Anyone painting cars at home for cash?

Started by DomenicC1, September 20, 2012, 10:28:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DomenicC1

Was just wandering if anyone spray paints cars at home for a living or just to make some extra cash on the side...don't worry I won't tell anyone  ;D I'm getting stupid quotes from crash shops which I could put a deposit on a house with! I've got an 83 Alfetta GTV that needs painting which is rust free. If anybody know's anyone they can put me in contact with or you are interested yourself send me a PM...many thanks!
Regards
Domenic
Current: 83 Alfetta GTV 2.0 (Red)

Past: 82 Alfetta GTV 2.0 (Red)
      : 87 Alfa 75 V6 2.5 (Silver)

VeeSix

They are too used to just plain ripping the insurance companies off so can not handle to give someone a fair price for a non-insurance job, it is the same everywhere now, even if you know someone it is hard to get a fair price, the only way out is too resparay your own cars, otherwise it comes down to spray job versus do i just buy another Alfa Romeo and keep this one for parts? spray job $3000.00 another decent 75 $3000.00  :)
1985 Alfa Romeo GTV6 V6 2.5 12V 
1986 Alfa Romeo 90 V6 2.5 12V
1990 Alfa Romeo 75 V6 3.0 12V Potenziata
1990 Alfa Romeo 164 V6 3.0 12V Zender
1991 Alfa Romeo 164 V6 3.0 12V QV
1992 Alfa Romeo 164 V6 3.0 12V QV

Cool Jesus

Present:
* '76 Alfetta GTAm 2.0 (project)
* '03 147 2.0 TS
*'12 159 Ti 1750 TBi
===================
Past:
* '10 159 2.2 JTS
* '89 164 3.0
* '98 Spider 2.0 TS

scott.venables

When you went in to get the quote were you explicit that it wasn't an insurance job? Like the others have said, their insurance quotes are exorbitant because the insurance companies beat them down on price.

What would you consider a reasonable quote to come in at? You can also save some money by removing all the external trim yourself

Storm_X

"Alfa Romeo built to excite.. Some dream of driving the ideal.. I drive it"

colcol

If anyone is painting cars at home, then they would be spraying with Acrylic Laquer, that is dried by the evaporation of thinners, if you want a 2 pack paint job, then they would need a low bake oven in their shed, not impossible, but unlikely, you could paint individual panels at home repairing rust and dents, by using heat lamps to set of the 2 pack, but not a complete respray, getting harder to get a good spray painter, as the wages are rubbish, not to mention health concerns, ask them for a quote, with you removing all the trim and rubbing down all the paintwork, or go do a spray painters course at a local TAFE, and hire a spray booth for the weekend, Colin.
1974 VW Passat [ist car] 1984 Alfa 33TI [daily driver] 2002 Alfa 156 JTS [daily driver]

DomenicC1

Hi guys,
Thanks for the info! Panel shops are charging unrealistic prices these days no matter how much prep work you do yourself, they don't seem to reduce the price too much if you strip it yourself or not!
Colin, not a bad idea doing a TAFE course but don't have the time at the moment as already studying 3 courses simulatneously and don't have the facilities to spray paint but hiring a booth could be an option. Didn't know you could do that!
Cheers
Domenic
Current: 83 Alfetta GTV 2.0 (Red)

Past: 82 Alfetta GTV 2.0 (Red)
      : 87 Alfa 75 V6 2.5 (Silver)

colcol

You can do bodywork, spray painting, restoration courses at TAFE, although they are quite expensive, would be a good thing to do if you had time, the Do It Yourself spray booths used to be advertised in the local paper, and were run by paint supply companys and had a advisor on hand, don't know if its still going, always a few weeks wait to get in, Colin.
1974 VW Passat [ist car] 1984 Alfa 33TI [daily driver] 2002 Alfa 156 JTS [daily driver]

BradGTV

a guy on gumtree sprays cars from home in salisbury for about $1000-$2000 i think, might be worth a shot?

my dad isnt a painter but has painted many cars before. recently ive been learning so one day i can do it myself (luckly my uncle has a spray booth). its not too hard, the tafe course is a good suggestion, deffinatly be worth it...

79 gtv sr20, 83 gtv, 83 gtv6 3.0, 75 ts x 3, 85 gtv, 76 gt, 91 164, Subey L Series, S13 silvia, Bmw e30 318i, VT SS 6spd

Storm_X

Quote from: BradGTV on September 24, 2012, 06:43:06 AM
a guy on gumtree sprays cars from home in salisbury for about $1000-$2000 i think, might be worth a shot?

my dad isnt a painter but has painted many cars before. recently ive been learning so one day i can do it myself (luckly my uncle has a spray booth). its not too hard, the tafe course is a good suggestion, deffinatly be worth it...

Hope that's not the guy who painted my old lancer. Some one smashed into my girlfriends old lancer I bought off her an the guy said his mate was a painter and he payed him to do the job all ready so I took it down there and there was hell angles members around. U still took it there but it was the shitest job I have ever seen in my life, I think they sanded it with 180 it was that bad.

BradGTV

could be, dunno, add sounds legit, couple pictures of cars hes done...
what he charge for the job?
79 gtv sr20, 83 gtv, 83 gtv6 3.0, 75 ts x 3, 85 gtv, 76 gt, 91 164, Subey L Series, S13 silvia, Bmw e30 318i, VT SS 6spd

colcol

Just remember,you only get what you pay for, $1000-$2000, for a paint job, how bad can it be, a bad paint job is like a scratch, dent, paint chip or mismatch, you will notice everytime you look at the car, Colin.

Storm_X

Here are some photos of before and after my own paint job of doing the two tone on my Giulietta, sorry but this is the only recent photos i have at the moment.

BEFORE

Storm_X

BEFORE