Wheel spacers

Started by alfa duk, July 08, 2012, 05:47:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

alfa duk

Well after all that, i am in the process of getting these hub centering spacers. I note what you say scott and got the spacers machined to fit tight or at least closer than the standard hub to wheel arrangement. I will report on the vibration issue after testing in the new year. It was an interesting observation from MD about the wheel track being wider at the front being better for handling. My opinion is that the gtv6 is a natural understeerer, by increasing the rear track and introducing oversteer it balances the car. Do we need to create a new post? Duk
85 gtv6 dead, cant let go
84 gtv6 24 valve VRA spec
84 gtv6 andalusia
80 gtv group s

alfa duk

This is what i had made up. 15mm front 25mm rear to suit 6inch wheel with a 18mm offset. Rear spacer has a step in the hub hole to add some strength as the spacer wall is 4 to 5mm thick on the section that centres the wheel. Front is not thick enough to do the same. Makes the car look like its been on steroids.
84 gtv6 andalusia
80 gtv group s

Evan Bottcher

Do you have a photo of the car with the spacers fitted?
Newest to oldest:
'13 Alfa Mito QV
'77 Alfasud Ti
'74 Alfasud Sedan
'68 1750 GTV
--> Slow and Fun - my Alfa journal

alfa duk

Will do when it comes back from some surgery.
84 gtv6 andalusia
80 gtv group s

alfa duk

Finally got her back and dry weather to take the shots
84 gtv6 andalusia
80 gtv group s

alfa duk

Some more
84 gtv6 andalusia
80 gtv group s

Midda Samid

Hi Duk, just saw this post, I have been laying low for some months.. do you have any wheel clearance issues with the rear under squat? and I guess depending on the castor angle, you'd have turn in clearance issues with such a wheel offset? certainly a broad stance.. I noticed no one piped up about the front to rear track discussion on oversteer/understeer.. I personally would have thought a wider front and narrower rear will induce oversteer..

sorry to restart an old post..
'77 116 GTV

alfa duk

Hi Midda, Rear guards need to have the lips rolled and not sure about turn in clearance with group s cars as they are restricted to 2 degrees camber. I run another alfetta with the same wheels but with 4.5 degrees camber and it just touches the firewall. I never ran that car  in the pictures with the spacers as it was sold before i could test.  If you are not familiar with group s rules, the wheels are a 14x6 and use 60 series rubber. Different types of rubber albeit the same specification are different in dimension. My findings are using the Bridgestone re55s. In regard to the front to rear track, check out MDs comments within this topic, He has a better explanation of the science than i am able to give.
84 gtv6 andalusia
80 gtv group s