Driving at high revs for engine life.

Started by Bellbird, July 22, 2012, 09:43:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Craig_m67

The green clover leaf has special meaning for an Alfa Romeo.  It's always been associated with performance models (like Veloce).  I've seen gold clover leafs for hi-spec trim (Lusso). Alfa seems to go in cycles using Cloverleafs, Veloce or Ti (when it's both). I honestly dont know the why's, it's just what I've noticed/read over the decades. Somebody adenoidal will be along in a moment to clarify I'm sure  ;D

Pretty sure Monza was an Australian made up name for a Veloce with some nice trim (early Ti?)
GTA or GTAm are something very special yet again.

Wikipedia has more info (and if right about the white triangle, then I learnt something tonight)  ;D

Quadrifoglio
The Quadrifoglio emblem (also called 'Cloverleaf') is the symbol of Alfa Romeo racing cars since 1923. Since WWII It's also used for the higher trim models of the range (comparable to BMW M Performance or Volkswagen GTI models), the cloverleaf being placed at the side panels of the car behind the front wheels. The symbol consists of a White triangle including a 4-leaves cloverleaf.

History of the symbol
In the early '20s there were three famous pilots and friends successfully racing for Alfa Romeo's racing team Alfa Corse. Enzo Ferrari, Antonio Ascari and Ugo Sivocci. The latter was, however very talented, often unlucky and seen as the eternal runner-up. Being tired of his lack of good fortune, he painted a white square with a 4-leaves cloverleaf at the start of the Targa Florio 1923; thus creating the legendary symbol. Guess what, Sivocci won the race. It was a glorious day for Alfa Corse with their racers ending 1st, 2nd and 4th in a mythical rally. This is why Alfa made it is's racing team emblem. A Few months later Sivocci died in a crash at the European Grand Prix in Monza. The car, the Alfa Romeo P1, did not carry the lucky charm.
In memory of the deceased driver, Alfa replaced the square with a triangle. The greatest pilots of history raced under the Quadrifoglio symbol. Drivers like Enzo Ferrari, Nino Farina and Juan Manuel Fangio achieved great succes with Alfa Romeo racing cars.
'66 Duetto (lacework of doom)
'73 1600 GT Junior (ensconced)
'03 156 1.9JTD Sportwagon (daily driver)

Evan Bottcher

Newest to oldest:
'13 Alfa Mito QV
'77 Alfasud Ti
'74 Alfasud Sedan
'68 1750 GTV
--> Slow and Fun - my Alfa journal

bonkfrog

I seem to remember that TI stood for Turismo Internazionale (or something close), a touring car race classification in the 1960s in Europe.

Pardon my adenoids (long since gone in an attack of surgical enthusiasm).

Bonkfrog
Current: Alfetta GTV 2.0
Past: GTJ1300 (2l conversion), Giulia Supers, Giulia 1600TI

Bellbird

OMG!!! Too much technical information!   :o  (but interesting never the less!)

Been down to the car shop.  Got a DEAD flat battery (due to tacho issue).  Which battery charger should I buy?  I think the $99 one is the go:

1 - Projecta PC 800 Charger:  12V  2-8A  $99 (on special for the "Suck up to the Old Man" (REALLY bad title) Father's Day catalogue.  Imagine if they wrote "Suck up to the Old Lady" for Mother's Day!!!!!!!  Lawyer's field day!

2 - Projecta 12 volt 4 amp 6 stage switch mode $86.00

Hopefully, when I get the tacho fixed, I won't be getting any more dead flat batteries.  The man in the shop said that these chargers are for batteries that still have some charge left.  Which one do you all recommend?   :)

Bellbird

BTW, got ArmorAll Clay bar system.  Is this one Ok Colin?

Craig_m67

What model 156 is it (sele, manual, 2.0L)
Post a picture of the tacho (black, silver or white?), I'll buy you it myself !! ;D

A battery charger is just good money after bad - fix the root cause, or take out the offending bulb in the rear right taillight which is draining the battery until you can. A second hand replacement tacho from Autolusso is probably no more than $60./ delivered. I'd consider a new battery if the one you have is greater than three years old.

:)

Is it this one ? >> http://www.autolusso.co.uk/parts/used-alfa-parts.html#ecwid:category=1382048&mode=product&product=5518943

Bellbird

Thanks Craig.  Yes it is that Tacho and it's OK - you don't need to buy it for me yourself! ;D  ;D  ;D

Mr Tim at Zoo Autocraft has sent me a similar pic and he is sourcing it for me and putting it in hopefully in two weekends time (have to go to the snow first and that will be in son's Honda.  NOT putting snow chains and roof racks on the Alfa!) 

It's a 156 manual Monza.

Am going to jump start it tomorrow and drive it around this week (will garage the Getz) because it has been flat for 5 days now and Tim says that a week is too long to leave it flat.  Just don't want to have to punch in all the codes again!   :(

Craig_m67

Take out the brake light bulb which is remaining dimly lit, you'll still have the middle and other brakes lamps if you drive it. Battery shouldn't drain then.

An Alfa in the snow is fun, the little hatch in the back seat is to stick you skis through!

Wandsworth Common, London

colcol

Bellbird, if you jump start it, then it will most likely go flat again, don't temp fate, wait until you get a new rev counter, then find out if you need a new battery, and while you are waiting on your new rev counter, you could try out your clay bar cleaning system, Armorall is a good brand, tell us how you go, battery chargers, where do we start?, i would get one that has a boost on it, that is, connect it up and press boost, and it puts a big fat charge in, and you will be able to start your car in 30 minutes, and for normal charging, flick to normal , and your battery will be right to go in the morning, Colin.
1974 VW Passat [ist car] 1984 Alfa 33TI [daily driver] 2002 Alfa 156 JTS [daily driver]

Bellbird

BEAUTIFLUL photo Craig!  Two very happy campers there!  I can see my wheels!!!!!  There is hope to get it to the snow yet!  :D  I am also getting premium NSW European personalised plates shortly so it will look just like yours!

Took bulb out.

Colin - I agree re jump starting but Housten, we have a problem. I am just SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO over the battery.  One of the very experienced Canberra Chapters had a look at the battery and thinks it could even be the original!  For $100, I'm just going to buy a new one and sort it!

I think the $99 on special charger has a boost so will get it on the 15th when it comes on special.

PS - Contacted the NSW club yesterday about membership! Want to go to their ten pin bowling night but more importantly, I think it is the right thing to do seeing as I have received so much valuable info from all you great people!  :)

Bellbird

I think I am honoured. ;D  (Have heard about this on the grapevine)

Mr Alpine Chapter is reading my posts!

ACE

Hey Bellbird,
Now that you are a true Alfista, you will just have to make time for one of MAC's tours!
ACE  ;D

trippytipo

I always thought that the green cloverleafs fading was just my luck with the car running out!  ;D

Quote from: Evan Bottcher on August 03, 2012, 10:38:35 AM
Our 2000 156 was a Monza - it was an Australian-market styling kit.  Side skirts (below the doors), pepper-pot alloy wheels, Momo leather seats, carbon fibre-look inserts in the centre console, red-on-black gauges, and the little stick-on green cloverleafs (from which the green fades quickly in the sun).  As Col says - the engine is the 2-litre twinspark.
2001 Alfa Romeo 156 V6 2.5 Monza

"There is no beauty which hath not some strangeness about its proportions."
- Sir Francis Bacon

Bellbird

William looks WAAAAAAAAAAAAAYYYYYYYYYYYY too scary!!!  Just don't think I could manage to get past him.  Went to the ten pin night.  Good fun!  Am seriously thinking about one of your trips as well.  :)