Does anybody need a shitbox?

Started by Mat Francis, July 25, 2012, 07:57:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mat Francis

As above, I have a perfect candidate for the rally. I bought it off my brother so i'd have an alfa to drive while I sorted my two broken ones, but I haven't even burnt a full tank of petrol in close to 4 months. If I was going to do the rally I would use it myself, but unfortunately this is not the case. It's now getting in my way, and to be honest I don't really have a future use for it.

If it could be of interest to anybody I'll go into detail about it and exactly what it will/shouldn't need, but the short version is that it's still a perfectly drivable car, with rego till september, that will come with a whole lot of spare parts I think could be useful.

Oh and as I own it, I'm sure you've already worked out that it's an alfetta sedan.
'83 Alfetta Sedan TS
'88 75 3.0
'85 Land Rover County
'87 Land Rover Perentie

Craig_m67

I need a Shitbox for the rally, although I am in Brissy.  I was also hoping for a manual v6 (90/75?) or a hopeless 105spider, just for laughs/sunburn (yes, there's nix hope of either).

This could be a fantastic idea for a thread if others contributed potential drivers (it's a polite hijack I know)  ;D
'66 Duetto (lacework of doom)
'73 1600 GT Junior (ensconced)
'03 156 1.9JTD Sportwagon (daily driver)

dehne

hey Matt
what $$$ are you thinking, can you put some pics up I know someone who wants a new toy
now
1x 85 mdl road 90
2013 Giulietta 1.4
2015 Launch Edition Giulietta
Past
Multiple Alfa 90's, Alfetta's and 147's

Mat Francis

Here's a not very recent one. The body is pretty rough (had a few minor incidents since this, but nothing structural).

For someone to use as a shitbox I reckon around $500 with a set of 15" wheels with rally tyres, a very good spare 1.8L engine minus carbs (the engine in it is alright, still goes bloody well. Just starting to blow a bit of smoke. If I was going to rally it I would swap the 1.8 in, but that's just me), spare shock absorbers, brakes etc.

Depends what your mate wants with it though. At $500 i'd be keeping the simmons wheels, the bilsteins and the 156 seats that are currently in it.

'83 Alfetta Sedan TS
'88 75 3.0
'85 Land Rover County
'87 Land Rover Perentie

aggie57

Mat - whats the reg number?  I had one like that many years ago.
Alister
14 Alfa's since 1977. 
Currently 1973 GTV 2000, 2020 911 C2S MT, 2021 Mercedes GLE350, 2023 Polestar 2 LRDM
Gone......far too many to list

Mat Francis

It was unregistered when we bought it, but in a previous life it was RUV 733, according to our records. Sound familiar?
'83 Alfetta Sedan TS
'88 75 3.0
'85 Land Rover County
'87 Land Rover Perentie

Sheldon McIntosh

aggie57

Quote from: Mat Francis on July 26, 2012, 07:00:51 PM
It was unregistered when we bought it, but in a previous life it was RUV 733, according to our records. Sound familiar?

Nope - mine was AFA something. Thanks anyway. Still a great colour!
Alister
14 Alfa's since 1977. 
Currently 1973 GTV 2000, 2020 911 C2S MT, 2021 Mercedes GLE350, 2023 Polestar 2 LRDM
Gone......far too many to list

Craig_m67

Quote from: Mat Francis on July 26, 2012, 05:59:34 PM
Here's a not very recent one. The body is pretty rough (had a few minor incidents since this, but nothing structural).

For someone to use as a shitbox I reckon around $500 with a set of 15" wheels with rally tyres, a very good spare 1.8L engine minus carbs (the engine in it is alright, still goes bloody well. Just starting to blow a bit of smoke. If I was going to rally it I would swap the 1.8 in, but that's just me), spare shock absorbers, brakes etc.

Depends what your mate wants with it though. At $500 i'd be keeping the simmons wheels, the bilsteins and the 156 seats that are currently in it.

Talk to me, talk to me.. Would it get a roadworthy ?
More pics, info please
Where is it exactly, anybody want to do PDC ? :)

Mat Francis

I'll give it a proper go through tomorrow morning, take pictures etc.

Without getting you too excited or committing to anything, I wouldn't be too worried about possible delivery to Brisbane if it's for the cause. That is to say id back the car to get me there. The logistics is another thing entirely.

I'll report back tomorrow.
'83 Alfetta Sedan TS
'88 75 3.0
'85 Land Rover County
'87 Land Rover Perentie

Craig_m67

ItalCarGuy

Do it Craig! I supplied Tsu in Malaysia with some graphics for his Super and he just used removable stickers, including for the white roof. Came up a treat.

Craig_m67

*L* ... i think i'm in already.

I'm sure I read somewhere that you could model as a uniformed Carabinieri for photo ops ?
(or am am I making this up and leading you on, yes wrong force  ;D?)

Mat Francis

Alright well I wanted to move it into the car port and give it a wash to give you a better idea, but it just did not want to start. That's what I get for leaving it parked there for a month and not driving it. I didn't fight it much, really didn't feel like getting soaked when I can do it tomorrow or another day.

Starting at the front of the car. Minor damage to the drivers side front guard. Easily "fixed" with a can of paint of similar colour. Otherwise front end ok.

Engine- when driven and not left to sit, ran well. Used oil (can't give you an exact figure, as again I didn't drive it enough to find out). Has the usual minor weeps and such but no major leaks. Does not use any coolant, and it is very clean. As above, would recommend fitting the good 1.8L engine, but if I was going to drive it to QLD I don't think this is going to be realistic. Even if I did get the engine into the back seat for the trip up there, getting it out at the other end and such is a nightmare. I don't have time to do it myself unfortunately. 

Brakes on the car are good. Well it stops well. I don't know how the pads or discs are until I get it apart a bit, but I will have spare ones to give away with the car anyway. (Except rear discs, I've run out of them). Pedal is good, I think we may have re done the master cylinder a couple of years back, but don't quote me on that.

The windscreen has a stone chip in it. I was really annoyed by this, as we'd swapped the screen about 3 weeks before some dick head mowing his lawn flicked the stone up as I drove past. I couldn't tell you whether it will be acceptable or not for a RWC, I don't know what the rules are. However it hasn't gotten any bigger or worse if that counts for anything.

Steering rack will need a little attention. The inner tie rod on the drivers side has a bit of play in it. Again, still drives fine, but will probably need to sort that out for a RWC.

Moving back the driveline is good. No vibrations, donuts should still be good. Last inspected about 4 months ago with nothing to worry about, and very few kms since. Clutch working fine, again no reason to have any doubts. The driveline was never really abused (hard starts, dropping the clutch etc), so no reason this would cause any foreseeable issues.

The gearbox went in it about 5 months ago after the spider gears in the diff exploded while Scott was cruising along in 4th gear. The syncros when cold aren't great, but once warm it's fine and doesn't make any noises or jump out of gear. Obviously the oil in it is pretty new, so you shouldn't need to touch or worry about that. Driveshafts were ok so didn't bother touching them- should be fine.

It has 23mm gtv6 torsion bars in it and chopped springs. You will DEFINITELY need to raise it before rally it. I would just move the lower control arms one spline and give yourself another 2 inches at the front, and I will supply appropriate springs for the back with the car. I'm also going to swap the front shock absorbers with some acceptable standard ones- to be honest it's wasteful of a pair of good bilsteins if it's going to be rallied.

Moving to the back and she ain't so pretty. Scott was a pretty careless with a few parking spots and in a rush. Drivers side has been backed into a concrete pole,  and had a backyard fix with a press, mallet and can of spray paint of vaguely similar colour. Not pretty, but it works. There is also rust in the lower part of the panel that has been bogged up before. You will probably need to do this again I would think. Same story for under the rear screen drivers side. Might get away with passengers as it. While you're bogging that might as well see if you can smooth out the damaged corner and bit.

Passengers side rear corner has also been scraped into our retaining wall in the driveway. This one isn't so bad, another quick spray would make it acceptable.

The A pillars under the windscreen are fine. No rust at all.

All the instruments work to my knowledge (oil pressure, temp, fuel gauge, tacho, speedo). The heater fan only has one speed (flat out), and there was one occasion where it didn't work for me. Don't know why, don't know if it's going to do it again, something to be aware of.

That's all I can think of for now, I'm sure there will be plenty more questions I haven't answered.
'83 Alfetta Sedan TS
'88 75 3.0
'85 Land Rover County
'87 Land Rover Perentie

Mat Francis

More
'83 Alfetta Sedan TS
'88 75 3.0
'85 Land Rover County
'87 Land Rover Perentie