GTV6 as first car?

Started by spotty_1, December 14, 2007, 04:21:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

spotty_1

Hi all,

I'm thinking about getting a GTV6 as a first car and I just want to get a bit of information about them. Are there certain things too look out for when buying one?
Are they a realistic first car? Or are they incredibly expensive to maintain? I'm reasonably mechanically minded so I should be able to do a most minor things myself.
Any information is greatly appreciated.

Many Thanks,
Nate

shane wescott

Hi Mate

I have had one of these for only month or so and love it.

From what I can gather the only reason why they may be more expensive to maintain is that they have 6 cylinders than 4, but from what I have been told the golden rules seem to be:

1. Use good quality fuel, don't put cheap crap in them

2. Regular maintenance with someone who knows what they are doing

3. Treat the car with respect and enjoy it

As far as buying one, check for rust, and get it checked out by an Alfa mechanic before you fall in love with it and just buy it anyway :-)

Can I just also say that I have found this car more addictive than any other Alfa I have owned. I recently went away for two weeks and seriously missed the car. I just had to give it a good run around the Ring Road and over the Westgate and then a lap of the Grand Prix track, within an hour of getting home - yes I know i need help:-)

Catch ya

Shane
Current Cars:

No Alfa's :-(

Previous Cars:
1991 White 164
86 White GTV6 Zender Body Kit
90 Red 75 TS
98 Blue GTV 2.0
85 Red 33 1.5 TI
85 Red 33 1.7 Carby
83 Silver 33 1.5 GCL
70 Blue Berlina 1750
70 White Berlina 1750

70 White Berlina 1750 (my first)

Current Bikes:

2002 Yellow Ducati ST2 944

Alfalfa

Some good advice there. Mainly the point about getting it checked out before you buy. DO IT!!  I didn't and payed the price. Quite literally too, check my other posts for all the details but I've just finished rebuilding my engine. After I already changed it once. And spent quite a lot getting it up to scratch. So make sure you get it checked out by someone who knows what they're doing, any of the sponsors will probably be good but I go to Michael at Ital Motors. You can tell he'll do a good job, I've never seen someone with such a passion for cars let alone Alfas. He loves the things and gets just as much satisfaction if you appreciate them too. His work is top notch.

Mine's a 4 cylinder and 99% of the time its more than enough. The pure enjoyment of driving it is enough to forget you don't have a v6. Also for a first car, the 4 is a lot easier. Most parts on the v6 (from what I've been told) are roughly double in price compared to the 4. I just spent $6500 rebuilding my engine. I assure you it'd be a lot more for a 6. Not to mention the substantially larger fuel tanks (more $$$ to fill up) and increased consumption. I will get a v6...but only when I can afford to own and maintain it properly. My Alfa is my second car and I'm just able to manage. Keep in mind I'm only 19.

The sound of the 4 cylinder is different to the 6, but it is still fantastically brilliant. My mate has a Honda and he can't believe how good it sounds for a 4 cylinder, but...he does drive a Honda so it's to be expected! Handling is brilliant; put simply, you don't want to get out of it.

Pros: You'll have just as much fun in a 4 cylinder, save urself a good 5 grand (for a good one) in buying it, lower fuel bills, cheaper parts
Cons: no bonnet bulge (if you care about those things), no v6 sound

I've also been told that the 4's handle better because of the lighter 4 cylinder..I've not been in a v6 to justify this but I can tell you, mine handles better than any other car I've been in....except for that Lamborghini Gallardo Spyder but thats to be expected!
In my opinion the 4's also have a better interior, mine has a decent serve of wood and leather as opposed to black plastic.

The choice is yours; either way you'll have a blast and definetly catch the Alfa bug. I know I have.

Good Luck
Current:
2009 Ford Focus XR5T
1982 Alfetta GTV 2.0 (out to stud)

Previous:
1986 Nissan Pintara Shaggin Wagon

Sheldon McIntosh

Yes a V6 would no doubt be more expensive to rebuild, but I can assure you that no-one would bother when you can get a 2.5 V6 for basically a pound of grapes and a six-pack.  In fact if anyone wants one free let me know asap before it goes to the scrap-metal yard before the New Year (comes free with a 90 bodyshell).

I've also been assured that the 4 handles far better than the 6. 

The 6 sounds absolutely brilliant, which is a big part of an enjoyable road drive I find.  Make sure you have concrete evidence when the timing belt was changed last on the 6, and if in ANY doubt, get it done as soon as possible.  In my experience, if this is done, and the engine given regular oil changes, they are basically bulletproof.  Mine's done 263,000km and needs new rings in cylinder 5 (blows a bit of smoke) but she just refuses to let go, even after two years of track days. 

I have the aforementioned spare engine, but am just gonna thrash it till she blows and then get a 3 litre.  If she ever blows up and I can't source a 3 litre, a 2.5 V6 can be found very easily and cheaply.  I haven't been able to give away my spare one, and I have no space to store it anymore.  Someone on ebay has been advertising one on ebay for months.  The price just keeps getting lower and lower.........

I can't comment on reliability of a GTV6, but I have a 90 which has basically the same mechanicals.  I've never had a problem in 3 years of ownership.  I get the impression that Alfa engineered them really well, and skimped on things like trim, plastics, and the interior.

Good Luck Spotty_1, get a good one and you won't be disappointed.

PS  Optimus Prime, you know for $6500 you could have installed a twin-spark?  wouldn't be original, but...........Sell the engine to a Group S tragic, and get a TS.  I know of one for $500, no ancillaries.

AGM155

Would it be possible at all to resurrect the 90 Sheldon? Parents would kill me but I'd love a project car...

Spotty, one thing I've been advising people I know who want a V6 for their first car is to factor in the biggest hidden cost - petrol. My 166 has drinks a lot - I always put it to them whether they can afford to run the motor.

Otherwise, everyone I know with a GTV6 seems to love them.

Scott Farquharson

Quote from: Sheldon Mcintosh on December 20, 2007, 07:35:10 PM
PS  Optimus Prime, you know for $6500 you could have installed a twin-spark?  wouldn't be original, but...........Sell the engine to a Group S tragic, and get a TS.  I know of one for $500, no ancillaries.
What's this about a "Group S tragic"?
Scott Farquharson
Group A Dulux Alfetta GTV6
Group S Alfetta GTV
Alfetta GT (GTAM?)

Sheldon McIntosh

Quote from: Andrew Marshall on December 20, 2007, 10:02:12 PM
Would it be possible at all to resurrect the 90 Sheldon? Parents would kill me but I'd love a project car...

No chance.

Quote from: Scott Farquharson on December 20, 2007, 11:12:09 PM

I didn't mention any names, funny you're the first to move......

You know I'm just jealous anyway.  Why no PI mate?

AR116

Hey Optimus Prime,

What on earth did you get for your $6500 engine rebuild for your gtv? I hope they put in some gold plated pistons and sleeves. LOL LOL LOL.
Seriously that sounds a bit steep for a standard engine rebuild so I hope for that price you did some performance work. Also who did the work on the car??

Scott Farquharson

Quote from: Sheldon Mcintosh on December 21, 2007, 07:05:49 AM
Quote from: Andrew Marshall on December 20, 2007, 10:02:12 PM

No chance.

Quote from: Scott Farquharson on December 20, 2007, 11:12:09 PM

I didn't mention any names, funny you're the first to move......

You know I'm just jealous anyway.  Why no PI mate?

Had a few other issues to deal with....looks like it was fun.....I am so wanting to get on the track...
Scott Farquharson
Group A Dulux Alfetta GTV6
Group S Alfetta GTV
Alfetta GT (GTAM?)

Alfalfa

Quote from: Angelo on January 15, 2008, 09:33:25 PM
Hey Optimus Prime,

What on earth did you get for your $6500 engine rebuild for your gtv? I hope they put in some gold plated pistons and sleeves. LOL LOL LOL.
Seriously that sounds a bit steep for a standard engine rebuild so I hope for that price you did some performance work. Also who did the work on the car??

yeah off the top of my head got performance inlet cam, different composition pistons, high performance sleeves. There's a couple other things I can't remember now. Michael at Ital Motors did the job, brilliant mechanic and gave me a 2 year warranty on the job. The difference it's made is incredible, especially the sound. No idea how he got it sounding the way it does, compared to what it was before. wow. For me, it was well worth it.
Current:
2009 Ford Focus XR5T
1982 Alfetta GTV 2.0 (out to stud)

Previous:
1986 Nissan Pintara Shaggin Wagon