Roof rust question

Started by poohbah, November 22, 2013, 07:48:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

poohbah

Folks, have just spotted two little rust bubbles (small - less than 5mm across) on the rear-facing lip of the roof panel on my 156 - on the vertical edge facing towards the rear windscreen.

They don't appear to extend to  the skyward facing joint that runs parallel to the top of the rear screen.

My question  - is this an area particularly prone to rust on the 156, and is it likely that it actually originates from the actual join? In which case, is it likely that I will need to pull out the seal that sits between the main windscreen seal and the roof panel?

Alternatively, if I just scrape and fix the visible rust, do you think I risk it spreading along the edge where it can't be seen?

I'm quite prepared to have a crack at minor surface rust repairs, but anything more complicated and I would want to leave to a professional.
Now:    2002 156 GTA
            1981 GTV
Before: 1999 156 V6 Q-auto
            2001 156 V6 (sadly cremated)

ANG156

Hi,

Whats happened is that your rear screen was probably removed at some point. Since the rear screen is bonded, you need to use a blade to cut it first then pull out the window. When it was removed the paint was probably scratched down to the metal and the installer did not apply a coating other than the new sealant. Now water has got in and is causing the rust. I've removed my rear screen and re-installed it with no issues in 4 years. I'd say it was a poor installation not caused by the factory but by a third party at some point.