decent workshop recommendation

Started by martym00se72, September 26, 2012, 05:17:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

martym00se72

Hi Folks,
can anyone recommend a decent workshop in the (north east preferably) - I have been replacing ball joints and the upper ball joint on the drivers side has decided to be a right prick and the old ball joint shaft has decided to not move one iota despite penetrant, lubricant, heat, leverage and blunt force trauma. I have destroyed a set of gear pullers trying to get it. I have cut it off with a grinder so that I can get it out so need to take the front hub section to wherever to get it sorted. Any advice/suggestions gratefully accepted as I want her back on the road now we are getting some good weather! :)
Cheers
Marty
'83 GTV6 - 3.0 is in! Ohhh yeah!
'99 156 T-spark - Formula 98 ready!

What do people do with their old 2.5...?

BradGTV

Lloyd clonan at Start in Salisbury , his details are on google of maybe on as club website.
79 gtv sr20, 83 gtv, 83 gtv6 3.0, 75 ts x 3, 85 gtv, 76 gt, 91 164, Subey L Series, S13 silvia, Bmw e30 318i, VT SS 6spd

martym00se72

Thanks Brad - had forgotten Lloyd was out this way - stupid really coz I got the car up on his hoist to check it out before I bought it...

BradGTV

no worries, hows the car going (beside ball joint issues) ? 3,0 in yet?
79 gtv sr20, 83 gtv, 83 gtv6 3.0, 75 ts x 3, 85 gtv, 76 gt, 91 164, Subey L Series, S13 silvia, Bmw e30 318i, VT SS 6spd

gtv19

Dont forget, another AROCA SA Life Member Petr Axford, at Eurtosport. See you Magazine and website.
current,
alfa 3.2gt (q2)
159 2.4 Diesel Ti sportwagon
147 twinspark manual
past

105 spider (modified)
alfetta gtv twin spark
156 Ti selespeed x2
1.8gt`s 3 of
Alfetta sedan (sprint car)
105 series spiders(2)

martym00se72

Done both lower, one upper (other one pending) ball joints and both tie rod ends and front brake hoses with braided lines (jeez did I need them - more than I realised!!  :o).

Sadly the 3.0 I got was not as advertised and is not the 'plug n play' I had hoped for. Requires full strip down - and I am going to learn a lot about engines...  ;D  I have a lot to learn - many a dumb question to follow...

Thankfully the 2.5 is OK condition and I got her back on the road for a spin over the weekend. She was off the road for maybe 6 weeks - seemed like forever. When I do get to swapping the engines (whenever that may be!) it will likely take me longer than that even so will get a bit of "cabin fever". I think I gave my fiancee a scare when I stuck the welly in unexpectedly - with the excuse I was just clearing the cobwebs!!  ;D ;D

martym00se72

And as for the work shop - saw Lloyd - he had a bigger hammer than me and another paid of hands (mine) - made light work of it. Felt like a gumby for having to take it to him for that, but hey - a bit of humble pie gets the job done sometimes...