn't work as it should.

One thing to check when purchasing a V6 at least. Operating temperature should be around 1/2 way (93 Deg I think). If the gauge is running down 1/4 or lower after driving the car for 3-4KM then you will probably need to change the thermostat. You'll also hear the fans click on / off when stationary if the temp is a little warm because of this.

I loved my V6. The power curve was kind of strange - peaked at approx 3000RPM, but nevertheless great fun to drive.

The facelift model has a different interior/exterior. The engine power curve is slightly different and it has more features. I think they also came out with 17" rubber as standard.

You'll enjoy it! I miss mine :-( Had it for 3 years and wish I had kept it. I'm kind of on the hunt for a late model one too.

Good luck on the hunt.

=F.
AROCA - SA Member
Former 156 V6 Owner.... now 147 Monza

alanm

Hi

I have owned a Series 1 156 V6 auto for 3 years now and it has proven to be an exceptionally reliable car.
It looks beautiful, drives very well and sounds superb.

Negatives? Air con is average at best (improved in series 3 cars?). Mine occasionally goes into safe mode – problem solved by switching off and restarting. Thats about it. Apart from scheduled services, we have spent a cent on any mechanical or electrical failures.

Highly recommended!

Al
Present
1987 75 TS Rosso
2001 GTV V6 Nero
2001 156 V6 Monza Rosso
Past
1986 GTV6 Grand Prix
1988 33

Italian

Thanks a lot for the feedback and sharing your knowledge.

wankski

the models are mechanically identical... same v6 engine, same 4sp gearbox which is actually a 4sp aisin japanese box, which is fairly common and reliable (toyota,lexus etc)...

the engine is alfa's finest and very long lived. nitrided crank, the bottom end hardly ever goes wrong... valve train is also solid.... only real internal issue you can expect is head gasket, which is not so major as far as these things go...

the only downside is maintenance is intensive, cambelt kit including tensioners and idlers must be changed. best practice is every 3 yrs. WP ought be changed at this point with the metal impellor version. OEM plastic impellor is NLA. once swapped, should be a lifer.

thermo can go bad as described above, but it's a dead easy $30 part to swap.

gearbox just needs fresh ATF and that's it. no diff issues with the auto.

excellent car.

if you need anyone to look at an example you are keen on and check it out with diag, I can possibly help on weekends..

Adsy76

I have a manual one for sale ATM..

Italian

Thanks for the information Wankski.

@Adsy76. Nice Alfa, however I'm looking at the Auto Gearbox. Good luck with your sale.

Palermo TI

Hi. I have a 2005 156 2.5 V6 auto for sale if your interested. Good condition with all service history:)
Alfa spider Lusso 2004
Giulitta Distintive
Live the Dream