Single windscreen wiper set up

Started by MD, July 01, 2012, 06:34:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MD

Hi Guys,
I normally don't leave any original wiper mechanisms in place to save weight. Lately I have been caught short with all this friggin rain we are having. I am reluctanly thinking of putting just a single wiper set up back in.

Ideally, it should be installed on the driver's side with only a 90* arc which should suffice. Most of the hatches that I can think of usually move a larger arc than that.

Anyone know of a simple solution for this in an Alfetta GTV ?
Transaxle Alfas Haul More Arse.

Current Fleet
Alfetta GTV6 3.0
Alfetta GTV Twin Spark supercharged racer
75 1.8L supercharged racer

Past Fleet
Alfa GT 3.2V6
Alfetta GTV 2.0
Giulia Super 2.0
Berlina 2.0

Neil Choi

MD

I have heard a Ford Laser rear wiper motor might be applicable, but don't quote me on this, vague memory from conversation at the bar on club nights.

Neil

Bear157

Just did the single wiper from KE Laser on mine. Bit of rigging around, but it works well now. It is the rear wiper motor from the Laser as was just mentioned, but MD I put mine in the centre hole because I have the battery isolator emergency puller coming out of the drivers side one. Took a bit to adjust, but the arc goes from the edge of screen in front of driver to about half way in front of passenger side. If you are at QR on Sunday I'll show you my setup. Rob

MD

Hi Rob,

I have my battery emergency pull cable there too. It's a logical place if you dont use wipers. I am going to have to move it somewhere else because the middle position is all used up with a bank of four double ended HT coils and these take precedence.

I came across some marine wiper motors that have a selection of arcs which may be usefull in the end. Look forward to catching up with you just the same. I am just hoping for some good cold air and no frigging rain !!  ;D

Current Fleet
Alfetta GTV6 3.0

Past Fleet
Alfa GT 3.2V6
Alfetta GTV 2.0
Giulia Super 2.0
Berlina 2.0

Bear157

Yes...wiper or not...no rain would be handy :-)

I'm interested to see how the marine wipers go. I've never been overly impressed with the wipes on boats that I have seen, but that isn't to say the ones you have aren't better than that.

MD

Found this one :

Heavy Duty 2 Speed Motor
2.5" Shaft - 12Volt

Black Powder Coated Housing
    304 Stainless Steel Mounting Plate & Mounting Hardware
    316 Stailess Steel Shaft
    Chrome Plated Brass Shaft Housing
    Adjustable Sweep 45°, 60°, 80°, & 110°
    Adjustable Park Position Right or Left
    Will Power up to a 24" Arm & 22" Blade
    Guaranteed 3 Years

Current Fleet
Alfetta GTV6 3.0

Past Fleet
Alfa GT 3.2V6
Alfetta GTV 2.0
Giulia Super 2.0
Berlina 2.0

Bear157

Looks like a good option with the limited arc you were looking for Mike.