Started by 33collector, September 23, 2012, 01:41:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

33collector

:)

colcol

These cars when sold new in 1992, were $38,000, not many sold, about 130?, if you need a bonnet, try an Alfa Romeo wrecker or there is usually one being wrecked on the Alfa 33 EBAY site, welcome to the forum 33owner, these cars are a lot of fun and have their own personality, which is lacking in the newer cars, by the time this car was made in 1992, the 33 had been in production for 9 years, and Alfa had managed to get rid of most of the bugs, or at least given them a good whack on the head with a thong, Fiat had owned Alfa for 6 years and was spending some money on them, something that Alfa Romeo lacked before the takeover in 1986, and they had put in a Galvanising line at the production line at Pomiliarno De Arco, where they built the 33, rust is not an enourmous problem on the later 33, as it was in the Sud and early 33's, Colin.
1974 VW Passat [ist car] 1984 Alfa 33TI [daily driver] 2002 Alfa 156 JTS [daily driver]

John Hanslow

Welcome.

It's great to see more of the older 900 series cars getting some TLC.

Look forward to seeing it on a few club events. 

We have a few shows coming up like the outside club display at Motorclassica, Lyon St Italian festa and our annual Concorso.  The number of 33's there has increased over the years so your car will be in good company.

Cheers
Now:
2011 Giulietta QV

Previously:
1989 164 3.0  V6
2002 156 Twin Spark Sports Edition
2002 147 Twin Spark
2002 916 Spider Twin Spark
1990 Alfa 75 Potenziata

tony8028

i love these cars....

i keep hearing that only a small amount of P4 33s made it into Oz but every time i see a 16V 33 for sale, its often a P4....

One thing i am not a fan of the the P4 rims....i think the standard 16V 33 rims look nicer, with the little holes etc...

And I guess its a given that the a/c didnt do much other than blow warm air?

Still, I'd love to own one...for me the last of the real Alfas were the 33, 90, 75 and to a lesser extent, the 164.

(past cars)
1988 Alfa 33 ti
1990 Alfa 33 ie
1992 Alfa 75 TS
1988 Alfa 75 TS
1990 Alfa 164
Currently driving 2004 147 Manual

colcol

The airconditioner in the 33's are horrible to terrible to acceptable, the Italian ones made by Autoclima are good as they blow out of the 5 vents, the local ones that were installed in Australia, only blew out of the centre vents, bloody awefull, and now you can't get the proper R12 refrigerent gas they were meant to have, so the gas used is not as good, as it doesn't contain ozone depleting chemicals, Colin.
1974 VW Passat [ist car] 1984 Alfa 33TI [daily driver] 2002 Alfa 156 JTS [daily driver]

John Hanslow

Now:
2011 Giulietta QV

Previously:
1989 164 3.0  V6
2002 156 Twin Spark Sports Edition
2002 147 Twin Spark
2002 916 Spider Twin Spark
1990 Alfa 75 Potenziata

colcol

There were about 28-38 P4's imported by the old Alfa Romeo in Beuchamp Rd, Matraville?, up until 1992, in 1997 ATECO started importing Alfa Romeo again, ATECO are not responsible for spares for the old cars, the 2 wheel drive 16 valves, i think there were about 130 brought in?, some over the years were privately imported, Colin.

lombardi

COLCOL mentions Matraville were the ALFA ROMEO imports were based, for people that dont know sydney,this suburb is right next to sydney airport and port botany which consequently has a highway linking Port botany to the airport, now i remember in the 80's,used to often see these little brand new 33s being driven in anger on this stretch of road,guess they were testing them before going out to the respective dealerships,these cars i assume were straight off the ships. I remember gloating over these beaut cars but could not afford one at that time,they were quite expensive then and marketed as a prestigious vehicle. A lot of people involved with Alfa then are still active today, comes to mind Tony who was one of the main worskshop guys now resides at Franks pit stop motors at Ashfield, Joe toro who became involved in Ateco, not forgetting Vince Giannetto re AUTOMODA ,used to be the service manager for FRANK CROTT motors on paramatta road,leichardt. I tell you,they were the golden years, you would drive down norton street ie, italian area of sydney, streets would be full of 33s,gtvs,75s,suds and of course in later years my Fiat regatta 100sie, good memories, there was something about that era and the cars, so much spunk in a small package, have been hooked since and have owned many Alfa's ,including from that era,never looked back and Alfa will be with me forever, could say a lifestyle. Thank u COL for raising the memories. Ciao
forza lazio,viva l'alfa

Current Alfa=

Giulietta 2015 QV manual Ghiaccio

1974 Spider series 2 ,carabinieri blu

Previous Alfas=

33x4 1985 wagon
33 ti 1985
156 sportswagon manual red
Alfetta sportiva 1981 red
166 silver 1999

colcol

Can you imagine testing 33's in anger straight off the boat tearing up public roads?, no not me either, see on youtube an add for the 33 and it is sliding round a wet road doing handbrake stops!, in those days Alfa Romeo's were quite expensive and like cars of 25 years ago, would hold their used values, so people like me would have to wait a few years before getting one, although 33's and Suds were not too bad, a former Alfa Romeo dealer told me once, that 33's kept him going in the 80's & 90's, and the owners are still driving them,[ like me! ], and he is still servicing them, when the Beuchamp Rd. mob turned it up, they had a fire sale off all their stock, and had previously told the dealers that they were in for the long haul, and the dealers bought stock and spare parts and invested big in servicing departments, only for it to all fall in a heap in 1992, it didn't affect me much, have not set foot at an Alfa spare parts outlet for 20 years, still can get 33 bits, upset a lot of people when they pulled up stumps.... and not only Alfa owners, Colin.