1981 GTV fuel tank

Started by kartone, October 15, 2012, 12:03:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kartone

Tried repairing the original metal fuel tank twice (hairline crack on crease) but due to tank flexing the repair patch keeps cracking.
Is a plastic replacement available and where from ? Thanks.   
82 GTV6 split-dash
80 Alfetta GTV

colcol

I have no idea, but what about trying one off a 75 or 90, i went thru the same rubbish with my 1st car, rusty fuel tank, cracks, leaks and rust getting into the fuel lines and carbs, found out the tanks for that model 6 years later had a plastic tank, got one and fitted it, never any trouble again, highly reccomended, if you can't get one for an Alfa later model, look for a plastic tank from another make, metal tanks are a pain, thats why they no longer use them, [ the one on my 28 year old 33 has never given any trouble...yet], Colin.
1974 VW Passat [ist car] 1984 Alfa 33TI [daily driver] 2002 Alfa 156 JTS [daily driver]

kartone

Thanks for the assistance Colin.
Do you know which Alfa models with plastic tanks would have tanks that fit the 1980 GTV ? 
82 GTV6 split-dash
80 Alfetta GTV

four90s

I don't think you'll have any luck with the 75/90 tanks.

AFAIK all the V6 cars had the tank on the opposite side to the GTVs, so filler inlet etc., will be all wrong and I think they are a different shape as well.
(The sedan ones have a sort of triangular shape and the GTVs are squarer)

Also the later 75TS and 3.0 litre cars had the tank behind the rear seats, I think. Never had one of either, so I can't confirm that, but there was a thread on here a few months ago about it.

The other thing is I don't think any of those tanks were plastic. Certainly the ones I have seen were all metal. I have experience of either ongoing ownership, or short term dismantling type ownership of three 90s ('84-'86), three 90 Supers ('85-'87) and one 75 Auto, '87.

Best solution I've seen was to get a drop section or swirl pot type of arrangement installed in the bottom of the tank where it leaks. There's been a few done like that over here. I had one on a GTV I wrecked, but didn't notice it and gave the shell to another Club member who took it out and passed it onto another member here, who had the leak problem.

Any reasonably competent radiator shop that does custom work should be able to do that.

Steve
Adelaide
Four90s
Too many others to list
(33 Alfas and some other things since 1979)

colcol

I have found that the problem with welding petrol tanks is they explode!, but when you weld or solder them, the flux that you use, causes the tank to rust, you can get an epoxy made for sealing fuel tanks, pour it in and swirl it about over the repair, and wait for it to dry, if you are going to weld the tank yourself, fill it with water to expel all the fumes, that will cause the fumes to ignite, if i had the choice of a custom steel tank or plastic tank, i would take the plastic one, as it will never rust, an alloy one would be more than the car is worth, Colin.
1974 VW Passat [ist car] 1984 Alfa 33TI [daily driver] 2002 Alfa 156 JTS [daily driver]

kartone

epoxy it is. will research what is available.
82 GTV6 split-dash
80 Alfetta GTV

kartone

82 GTV6 split-dash
80 Alfetta GTV

colcol

Any leaks i always repair with a big hot soldering iron, and it works great, it you oxy weld it, it gets too hot and distorts, and the flame causes it to explode with all the petrol fumes, and any coating on the tank, to prevent rust falls of and clogs the fuel lines and carby jets, and then the tank starts to rust, Red-Kote is used by the restorers for cars that are not driven a lot, as seen on channel 31 'Classic Restos', Colin.

festy

Arrghhh I was just changing the gearbox oil in my alfetta and noticed an oily patch on the bottom of the fuel tank - I cleaned it up and discovered a small hairline crack where I scraped and dented the tank on a trailer recently :(

I've repaired a few bike tanks by soldering and/or tig welding in the past, but have just put a "Quick Steel" epoxy patch on this one for now.
I'll keep an eye on it and if it starts weeping again that might be a good excuse to replace with a fuel cell :D
I always carry a stick of Quick Steel in my toolbox for such emergencies - I've used it to patch a radiator with great results but haven't tried it on a fuel tank before.
It's already cured and no sign of leaking so looking promising...