alfa 33 16v troubles cranking.

Started by 33racer, August 21, 2012, 11:19:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

33racer

Hi guys

I've just rebuilt my 16v motor for my 33 and no that i have put it back in the car its having trouble cranking over and after a few tries the battery becomes dead even with a big truck battery or jumping from a running car.

I'm pretty sure its wired up correctly as its the same as my other one but I'm out of ideas way its not working..

Any help will be much appreciated

Regards
Steve

colcol

Make sure your ignition timing is right, if its not sparking, she won't be firing, make sure the spark plugs are firing, even if the timing is way out, it will still give a kick, when the spark ignites the petrol, also make sure the starter motor is kicking over fast enough, if it cranks too slowly, it won't be building up compression, after cranking, [and not starting], check plugs for the smell of petrol, you may have a dud starter motor, if its the same as the 8 valves, and i think they are, try another starter motor, i bought one from a wrecker for $35, worked a treat, Colin.
1974 VW Passat [ist car] 1984 Alfa 33TI [daily driver] 2002 Alfa 156 JTS [daily driver]

33racer

ive got plenty of starters so ill give changing them over ago.. if go fuel and spark its just not turning over fast enough. and it also seems to drain the battery to quickly when trying to crank it.

colcol

I had a similar drama, mine would start cold, but not hot, usually at a shopping centre, and i initially blamed the ignition, [Magnetti Marrelli], as you would, but i noticed it was cranking slow, so i changed the starter motor for another one, and bingo starts hot and cold, starter motor was built from the remains of 2 blown up starters, no one to blame but myself, also your starter may have a short circuit that is draining battery, try another starter and see how you go, in my 33, starter is easy to change, sits at the top of the motor, when you take off the 2 long bolts, slide them off, the starter motor, before you slide the starter out, Colin.
1974 VW Passat [ist car] 1984 Alfa 33TI [daily driver] 2002 Alfa 156 JTS [daily driver]