Colin Bond and Alan Jones Group A Alfa Romeo GTV6

Started by Alfpa Repairs, April 21, 2006, 08:08:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Alfpa Repairs

Hello everyone,

This is my dads factory Alfa Romeo GTV6 from Group A.

I have also attached a picutre of me driving my formula ford at the Sandown 500 last year.

Thanks,

Trent Harrison
Monza Motors, (03) 9720 4442
Alfpa Repairs, (03) 9729 9946
4 Malvern Street Bayswater, VIC, 3153

Justin

hey Trent
can you please tell us a bit about the IGNIS GTV6
thanks Justin

vin sharp

Quote from: Justin on April 25, 2006, 12:43:35 PM
hey Trent
can you please tell us a bit about the IGNIS GTV6
thanks Justin

Hi Justin.
I saw you asked about the Ignis GTV6. I have a couple of spare posters of it, if you want one just remind me next time you see me.
The car itself was built by John Gray, Nigel Bolling and Mick Mitchell at Colin Bonds workshop in Sydney when Bond ran the Alfa Group A team.
It was a new body shell prepared by the team to replace their original left hand drive car which was written-off in a crash at Surfers Paradise raceway. Some of the unbroken mechanicals were swapped over from the crashed car, except those for LH drive, as this one was a RH drive shell. I believe the car still has the original LH drive log book.
It currently has a 3.3lt engine which I engineered for Hugh in about 1991. I bored out special liners and machined pistons of about 98.5mm with a 3lt crankshaft (72.5mm). It has Carrillo rods to cope with the bigger pistons. In the heads, I welded up the sparkplug holes and fitted smaller, offset 10mm plugs so that 51mm inlet valves would fit, stock valve is 44mm. It runs about 12:1 compression  and GpA cams. 
I also had to hand-make the big-bore extractors on the car itself, as the fit is so tight it couldn't be done on a jig.
The engine is a bit restricted on power because it runs the original style 2.5 plenum and intake runners. This probably costs 50 HP but is necessary in order to look historically correct. It is probably about 300HP with excellent torque, enough to give the diff pinion/crownwheel a seriously hard time, I set-up a new one for Hugh every year or so,depending on how much work the car has done.
It also has the AP Racing "balanced braking" system of twin small 2 spot calipers instead one large 4 spot caliper on the front, and alloy lower A arms. These are quite rare and sought after. I went to Sydney and bought all the spare mechanicals and  engine parts from Bond when they sold the GTV6. Amongst that was several broken calipers and alloy A arms from crashes......unfortunately, only rare scrap.
It is the last surviving car from Bond's Alfa team as the other two were both written off in crashes.
See ya, Vin.