Anyone painting cars at home for cash?

Started by DomenicC1, September 20, 2012, 10:28:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DomenicC1

Looks like a great job...you can certainly see the difference! I've never taken much notice of the Guiletta's of this era but after seeing yours I'm becoming a fan!
Current: 83 Alfetta GTV 2.0 (Red)

Past: 82 Alfetta GTV 2.0 (Red)
      : 87 Alfa 75 V6 2.5 (Silver)

Storm_X

Quote from: DomenicC1 on October 06, 2012, 09:03:39 PM
Looks like a great job...you can certainly see the difference! I've never taken much notice of the Guiletta's of this era but after seeing yours I'm becoming a fan!

Yea I've owned 3 Giulietta's since I was 16 years old. I never see any around anymore but I see alot of GTVs and 75s around
"Alfa Romeo built to excite.. Some dream of driving the ideal.. I drive it"

Cool Jesus

Storm, how many hours/days did it take?
How or what do you do to treat your plastics?

Nice work too, by the way. My family don't understand how disappointed I am at just washing and chamying the black 159. Its always a battle of competing priorities with finding the time to detail the car. They can,t understand how much it kills me to see those swirls and scratches, but it looks beautiful they say, arrrgh.

Do you use the paint thickness gauge to make sure your not going to hard on it? How much are they?
Present:
* '76 Alfetta GTAm 2.0 (project)
* '03 147 2.0 TS
*'12 159 Ti 1750 TBi
===================
Past:
* '10 159 2.2 JTS
* '89 164 3.0
* '98 Spider 2.0 TS

Storm_X

Just doing my front grill, front bumper, side skirts and rear bumper took around 3 whole weekends, friday after work, all day satursay and all day sunday. then the bottom of the doors took me just one weekend, I am still yet to paint my trims on the door between the the red and the silver with the black strip.
I striped all the plastic back to raw and sanded it flat, I used all 2k plastic materials eg primers etc, I also used the flexi additive in the primers  and in the clear.

oz3litre

Quote from: Storm_X on October 08, 2012, 05:34:10 AM
Just doing my front grill, front bumper, side skirts and rear bumper took around 3 whole weekends, friday after work, all day satursay and all day sunday. then the bottom of the doors took me just one weekend, I am still yet to paint my trims on the door between the the red and the silver with the black strip.
I striped all the plastic back to raw and sanded it flat, I used all 2k plastic materials eg primers etc, I also used the flexi additive in the primers  and in the clear.
It looks very pretty. Did you use a spray booth?
2010 159 ti TBI. Red. Wife's daily driver.
2013 Giulietta Sportiva 1.4 MA. Anthracite Metalic  My daily driver.
2009 Mito Sport 1.4 TBI. Red. Daughter's daily driver.
1999 GTV V6. Black. Son's daily driver.

Storm_X

I used the spray booth at work for some of it , the other half was done at home. Booth is good because of a heater but I can do with out it.

Storm_X