Type - R Gtv6

Started by julianB, July 08, 2012, 11:19:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Darryl

Quote from: festy on July 18, 2012, 11:32:53 AM
Clark rubber for the generic seals, much cheaper.
They sell stuff like Bailey channel etc off the roll.

Also Scott's in Vic carry some seals for the Alfettas, see http://www.scottsoldautorubber.com.au/ALFA%20ROMEO%201974-85%20ALFETTA%20GTV.htm

Clark rubber *in theory* sell Bailey channel but I spent a fruitless few hours driving across town to visit 2 Brisbane Clark rubber stores, first of which had 2 profiles but not the one I was looking for, initially denied there were any other profiles then when presented with web site on phone still refused to order in or get a sample and reluctantly suggested the second store was bigger and would have it in stock. That store actually had the same 2 profiles but only a couple of meters of each but at least the staff member I spoke to there was helpful and suggested that I was now just around the corner from Rare Spares and that I try them.

Rare Spares, while a Holden and to a lesser extent Ford restoration parts supplier did indeed have Bailey channel for Alfetta sedan - same channel as a Commodore, problem solved. Also had some panel clips I'd been looking for and were generally very helpful....

I'm pretty sure the profile I was looking for at Clark rubber based on web site image was the same profile Rare Spares had - so if your local Clark Rubber store is actually interested in providing a service and selling something you can probably get the same thing there.... Or if you want 30m order it online....

julianB

Been very busy at work- living part-time between Bris and Sydney, but it's drawing to a close at the end of june.

Sitting around has taken it's toll....!

Sourced new balljoints for the LCA and castor rods (105 ones). Whole front end will be rebuilt with PACE knuckle risers and RS coils soon.

Mufflers arrived. Exhaust can start soon.

Still stuffing around with seat rails. Driving me insane.

Zenders on.

Getting there......
85 GTV6 "Juliet"
GTA conversion-
AHM ITB setup, Jim K manifolds & 10.3 cams, M84
17" Work Meister S1R
330mm Brembo front, vented rears
RS coilovers and bits
Recaro LX mesh headrest buckets

'68 step nose Junior "Romeo"
bare metal project

julianB

Pics
85 GTV6 "Juliet"
GTA conversion-
17" Work Meister S1R
RS coilovers and bits

bare metal project

julianB

pics
85 GTV6 "Juliet"
GTA conversion-
17" Work Meister S1R
RS coilovers and bits

bare metal project

julianB

In the previous pics you can:

see the difference between the new and old collectors, and the exhaust system. Hugh even notched the rear crossmember to fit the exhaust nice and snug. I can't believe the amount of ground clearance I have now. Even with the car lowered.
The exhaust sounds deeper and much more nicely muffled. Haven't heard the car at 7.5-8k yet so I don't know how it sounds at full noise.

RS front suspension and PACE knuckle risers. Got a pic of the rear somewhere but macbook dying and I don't have charger handy so just typing!

The trimmer got loaded up with a few "full jobs" so couldn't take to my trim in time. I'm going for a Blue slip ASAP so I got the untouched interior off him and it's all been fitted. I'll take it to him at a later date to have the roof lining and seats re-trimmed, Pillars etc. All back to as close to factory as possible, in one go. Hopefully a few weeks.

There's a shot of the billet pieces Hugh made  to mount the Vitaloni Baby Tornado mirrors. These look so close to the factory ones but now I have two. They are non power. Doesn't bother me.

Gave her a clean and had to take a shot while there was some light left.

Plates ordered. Hoping to be driving her shortly.... a few things still need fixing up!

Cheers
J
85 GTV6 "Juliet"
GTA conversion-
17" Work Meister S1R
RS coilovers and bits

bare metal project

julianB

And.... Wow! Drove it home today!
The RS kit is brilliant. Brilliant!
The steering with the knuckle risers is amazing- it's so agile!
A short period to enjoy as she's off to the trimmers tomorrow.
Still a few things to sort out, but I will make some vids soon.
85 GTV6 "Juliet"
GTA conversion-
17" Work Meister S1R
RS coilovers and bits

bare metal project

massiveluvbuddy67

Well done a great journey.

It would make a great article for the magazine. Interested in putting finger to keyboard with a few high res photos?

martym00se72

Great work! Those wheels really work. What model are those Recaro seats? Wouldn't mind something a bit more snug around the sides...
'83 GTV6 - 3.0 is in! Ohhh yeah!
'99 156 T-spark - Formula 98 ready!

What do people do with their old 2.5...?

julianB

Thanks, gents!
Felt great to heel n toe an alfetta again!
Phil, I'd be honoured! Thank you! PM me of what you are looking for in an article so I can be succinct and I'm happy to oblige!
Ill wait until the interior is finished before I take some more shots.

Marty, the recaros are an LX- the pros : are they are much lighter than the originals- MUCH!
They have the mesh headrest for that original look, and they are a good width and height for the car
I can't see a con (but I'm generally glass half full), but the bolstering is good from what I experienced today- may be a different story on the track...

The 156 rims need their centrebores machined out to alfetta diameter, at which point ill fit semi slicks- no track days until funds permit that ... I will update!
85 GTV6 "Juliet"
GTA conversion-
17" Work Meister S1R
RS coilovers and bits

bare metal project

julianB

Interior is done... Wow! Ill wash her and get some nice photos soon!
85 GTV6 "Juliet"
GTA conversion-
17" Work Meister S1R
RS coilovers and bits

bare metal project

julianB

First off, the fuel smell is ridiculous! I've got monday and tuesday planned to take apart the fuel system again and replace all hoses. I'll be following Al Campbell's post from earlier on and hoping to have a result.

But driving her just gets better and better. The front end no longer seems to load up and compress to the point where it seems to "fall over" on the outside front... the steering stays light, I can get on the power and just drive through corners... but here's the catch- it steers so much better (and I'm so out of practice!) that I don't trust myself to be able to catch the tail and drift it right now... I will edge my way into this on the track.

My little 2.5 screamer is getting better with every drive. She is obviously happy to be back on the road. Got some custom plates. They weren't my first choice, but they suit the car... they're just a regular no. plate with letters first, numbers second. They contain a "6" and the letters "GTV", so I'm happy  ;)

Interior pics- it almost looks factory, with a subtly modified taste to it, IMO. I love it.
My girlfriend and another friend (female), both interior designers by trade, had questioned my scheme.... and both have given it the nod.... not that is was ever "my" scheme!
85 GTV6 "Juliet"
GTA conversion-
17" Work Meister S1R
RS coilovers and bits

bare metal project

julianB

an outside shot and I found a cousin, just round the corner :)
85 GTV6 "Juliet"
GTA conversion-
17" Work Meister S1R
RS coilovers and bits

bare metal project

julianB

I've had a busy, busy period over the last few years.... My workload has increased dramatically and there's been a fair bit of work related study occurring. I began renovating my unit...when a forum member offered an engine I thought would suit my end goal very nicely. Unfortunately, a few large things went wrong with the unit and sucked a bit more of my savings out than I would have liked and the sale fell through.

Then I blew a front donut at 8000rpm in 2nd gear (the front wheels were doing about 60km/h and the rears... Much more lol)  while showing off to a mate hahaha
Well, first one in 13 years, so Beninca's balancing job has played its part! I had it coming.serves me right!

In October, I purchased a GTA engine that came out of a wrecked car showing 90,000km.
The plan is some slight re profiling of the cams and machining of the base circles for more lift.
Skim the heads and match port the inlets to what is likely to be a set of Jenvey throttle bodies.
The heads will be skimmed for some extra compression. Not much.
I'm looking at ECU options but it's looking like a Motec M84 and PDM combination- the whole car will be re-wired and I won't have a fuse box or any questionable connections to worry about. Every electrical part in the car will receive its full system voltage and switches won't wear out (I recently replaced a steering switch assembly unit).

The accumulation of new bits has started!

I won't fix the tail shaft/donut. We are going fabricate a new one and a flywheel to take a BMW E46 M3donut front and centre and leave the Alfa one at the clutch end. Recently, I've heard of a few other Alfetta tailshafts having their yoke end bolts start to splay out from abuse over the years, causing donuts to fail (as mine did). A modern donut design will provide longevity and good quality parts for years to come.

Some 147 GTA 330mm type calipers are currently being coated at HPC in Sydney (inspired in part, by Shiny car's awesome work on his 75). I think I've deicded against a full floating set up for the front discs. The bling would have been amazing but I would prefer to spend the $ elsewhere.

I have a spare (fibreglass copy from Alfpa)  zender bumper and it's painted to match the car.
I'm going to play with this one a bit. Looking at www.aeroloc.co.uk bits to come up with a quickly interchangeable solution for track days.

156 rims have had their centrebores machines to the correct diameter.

Probably going to purchase a fibreglass South African 3.0 bonnet (with the NACA ducting) and have some extra venting added to it.
This will serve as air for the ITBs and also heat removal.

Anyone with some good stereo ideas, please feel free to suggest. Looking for a purely blue tooth system and two good all around speakers for the front door. Light and not too intrusive, but loud enough for Jamiroquai to be heard on country drives!

85 GTV6 "Juliet"
GTA conversion-
17" Work Meister S1R
RS coilovers and bits

bare metal project

festy

Quote from: julianB on March 12, 2016, 07:59:23 PM
In October, I purchased a GTA engine
If that still turns out to be too slow, you should now be able to get a 5.7L LS1 engineered in a 116 coupe under NCOP regs, and they're dirt cheap 8)

julianB

I love the new chev engines, but I could never bring myself to put anything but an Alfa engine in an Alfa...nope, this is the last stuff I'll do to this GTV6.

I'm still craving a turbo 4... And I think I my GT Jr is going to play host to one down the track!
85 GTV6 "Juliet"
GTA conversion-
17" Work Meister S1R
RS coilovers and bits

bare metal project